Register

pasta varieties.

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: pasta varieties.

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:09 pm

Anyone with a pasta machine, in all honesty, when's the last time you made pasta from scratch?

Guilty as charged, officer. About two years ago. And you´re absolutely right; home-made is far, far superior to the bought stuff.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:14 pm

Tony Singh uses his pasta machine for rolling samosa wrappers, which seems to work well

I sometimes buy the filled tortellini , usually the spinach and ricotta ones, an easy quick meal

Postby Amyw » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:19 pm

I like the filled tortellini too . One of the quickest meals you can do and most types I’ve tried are pretty good

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:57 pm

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:52 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:
I sometimes buy the filled tortellini , usually the spinach and ricotta ones, an easy quick meal

And even better with some wilted spinach, cream, parmesan and grated nutmeg ... and practically as quick and easy!

Before Covid I'd already noticed quite a difference in the pasta varieties available at our local big Tesco.They used to have lots of really interesting shapes but the last time we were there, before lockdown, only the basics were on the shelf -at that stage still plenty. It was before panic buying had set in. Certainly there's not much choice online now.

There was a fab Nigel Slater recipe for Roast tomatoes with za'atar and mograbia - we couldn't get the giant couscous and he suggested orzo as an alternative. I'd had a bag in the cupboard for years and it worked really well in it.
https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/j ... d-mograbia

Postby WWordsworth » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:41 pm

I sometimes add cooked orzo to a salad, instead of new potatoes or bread

Postby herbidacious » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:57 pm

I tidied my food 'larder' cupboard the other day and there were probably about 5 different types, but I don't eat a lot of pasta and I am not very fussy about what type. I prefer tagliatelli to spaghetti. I do rather like casarecce for some reason. I usually have etiher penne or fusilli, and lasagne. But I think there are few other things in the cupboard too.
I have a pasta machine too but got out of the habit of using it when I had no surface to attach it too. Not had that excuse really for quite a long time now.
I was researching pasta shapes for something at work recently...

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:03 pm

We tend to have spaghetti, linguine, tagliatelle, farfalle, penne and lasagne as staples. The girls eat a lot of pasta. Sometime orzo or other small pasta. Paparardelle if we’re making a thick ragu (esp the Nigel Slater pork rib ragu).

We have a pasta machine and use it once or twice a year but I’ve never been 100% happy with the results :?

We often have shop bought tortellini in, Waitrose have the best I’ve tried. As Amy said, they’re brilliant for a very quick dinner.

Postby Loulou » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:36 am

I have quite a few different ones: macaroni and lasagne sheets are two that I hardly ever use, but penne, rigatoni, farfalle and spirals are the main ones I turn to. I bought a few bags today in M&S as they were reduced to 50p as were their jars of sauce. Why, I don’t know as bb 2023! I don’t like tortellini, and for some reason big pasta shapes put me off!

Postby aero280 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:43 am

OH bought some multi coloured pasta in the shape of musical notes and symbols once. I think that she found it in Italy.

Postby Suffs » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:41 am

aero280 wrote:OH bought some multi coloured pasta in the shape of musical notes and symbols once. I think that she found it in Italy.

Now don’t get us started on unconventional pasta shapes Aero ... that’s dangerous territory
... my boss once took great exception to some ‘unusually shaped pasta’ in her Secret Santa gift :shock:
Not from me I hasten to add!

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:57 am

I had heard that many people took the opportunity to use up such gifts during lockdown when other shapes were scarce.

Postby jeral » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:14 pm

I forget about tortellini. I quite like it done as pot stickers, i.e. boil then lightly fry the bottom.

There's silky tortellini things from Poland IIRC which are very nice although a touch too expensive in value terms. From Tesco or Ocado I think.

Postby Grasshopper » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:28 pm

Stokey Sue wrote: I sometimes buy the filled tortellini , usually the spinach and ricotta ones, an easy quick meal

We like those! There are several different fillings. We like to make a quick (usually tomato-based) sauce to go with.
A good, substantial meal for the 3 of us - and there's sometimes even a lunch portion left.

:mrgreen:
Grasshopper
Grasshopper

Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw.
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door.

Postby halfateabag » Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:17 pm

On pasta shapes.... I bought some 'rude' pasta and gave it to a close fiend for Crimbo.....she found it hilarious.

I have a pasta machine but find it is best for the 2 of us to operate together doing a 'pasta session'. Normally taggliatelle then we hang it on the clothes airer to dry and stack it in a shoe box. This is normally done when the weather is rubbish as it takes most of a morning to make and clean the kitchen afterwards ! :oops:

If I have a bit of left over pasta (not enough for a portion) I sometimes make an omelette mixture and add the pasta to it and make a kind of frittata for brekkie/lunch. You can add chopped meat/ham, herbs etc.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:26 pm

There's a new TV programme on this topic posted by Mark on the TV thread...

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4594&p=92996#p92996

Postby Lokelani » Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:54 pm

I'm particularly keen on pappardelle at the moment. Bucatini, the big shells or some kind of fusilli is usually in the cupboard. There'll also be some lasagne sheets & macaroni, but I don't use them very often. I'll sometimes pay more for the egg pasta, still dried, I rarely buy fresh.

Reminds me I haven't seen the tricole ones around for a while, they used to be quite popular.

The pasta extruder I bought for my Kenwood Chef is really good & fun to use. Washing it up afterwards is not quite such fun. So I haven't used it for a year or two...

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox