Register

Filter jugs (e.g. Brita)?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Filter jugs (e.g. Brita)?

Postby slimpersoninside » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:24 pm

Daughter doesn't like the taste of the water from her tap ( :roll: it tastes fine to us) so is planning to get a filter jug thingy that will fit in the fridge.
We have never owned one and don't know anything about them.
Can anyone recommend one please?

Thanks.

Re: Filter jugs (e.g. Brita)?

Postby Pampy » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:22 am

Have you considered fitting a filtered water tap next to the sink? eg https://www.pozzani.co.uk/systems.html
I have one and find it far more convenient than the jug that I had prior to having it fitted. The cartridge only needs changing every 6-8 months and the refill cartridge for mine only costs about £15.

Postby Renee » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:30 am

I've had Brita jug filters in the past and they do work well. I stopped using it a while ago, but they do get rid of the slight chlorine smell. I can recommend them.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:59 am

I’ve had the Brita jugs in the past, they work fine though they are a bit awkward but I agree with Pampy that the Pozzani filter is much, much better

Apart from being nicer to drink straight - I keep a bottle chilling in the fridge - the water makes much nicer tea and coffee and doesn’t clog up your coffee machine

The other advantage is that they do a range of different filters for different types of tap water, it’s worth phoning for help if not sure which one to go for

Postby scullion » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:50 am

i, too, gave up on filter jugs a decade or more ago and fitted a pozzani for us (quite easy to do if you can drill a hole in your counter top or sink surround etc) far more convenient and a far better filtration level - the cats prefer the water, too - when they aren't drinking from buckets in the garden.

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:18 pm

We've had a Brita for years and started using non-Brita cartridges a few years ago, saving masses of money. We haven't noticed any difference between the brand and the subs. Brita water definitely tastes better than London unflitered water.

Postby herbidacious » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:30 pm

Interesting. I have been using Brita for decades. (Never had to de-fur the kettle even in Oxford and certainly not in London.)

Would love to have one fitted to the litchen sink tap, but it would be a hard sell with husband.

How cost effective is Pozzani? I take it you need a special tap...

I am, though, happy to drink unfiltered tap water. I only used the filtered water for the kettle and coffee machine, and don't seem to need to change the filter that often, so it doesn't feel expensive. That said, KC2 which non Brita filters do you use? Do they fit in a Brita jug?

Postby Loulou » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:14 pm

I bought a cheap one in Aldi which fits inside our fridge door. Here in the South East our water is not very palatable. It’s ok for tea/ coffee but I don’t like the taste. Mine is a Brita but the Matrix cartridges are expensive!

Postby scullion » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:17 pm

herbidacious wrote:How cost effective is Pozzani? I take it you need a special tap...

i bought ours on eBay for £15 it was an unwanted, new one, so very cost effective! that came with a stand-alone tap for which i drilled the required hole in the edge of the stainless steel sink unit opposite the mixer tap.
i have bought another for my new kitchen sink unit, which is one of their three way taps, which cost about £100 but includes the filter system so would just replace an ordinary mixer tap (very good value if you need/want a new mixer tap).
the filters are then about £12 - £15 twice a year, that you can get sent to you on a rolling contract, so you don't even have to think about buying them. very useful.
we use it for all drinking and most cooking water as our unfiltered water tastes vile. it's a big shock when drinking coffee at friends!

Postby PatsyMFagan » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:46 pm

On the recommendation of Scully and Sue, I too bought a Pozzani. It didn't take my plumber long to fit it, although I think Scully fitted her own.

I got tired of continually having to fill up the Brita jug and the filters weren't that cheap. I think my pozzani filter is £15 and lasts 6 months iirc ?

Postby aero280 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:39 pm

If you have a plumbed in filter, just make sure that you remember to change the filter. When people first stared fitting these, we got a lot of complaints about water taste. A look at the filter and the customer changed it, if they didn't faint!! :o Most were sort of black and green.

But you don't need a filter to get rid of the chlorine taint. Just a jug in the fridge will be enough.

Postby slimpersoninside » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:09 pm

Thank you all.

Those Pozzani look interesting, I'll have a look at her sink when I'm next there and see if it could be added without much fuss (attach to the sink/draining board area rather than a hole in the worktop).

I don't really know what she doesn't like about the taste but I don't think it's chlorine, I've not found the water to have that kind of taste. She's just fussy if you ask me :roll: :lol: .

ETA: what size is the tap base of the Pozzani please? Also, what one do you have? I'm assuming the 1.5l per minute is fine if only using for drinking water - it would not be used for cooking or even hot drinks.

Cheers.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:13 pm

slimpersoninside wrote:ETA: what size is the tap base of the Pozzani please? Also, what one do you have? I'm assuming the 1.5l per minute is fine if only using for drinking water - it would not be used for cooking or even hot drinks.

I don't know where in the country your daughter is, but imo not using it for hot drinks would be a crying shame - it is so much nicer! Brita used to give you two tea bags and tell you to make one cup using filtered water and one using unmodified tap water - you could both see and taste the scum on the unfiltered cuppa and I would not put unfiltered water into my espresso machine if I could possibly avoid it, it makes a difference

Our water is less awful than it used to be - at one point it was so heavily chlorinated that if you ran a hot shower the bathroom smelled like a swimming pool, and it used to have a lot of iron salts in it, you could see that the lime scale was rust coloured, not chalky

This is the tap, with a teaspoon for scale, and that's quite a small glass

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:14 pm

herbidacious wrote:I am, though, happy to drink unfiltered tap water. I only used the filtered water for the kettle and coffee machine, and don't seem to need to change the filter that often, so it doesn't feel expensive. That said, KC2 which non Brita filters do you use? Do they fit in a Brita jug?

We've got the "Classic Brita" jug - the original I think, before they brought out the Maxi or whatever it's called. Must have had it 20 years.
We get a 12 pack of Dafi Classic Water Filter Cartridges on Amazon, that fit Brita Classic and Dafi Classic Jugs. They're less than half the price, I think, and I was very dubious initially, having always bought genuine Britas, but I have no complaints at all about the subs.

We play "hunt the water filter" in our kitchen, as I have to constantly move it out of the direct sun and hide it in corners to prevent it from building up green algae, which show(s) up against the white plastic!

I generally replace the water filter and defuzz the kettle at the same time.

Postby slimpersoninside » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:35 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:
slimpersoninside wrote:ETA: what size is the tap base of the Pozzani please? Also, what one do you have? I'm assuming the 1.5l per minute is fine if only using for drinking water - it would not be used for cooking or even hot drinks.

I don't know where in the country your daughter is, but imo not using it for hot drinks would be a crying shame - it is so much nicer! Brita used to give you two tea bags and tell you to make one cup using filtered water and one using unmodified tap water - you could both see and taste the scum on the unfiltered cuppa and I would not put unfiltered water into my espresso machine if I could possibly avoid it, it makes a difference

Our water is less awful than it used to be - at one point it was so heavily chlorinated that if you ran a hot shower the bathroom smelled like a swimming pool, and it used to have a lot of iron salts in it, you could see that the lime scale was rust coloured, not chalky

This is the tap, with a teaspoon for scale, and that's quite a small glass

Thanks Sue, it is indeed small.

The reason for no hot drinks is she doesn't drink them - at least very rarely. I probably should have put very rarely rather than never :D .

Do you have the 1.5 or 3 L per minute?

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:54 pm

That's the 1.5 L I think

No, if you don't drink tea, you wouldn't use it for that :lol:

Postby PatsyMFagan » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:01 pm

Re: not changing the filter in a timely manner, Pozzani send an email/order reminder, so no excuse to forget ;) :thumbsup
Last edited by PatsyMFagan on Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby slimpersoninside » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:22 pm

Thanks again.

I'm interested in one of them myself! I have a prosumer type espresso machine for which I buy bottled water, and even then there are only 2/3 that are recommended. If I can replace it with one of these I'd be a happy bunny, I don't mind the expense of bottled water but would prefer to give the plastic a miss.

Postby scullion » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:49 pm

this is the type i have - with the same shaped tap.
thank you for starting this thread, it has reminded me that i haven't updated my card details with them - i had been wondering when my next filter would arrive!

Postby slimpersoninside » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:45 pm

Glad it served as a reminder Scully :thumbsup .

Daughter likes the look of it. We're going to have a look tomorrow (hopefully) to see if we can fit one in. If so it'll be full steam ahead.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox