Register

Restaurant reopenings and casualties

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Restaurant reopenings and casualties

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:15 pm

Very pleased that Darjeeling Express is going to survive. If you’ve never been look out for it!

https://london.eater.com/2020/6/25/2130 ... oho-closed

I have also heard from Jason Atherton today and it looks like his restaurants will be back in business soon. Good because I have Christmas vouchers.

Mark Hix has gone bust. :(

Re: Restaurant reopenings and casualties

Postby aero280 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:01 pm

I think that Mark Hix was struggling before the virus. His companies filed for administration at the beginning of April.

We had an e-mail to say that Zedel were reopening.

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:15 pm

I just read in the Evening Standard that comes through the door every day that the River Cafe has been running a shop during lockdown:
https://www.standard.co.uk/go/london/re ... 80061.html
https://shoptherivercafe.co.uk/

Curiously, the kitchen entrance is at the end of our road and the suppliers normally drive past constantly - initially we noticed how quiet it was and the complete absence of delivery vans and quite recently I happened to notice various suppliers' vans, like Brindisa. I wondered what was going on and if they were planninng to re-open. As I've been shielding I haven't been out along the river past the restaurant ... must definitely take a look soon!

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:49 pm

There will be a few casualties round here I think, but pleased that Darjeeling Express is hanging on, I think Asma was utterly determined to pull through

I heard that Sardine at Old Street is not reopening, which is said, I met Alex Jackson at the Literary Festival, and have the cook book which is great and was looking forward to going

Will jus thave ot see what's there in a few weeks I think

Intending to go to a local restaurant Perch that has been cooking for those needing them during lock down, and a few others, there's a gastro pub that was filly open for about a week too

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:54 am

Rick Stein has cut a couple of branches, one being the one in Marlborough which is very sad, it was popular for birthday treats etc.if you didn't want a gastropub.

Postby MagicMarmite » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:42 pm

I hope The Kitchin survives, its my favourite.

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:18 pm

I fear there will be a lot more casualties than survivors...

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:57 pm

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:17 pm

Sad to see an old haunt of mine all boarded up earlier on, I can't see it reopening, it's almost disappeared a couple of times in the past anyway :-(

Postby aero280 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:18 pm

Our local favourite has been open recently for a click and collect vegan food with a different chef.

We were notified today that it will be opening on Monday for morning coffee and afternoon tea only. Then opening the full restaurant during the following week.

https://stjamesbushey.co.uk

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:23 am

Given the considerable overheads and relatively low profit margins for UK restaurants & pubs, I imagine many places will close forever when the bloody virus disappears. Such a shame.
The last time I was in London (2018) I stayed with a friend who lives close to the Ottolenghi restaurant in Islington. I took a wander around the area on a Saturday afternoon, amazed at the variety of food available in Islington High st; when I still lived in London in the 70s, Islington was, well, nothing, food-wise. It will take us all a long time to recover from this plague. :crying1

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:59 am

When I lived in Islington at the end of the 70s there were a few curry houses, a couple of chippies (no good ones that I knew of), a pie and mash shop on the market, a few greasy spoons and the Roxy Diner (Posh burgers) on Upper Street about 100m south of where Ottolenghi is now. There were also a couple of old fashioned formal restaurants, Frederick’s and Carrier’s on Camden Passage and one I never went on the main drag

We mainly went to Fitzrovia to eat

Postby MagicMarmite » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:44 pm

I had an e-mail from The Kitchin today to tell me that they are opening on the 28th.
One of his other restaurants, Castle Terrace hasn't survived though which is a shame.

Postby patpoyntz » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:41 am

[quote="MagicMarmite"]I had an e-mail from The Kitchin today to tell me that they are opening on the 28th.
One of his other restaurants, Castle Terrace hasn't survived though which is a shame.[/quote

And, sadly he is not opening Southside Scran, though he is keeping the property and may reopen next year I hear. Also his Bonnie Badger is reopening soon. I must say, like you The Kitchen is our favourite, but if we can’t get booked in there, we like Scran and Scallie.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:31 am

Interesting Twitter announcement from Selin Kiazim of Oklava ( there’s more of it than this)

We will no longer be adding the customary optional 12.5% service charge onto our bills. Instead, it will be incorporated into our menu prices.
The optional service charge has always gone to our staff, in full.

Full thread

https://twitter.com/selinkiazim/status/ ... 38784?s=21

The reason given is that service charge/tronc is a precarious way of paying staff trying to make a career and furlough pay for hospitality and catering staff has been low because this element wasn’t taken into account

Be interested to see who joins

Postby Suffs » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:53 am

Earthmaiden wrote:Rick Stein has cut a couple of branches, one being the one in Marlborough which is very sad, it was popular for birthday treats etc.if you didn't want a gastropub.

But this looks hopeful https://www.bighospitality.co.uk/Articl ... n-Cornwall

8-)

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:25 am

Two encouraging pieces of news for our new world there!

I hadn't thought about tips not being included in furlough. We've probably got a long way to go before many restaurants add more to the bill AND pass it on in staff pay but it would be nice to support those who can be trusted to do so.

Good news re the Cornish restaurant. Not Marlborough though :cry:. Guess it's too early yet to know if the new rules will turn out to be be financially viable for restaurants and pubs.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:00 pm

Marco Pierre White is opening a new Steakhouse at the Stone House hotel outside Salisbury - his policy seems to be to open them in hotels that cater for conferences and events but the restaurant is open for bookings to non-residents

I stayed in a hotel in Warwickshire that had one, it was OK, best prawn cocktail I’ve ever eaten including my own home made and seemed popular with locals

Postby Grasshopper » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:14 pm

Sis & I had a GREAT day out in Halifax on Saturday (despite the weather and the strange times). Not only were a few more shops open (including some in the Piece Hall!), more cafes were, too, including 2 of our favourites! :woohoo:

One of them charges LESS for a FULL MEAL. including a drink, than Costa do for a cuppa and a bacon butty!
Also, when we got back to town, we discovered that another favourite cafe had re-opened!
And that's not all! All three were happy to take cash!

:D
Grasshopper

Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw.
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox