Register

1 space or 2 after a full stop?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: 1 space or 2 after a full stop?

Postby aero280 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:20 am

I’d give my right arm to be ambidextrous...

(Well, it had to be said at some point! :D )

Postby scullion » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:14 pm

there's cack-handed as well...

Postby Suffs » Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:30 pm

I've just remembered that I always cradled my babies with my right arm ..... apparently most women hold their babies on their left side ... one midwife said I was unnatural and that I should carry my baby on my left side so they could hear my heartbeat :? My reasoning was that I automatically held my baby with my dominant hand/arm as that felt safest. It didn't half cause problems when handing baby over to someone else to hold as they always had to turn them around ... which always woke them up :roll:

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:32 pm

scullion wrote:there's cack-handed as well...

:lol: very interesting origin.

I had to really think about the baby holding but think I would naturally go with the head to the left, I had no idea there was a right or wrong way though!

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:50 pm

As a non-mother I tend to hold a baby on my left so that my right hand is free to do something useful such as administering a bottle

Postby jeral » Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:46 pm

I'd assume baby's head nearest mum's heartbeat was instinctively logical, which might be gobbledygook as having one's useful hand free makes far more sense logistically.

My left-handed partner reckoned it was a feature of lefthandedness that they were more spatially aware and certainly he could work out which 3D image matched if a shape was turned upside down a darn sight quicker than I could. I just reckon he was good for driving screws into corners that are impossible for right-handers unless above facing downwards onto them (or standing on head).

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:49 am

Restauranteur when the word is restaurateur.

Muddling up interment and internment.

Postby Suffs » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:57 am

Pepper Pig wrote:
Muddling up interment and internment.

One can often lead to the other ...

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:00 am

Well there is that! :lol:

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:27 am

:lol: :lol:

Zebra or Zeebra?

Postby Badger's Mate » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:43 am

Zebra - is the other one a garment for a very large American?

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:04 am

:lol: :lol:

Postby cherrytree » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:38 pm

When I was teaching infants it was as always important to seat the left handed children carefully so that when they were writing they didn’t bump into a right handed neighbour. It was always important to have left handed scissors in the classroom as well.
I don’t know if this has been mentioned but it is widely believed that King George VI’s stammer was caused by him being made to write with his right hand by his sadistic early governess.

Postby dennispc » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:16 pm

OH is left handed, nobody tried to change her at school and that was a long time ago!

I bowled right hand, batted left, but wouldn't call myself ambidextrous.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:37 am

My Mum was left handed (as am I), but made to write with her right hand at school. The headmistress noted that she was a good at needle-work, so she was taken out of lessons, to sit in the HM's study to sew for her. Mum ended up being ambidextrous and could write with both hands at once, in reverse with her left hand. I too find mirror writing easy.

I have left-handed scissors, but found them difficult to use for dressmaking as the blades were the other way round from ordinary ones.

I would have welcomed a left-handed cheque book (remember them? ;) )

I knit right handed as that was the way I was taught, but crochet left handed, which makes little difference. Only to follow instructions for the left side would turn out the right side.

I also tick backwards (from right to left).

My ex was right handed in everything apart from throwing darts :roll:

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:55 am

PatsyMFagan wrote:My ex was right handed in everything apart from throwing darts

That’s interesting, I’ve never come across anyone else but me who did that
I think it’s probably something very specific to do with hand eye coordination

I always had very bad “ball sense” - bad at tennis though I enjoyed it, rubbish at badminton which was ok as I hated it but decent squash player, think that is in some way related to the coordination. I also played volleyball for a while.

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:12 am

My hand-eye coordination is terrible. I have always been useless at any game where you have to hit a ball in the air (for some reason I can do games like rounders where it is lower, with no problem). I once played an entire game of squash without hitting the ball once. My eyesight, when younger, was fine and I can do electronic games where you have to spot things quickly so it's really wierd.

I am also one of those people who has to work out right and left each time they are mentioned. I wonder if its connected in some way.

Postby cherrytree » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:28 am

I’m dyspraxic so I can’t do any of these things. I can’t even cut paper straight. What trouble I got into at school.

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:16 pm

Despite having a "lazy" eye, I was pretty good at ball games. Tennis, squash, rugby, football, skipper of the university cricket team for 2 years.
When I was 50 I played golf for the first time. The coach was surprised at the coordination - he said I had a great swing. (what he didn´t see were the huge chunks of turf I dug out of the fairways once I´d teed off :lol: :lol: )
And I am 100% left-handed, left-footed.
But there again, it is an extremely rare person who is good at everything. I can´t recall any of the "sportsmen" at school being good academics, nor vice-versa. I cannot, for the life of me, understand mathematics or mechanics or physics. Not the faintest clue.

Postby Gruney2 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:35 pm

I'm trying to think of the things I'm good at, and it's a real struggle :lol: But something I'm extremely bad at is having absolutely no sense of direction, it's really bad. When I was a boy, I was always amazed that my mother knew when to get off the bus - I thought it was a gift you were given when you got older. My wife, however, had an uncanny sense of direction - and it's fair to say it was an aspect of our marriage where I always did as I was told, without question.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox