Register

Suggestion Box

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Site Admin

Suggestion Box

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:51 pm

Now that the influx of Wildies has had time to settle down a bit, we're asking if there are any suggestions that you feel might improve things here; if you're a Wildie is there anything you miss.

We've already had a couple of suggestions that have cropped up along the way, with potential minor tweaks in the offing.

A couple of immediate(ish) changes - we will be reinstating the editing facility (it currently has a time limit for historical reason), and will also be reinstating the guest Search function (currently you can only search when logged in).

Re: Suggestion Box

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:56 pm

It may just be me, but when I want to copy part of another poster's post, I can't just hi-light and copy the part I want ... I have to copy ALL of the post and then just delete the bits I don't want.

I also wonder why there is all the christmas emoji thingys down the side all year round :?:

Postby Suffs » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:13 pm

It's only a little thing ... but I miss a 'coffee mug' emoji in the morning ;)

And I wanted to ask ... will we need to open a new conversation thread from time to time in order that it doesn't get too huge and slow to load or whatever? If so how often and will we have a scheme for titling them as we did on Wildfood?

And do we need to keep two conversation-type threads going? Don't want to tread on any toes and am happy either way ... I know we Wildies can rattle on a bit and traditionally the chat here has been at a gentler pace ... don't want the original residents to feel they're being swept along by the incomers ....

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:38 pm

On that front, it is clear already that the Wildie-type chatterbox generates a huge file.. from that point of view, is ok to delete old posts rather than leave them forever, say a couple of months after a new one is initiated?

"Why ll year round Christmas emojis" - Laziness.

"Coffee emoji" I'll see if there's something I can nick.

Postby Renee » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:39 pm

That is strange Pat, because I have just copied part of your post.

"It may just be me, but when I want to copy part of another poster's post, I can't just hi-light and copy the part I want"

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:43 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:It may just be me, but when I want to copy part of another poster's post, I can't just hi-light and copy the part I want ... I have to copy ALL of the post and then just delete the bits I don't want.

I also wonder why there is all the christmas emoji thingys down the side all year round :?:

I’m not sure if you mean simply copy or quote?

If it’s just copying, then that depends on the device you are using

But yes on WF if you highlighted part of a post and pressed Quote only the highlighted text appeared quoted in the reply box but that’s never worked here which is a little annoying because diy quoting doesn’t work on iOS as it insists on smart quote marks not straight so “quote” not "quote" if you can see the difference

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:45 pm

I think it was very kind of you to invite us here and that really it's up to us to adapt! It's pretty good as it is.

Interested in Pat's comment about copying, what she describes is what I've always done :?.
Update: Sue has explained. I had no idea you could do that on WF!

If thinking of anything, I liked the different sections for baking, veggies, TV programmes etc. but also the feature (as we have here) to see all the new posts since we last visited (I prefer the latter if we could only have one option). This is a different format so is probably best left alone!

Postby scullion » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:42 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:But yes on WF if you highlighted part of a post and pressed Quote only the highlighted text appeared quoted in the reply box but that’s never worked here

it works like that for me here (most of the time), too. the above quote was highlighted and quoted without deleting the rest of the post.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:49 pm

Maybe it's a browser/platform thing. My Mac/Firefox doesn't allow me to select, just quotes the whole post. I'll test Chrome/Safari and re-post here, althopugh again my browsers are very out of date, so I can't speak for more current versions :-(

Postby scullion » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:05 pm

i use a mac with safari and although the highlighted quote works most of the time, for me, there's the odd occasion that it doesn't.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:11 pm

SOLVED.

Awkward to explain, but...

When you use the quote button direct from the thread it opens a new post with the complete post quoted, even if you try and select text.

However

If you click the "Post a Reply" button to a topic it allows you to select and quote from the posts, which appear under the posting text box page that comes up.

Postby scullion » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:42 pm

aah, not random then!

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:50 pm

Sakkarin wrote:If you click the "Post a Reply" button to a topic it allows you to select and quote from the posts, which appear under the posting text box page that comes up.

Yes, that works in both Windows 10 + Chrome and iOS on iPad :wino

Postby jeral » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:18 pm

As Sakkarin said, although I'd explain it differently:
If you use the Quote button to open a Reply box, you get the whole post ignoring any highlighting, but if a Reply box is already open via Post a Reply then you can highlight a selection of a post and click Quote to get just that part. (Firefox)

Postby Renee » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:39 pm

I just highlight a section of a post and then Ctrl+C.

Postby slimpersoninside » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:55 pm

Would it be possible to have an area (like the Announcements and Topics areas that there are at the moment) for non-food related threads, such as the "full stop" one at present, so not all non-food discussions need to be part of Wildfood campsite or Chatterbox.

Thanks.

Postby Amyw » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:59 pm

I agree a non food related sub board would be good as things can get lost in chatterbox threads .

Maybe close both current chatterbox threads and start a new one for everyone as the whole WF camper one is a bit redundant now ?

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:04 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:
PatsyMFagan wrote:It may just be me, but when I want to copy part of another poster's post, I can't just hi-light and copy the part I want ... I have to copy ALL of the post and then just delete the bits I don't want.

I’m not sure if you mean simply copy or quote?

If it’s just copying, then that depends on the device you are using

But yes on WF if you highlighted part of a post and pressed Quote only the highlighted text appeared quoted in the reply box but that’s never worked here which is a little annoying because diy quoting doesn’t work on iOS as it insists on smart quote marks not straight so “quote” not "quote" if you can see the difference

:thumbsup that's what I mean Sue... I only post on my pc so can't change the quote "" marks ;)

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:20 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:that's what I mean Sue... I only post on my pc so can't change the quote "" marks

Sakkarin has already explained
Start your reply first
Then highlight the text you want to quote in its original post, and click on the Quote button over the highlighted text

You will get a quote with the correct attribution in your reply box

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:22 pm

I thought Sakkarin had, but then couldn't find how :? :oops:

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox