Register

1 space or 2 after a full stop?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: 1 space or 2 after a full stop?

Postby Renee » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:29 am

I also have no sense of direction Gruney. I often go the wrong way when leaving a shop, if it's an area that I don't know too well.

Postby cherrytree » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:11 am

Every time I leave the fishmongers in Cockermouth I go the wrong way. I always say that sat nav has saved our marriage. No more rows, no more anxiety, just a calm drive along listening to the lovely Kathy Clucston from Radio 4 gently telling us the route.

Postby dennispc » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:31 pm

We had our kitchen done about 30 years ago. Cupboards on one wall go right to the ceiling, back then we lost storage space on top, but now that’s a blessing as we don’t have to clean the dust. Replaced built in cooker ten years ago to a Neff double oven. For some reason we paid a lot of money (for us) to have shelf sliders. Such a good move now, particularly when we want to baste meats.

Bowled right arm, batted left, tennis and table tennis and tennis right hand, golf and hockey left - there not being left handed hockey sticks made life interesting!

Never much good at any sport at school, but my ability to cover every inch of a pitch made me useful at football and hockey later on. Good at catching small balls in right hand.

One guy at school was captain of football, cricket and top academic student. That’s when I first realised life is unfair, he was handsome too

Like my Dad and sister, can’t cut bread, wood or anything straight. In 1948 a lovely woodwork teacher, nearly had a heart attack when I missed cut a piece of 2x2 - wood was rationed then.

Finished a lot of DiY projects in my time, but not always with a great deal of success. Gave up trying to hang two/three pictures in a straight line many years ago. Anything goes wrong with the car, the garage becomes a friend.

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:23 am

Hahahaha, Dennis - just goes to prove that everyone is different!
Ben Stokes bowls right-handed, and bats left.
And I noticed today, watching a video of "how to fillet a halibut", that Gordon Ramsay is also left-handed!

Postby PatsyMFagan » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:35 am

dennispc wrote:Bowled right arm, batted left, tennis and table tennis and tennis right hand, golf and hockey left - there not being left handed hockey sticks made life interesting!

I am almost certain I had a left-handed hockey stick .. but of course that was more than 50 years ago, so my brain could be playing tricks :roll: ;)

Postby cherrytree » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:11 am

Ah, these former members of Cockermouth Cricket Club! I shall check with my two grandsons to see what they do.

Postby dennispc » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:57 pm

In my case over 60 years ago! Though maybe LH sticks were more expensive.

Came in useful when mouse clicking with right hand caused too much pain. Have used left hand ever since.

Postby aero280 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:10 pm

You can't play hockey left handed!! :o Well not with the stick the right way around.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:12 pm

dennispc wrote:In my case over 60 years ago! Though maybe LH sticks were more expensive.

Came in useful when mouse clicking with right hand caused too much pain. Have used left hand ever since.

It seemed to come naturally to use my right hand to use the mouse ... then I could write with my left hand .. so much more convenient ;) :thumbsup

Postby PatsyMFagan » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:14 pm

aero280 wrote:You can't play hockey left handed!! :o Well not with the stick the right way around.

I stand corrected then ... I know I couldn't bully off, but I could have still done everything else :? :?

Postby PatsyMFagan » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:14 pm

aero280 wrote:You can't play hockey left handed!! :o Well not with the stick the right way around.

I stand corrected then ... I know I couldn't bully off, but I could have still done everything else :? :?

There seem to be plenty of them online, but I know mine had the older kind of head, not the squat one - it was much cheaper ;) :roll:
Last edited by PatsyMFagan on Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Lusciouslush » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:15 pm

aero280 wrote:You can't play hockey left handed!!

Totally agree there - have never seen a LH'd stick :? it all brings back a lot of shin pain just talking about hockey!

Postby scullion » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:45 pm

i have only played hockey (indoor) twice and both times i had the whistle blown at me when i hit the ball - for hitting it with the wrong side of the stick - what sort of a game has the excuse of a wrong side of a stick‽‽‽
i wouldn't know if it was a left or right handed stick (but it sounds like i may have been playing left handed)- i inherited it from a flatmate and used it for fishing stuff out from under the bed.
at least you can pick out of reach apples with a lacrosse stick without bruising them, much more useful!
- and they rarely blow the whistle at you during a game.

Postby Lusciouslush » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:07 pm

Ha Ha!

I never really enjoyed hockey but were made to play, it was on the curriculum, we had a sadistic PE teacher who enjoyed dishing out humiliation plus seeing our frozen knees after walking to the playing field in short skirt & bare legs in winter. A lot of angst was taken out in that game.

Now netball was another matter - I was head & shoulders above everyone & could use it :thumbsup no left or right hand requirements needed!

Postby Suffs » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:46 pm

Lusciouslush wrote:Ha Ha!

I never really enjoyed hockey but were made to play, it was on the curriculum, we had a sadistic PE teacher who enjoyed dishing out humiliation plus seeing our frozen knees after walking to the playing field in short skirt & bare legs in winter. A lot of angst was taken out in that game.

Now netball was another matter - I was head & shoulders above everyone & could use it :thumbsup no left or right hand requirements needed!

Were you at my school Lush? I could’ve written that ... every word :roll:

Postby dennispc » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:28 am

What skill I must've had! :lol: Sticks then were not the short stubby ones, but had a decent length on the foot. Simples. ;)

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:32 am

dennispc wrote:

What skill I must've had! :lol: Sticks then were not the short stubby ones, but had a decent length on the foot. Simples. ;)

Another reminder of being old. Squash racquets aren't the same shape either. I may have to donate mine to a museum.

Postby Suffs » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:41 am

My niece couldn't believe the weight of my 'lightweight' wooden tennis racket :lol:

Postby scullion » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:47 am

we had two tennis rackets when i was 'at home' one must have been from the fifties - a slazenger, which was the one i sunbathed with during summer games lessons.
the other, looking back, and with it's own press, must have been from the twenties/thirties - wood unadorned with paint etc - a real museum piece. they both went, with mountains of other stuff, to the dump during the clear out.

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:22 pm

I wonder if I'd be any better at tennis if I tried again with a modern racket?

That's interesting. I wrote racquet and the spellcheck said I should change it to racket. Looking at what others have written for guidance I see both spellings have been used.

A site called Grammarist says: "Racket is the usual spelling of the word for the paddle-like device used in net games such as tennis. Racquet is an alternative form—it was originally a misspelling of the French word, and has appeared to varying degrees since entering English in the 19th century—now mainly confined to certain contexts, appearing especially in names (e.g., West River Health & Racquet Club) and in reference to the sports of squash and racquetball. In tennis, racket is the preferred spelling. This is the case throughout the English-speaking world, but the preference for racket is strongest in North America."

I had no idea.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox