Register

1 space or 2 after a full stop?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: 1 space or 2 after a full stop?

Postby Renee » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:58 pm

Please note, television presenters, there is only one "r" in drawing and not
two. :evil:

The "l" in almond is a silent "l".

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:07 pm

And stop calling Priti Patel the Home Sekketry.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:15 pm

scullion wrote:
PatsyMFagan wrote:I thought that was a typo, or malfunction on Scully's device :roll: :? :oops: ;) :lol:

hahahahaha!
- you can find it in your symbols list.

Symbols list :?: :? wherever would I find that :oops:

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:15 pm

Renee wrote:The "l" in almond is a silent "l".

That’s come up before, very divisive!

I have always pronounced the L and justify this as it comes from Arabic where the L is definitely sounded

Oxford online dictionary gives both as equally acceptable alternatives. Phew!

Earthmaiden wrote:One of the words I have tried to change in order to 'fit in' with those around me is suit. My father always wore a s-you-t, not a 's-oo-t' but few people seem to say it that way these days.

I don’t remember hearing many people say s you t even when we were children, may be regional perhaps

Postby scullion » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:51 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:Symbols list :?: :? wherever would I find that :oops:

well, on my mac it's - ctrl, cmd plus space bar, double click on the one you want from the box and it automatically inserts it into your bit of writing.
but it's not that straightforward with a windows computer
- and it seems to be different for windows 7 and windows 10.
your best bet is to have a 'goggle' and see if you can find it for yourself - unless someone else knows an easy way to access all the interesting stuff in windows.
(my partner uses a method of copy and paste from the 'word' symbols list - i suppose you could always make yourself a word document with all of the symbols you think you may need, collected from elsewhere, and copy and paste from there - or copy and paste straight from the word list, like he does).

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:33 pm

Bring back Michael Aspirin and Angela Rippin, I say.
:gonzo :gonzo

Postby scullion » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:57 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:Bring back [..] Angela Rippin, I say.

at least she taught us the difference between the spellings of gorilla and guerrilla just with her pronunciation!

Postby Pampy » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:43 am

Definitely aLmond for me.
How about garidge/garaage/garage?

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:25 am

Oh Pampy, my mother's favourite! Always garage. Never, ever garidge!

Postby Rainbow » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:44 am

scullion wrote:well, on my mac it's - ctrl, cmd plus space bar, double click on the one you want from the box and it automatically inserts it into your bit of writing.

Thanks for that reminder, Scullion :) And I managed to quote just the bit of your message that I wanted, instead of having to delete the rest of it!!

All these problems people have with Windows makes me really glad I've got a Mac :D

Postby Badger's Mate » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:14 am

'Haitch' winds me up, particularly if somebody describes themselves as 'a haitch arr consultant or haitch arr manager'. I always think they can't be much good as they can't even pronounce the job title properly. :D

My attitude is ridiculous though, for I have been dropping my aitches for the better part of sixty years. It makes 'an hotel' second nature to me, but unfortunately also an 'orse... :D

Postby PatsyMFagan » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:02 am

Badger's Mate wrote:'Haitch' winds me up, particularly if somebody describes themselves as 'a haitch arr consultant or haitch arr manager'. I always think they can't be much good as they can't even pronounce the job title properly. :D

My attitude is ridiculous though, for I have been dropping my aitches for the better part of sixty years. It makes 'an hotel' second nature to me, but unfortunately also an 'orse... :D

and 'erbs :?: ;)

Postby Badger's Mate » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:36 am

and 'erbs

Of course, but just as hypocritically I mock American usage of the same. I was very well spoken before I went to school, lost it all, went on to Grammar school and University but worked where I grew up and now there is a conflict. If I'm thinking about what I'm saying or speaking in public I pronounce things conventionally but lapses of concentration or moments of high dudgeon lead to dropped aitches, glottal stops and local vernacular. :D

Postby PatsyMFagan » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:05 am

Not forgetting the American pronounciation of Fillet Steak as Fillay .... :roll:

I had an English friend who's best friend was from the US .. my friend started pronouncing the above steak as the Americans do and also insisted on having (Maple ?) syrup with bacon :roll: :lol:

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:31 am

But the Americans actually spell it filet like the French do so although it can grate they are at least consistent

The other food one is turmeric, which I pronounce exactly as it is spelled, to me it is obvious that as there are no silent Rs in English the first syllable can only be said the same way as in turkey and the dictionary agrees - tuR.
So what is this tew-meric of which tv chefs speak? :?

Postby aero280 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:43 am

It took me a while to get. The East London style of dropping all aitches at the front of words, but adding an aitch to the front of words that start with a vowel.

Postby Badger's Mate » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:10 pm

Turmeric causes me to tut too. No idea where Tew-meric came from, but it reminds me of the fashion a few years ago for football commentators to pronounce the Italian city and its football teams as Mee-lan. In English it's Milan and Italian Milano, goodness knows what that was all about.

Postby scullion » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:15 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:I have always pronounced the L and justify this as it comes from Arabic where the L is definitely sounded

not according to the fount of all knowledge that is wikipedia!

i'm an 'l dropper' from both almond and salmon - my partner pronounces both with an l. he says scon i say scone.
i vary on garage (though very rarely garidge) - depends which way the wind blows - but i do call him nigel 'faridge' out of respect for his views...

i was very confused by the next door neighbour we had in florida, some years back, who called them fla mignons, rather than filet mignons (she was from detroit). they were either a thing that i'd never heard of or that she had confused the pronunciation of filet with the shortening of 'florida' (or maybe there really were florida mignons!).
definitely not tewmeric here, nor nucular and definitely not pinowcchio (how dare disney do that to the world!).

do snakes have prostrate glands‽

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:25 pm

scullion wrote:Stokey Sue wrote:
I have always pronounced the L and justify this as it comes from Arabic where the L is definitely sounded

not according to the fount of all knowledge that is wikipedia!

I did look it up in the big dictionary once but that was my work subscription so I no longer have access

French or Arab, the online Oxford dictionary gives both pronunciations equal weight

Salmon is an odd one - I don’t articulate the L but it definitely affects the sound of the word

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:49 pm

Silent l in both almond and salmon for me. No reason except that's how I was brought up.

In the past 20 years or so I have noticed the word orientated being used a lot. Before then I had only heard oriented. Both appear to be correct, the former more American. It really grates every time I hear it though.

I do think there is still quite a lot of snobbery attached to this sort of thing, there are a good few words I've no idea how to pronounce correctly. When my parents were doing final library exams, they were each given the name of a character from Greek mythology and had to speak about the character there and then. A friend got 'Psyche'. She looked horrified and started off by apologising because she'd never had to say the name out loud, had never got round to looking up the pronunciation and had always called her 'Pish'. I sometimes know how she felt!

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox