Register

Beefburgers

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Beefburgers

Postby Suffs » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:57 am

Badger's Mate wrote:
We’ll split them between the two of us Patsy :newhuggy

Not so fast, you two!

:thumbsup :lol:

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:29 pm

Good heavens, Suffs,Patsy & Badgers Mate - The Eel Brigade!! :gonzo

Postby PatsyMFagan » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:46 pm

Definitely :yum :yum :yum

Good aftermorning everyone. :wave

I've had a busy morning - up at 5 to take daughter to Uxbridge, went back to bed and tried to sleep, but couldn't settle, so got up again and started off bread in the machine; pottered about (not doing anything productive :roll: ) until bread was ready to bake. This was just finished in time for 10 am Fitsteps class, then I decided to make Apple tray bake and in the process managed to trap my thumb in the hand mixer (don't ask ) :roll: :oops: :shock: - ouch ! Just made my first cuppa of the day as the milk in the fridge had gone off and I needed to thaw out the spare one I keep in the freezer :roll: I'm going to have a lie down now :thumbsup

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:13 pm

Thought I´d revive this thread for a moment because last night, I was watching a TV show and the "burger" was, perhaps, a little overworked for me.
A toasted bun with aioli. A burger stuffed with Mozzarella cheese, then a whole portobello mushroom on top, painted with pesto, then a handful of rocket. Chips tossed with rosemary and salt. Hmmm.
It made me think of my professor at uni who, when we got long-winded, used to say " Call a spade a spade; not a long-handled implement with a curved metal plate for removing dirt" :gonzo In other words, don´t over-elaborate.
I´ve eaten "Swiss" burgers with a slice of Gruyere and some sautéed mushrooms - yep, that´s ok, but I think I actually yearn for the original Hard Rock burger, in Piccadilly, 1970s...grilled, on a bun, onions, slice of cheese, pickles, ketchup, mustard.
So any takers for the "elaborate" burger?

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:39 pm

Call me a heathen but I wouldn't mind the aioli, mushroom, rocket or chips. Not the cheese though ... and although you didn't mention it, NOT a brioche bun.

Postby Seatallan » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:02 pm

Sounds like the burger equivalent of Per Una (the in-house M&S label). Take a perfectly good garment and ruin it by sticking a load of miscellaneous frills/bows/unnecessary details on it.
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby northleedsbhoy » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:08 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:Call me a heathen but I wouldn't mind the aioli, mushroom, rocket or chips. Not the cheese though ... and although you didn't mention it, NOT a brioche bun.

I prefer a brioche bun. There’s not an independent baker’s near me so I rely on Sainsbury’s for burger buns and hot dog rolls. I’ve tried virtually every make and can’t say I like any of them so I stick to brioche as the production is the same for all.

That burger doesn’t appeal to me KK, too many competing tastes at once.

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Postby Busybee » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:49 pm

Seatallan wrote:Sounds like the burger equivalent of Per Una (the in-house M&S label). Take a perfectly good garment and ruin it by sticking a load of miscellaneous frills/bows/unnecessary details on it.

:lol: :lol: I now know why I don’t like Per Una stuff, never been able to work it out but your absolutely right Sea.

BB

Postby Seatallan » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:06 pm

Busybee wrote:
Seatallan wrote:Sounds like the burger equivalent of Per Una (the in-house M&S label). Take a perfectly good garment and ruin it by sticking a load of miscellaneous frills/bows/unnecessary details on it.

:lol: :lol: I now know why I don’t like Per Una stuff, never been able to work it out but your absolutely right Sea.

BB

:D :D :D
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:02 pm

Busybee wrote:

BB

Jenny Eclair used to do a whole routine about Per Una and the frills and appliqués, it was very funny because so totally accurate

Postby ZeroCook » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:10 pm

One taker for elaborateburger here. Don't do it often but when I do it's all-in and all made from scratch (well almost) :D

Big bun, split, toasted briefly in pan crust side only keeping inside soft and pillowy, mayo, homemade mustard, best lean beef patty 150g/5oz with cheese, melted - cheddar or blue - paper thin sweet onion slices, roasted green pepper or new mex chile strips, avocado slices, tomato slices, thin dill pickle slices, thousand island dressing, bun top.
Tall ice drink with.

It's not frills. It's montage.

Postby Amyw » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:35 pm

I’d eat the burger fine without the mushroom and pesto on top . Just seems unnecessary to me . I don’t like when pubs serve a veggie burger which is just a large mushroom in a roll .. nothing burger like about it . The aioli, mozzarella and chips sound gorgeous though .

I’m not keen on brioche . I don’t like the sweetness of it with the burger and find it a little too soft and rich

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:19 pm

ZeroCook wrote:Big bun, split, toasted briefly in pan crust side only keeping inside soft and pillowy,

Intrigues - I'm used to buns toasted on the cut side, leaving the crust alone, is doing them the other way round normal where you are?

Postby Lokelani » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:28 pm

We always used to make our own burgers, now Ocado sell one brand of really good one, so I don't bother. They're only a rare treat anyway.

They're from The Juicy Meat Co. & called Rump Burgers. They are just 99% British beef, sea salt & black pepper. The main way they differ from any other is that they just don't shrink to nothing when grilled. Could be that they are less fatty than some, which maybe why we like them. They are still really flavoursome though.

I don't mind brioche bun, but Mr L prefers more traditional less sweet ones. I do quite like ciabatta bread rolls as they don't fall apart. Lettuce, red onion, mayo or cheese for me. Tomato/chilli relish of some kind for him.

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:21 pm

NLB:
That burger doesn’t appeal to me KK, too many competing tastes at once.
That´s exactly what I thought. Just a little bit too much. I´d eat it, but the idea of pesto, mushrooms AND aioli all together with beef patty gives me the impression it was over-elaborated.

ZC:
It's not frills. It's montage.

Haha, ZC - love it! Invite me for the next one!! Thing is, all your ingredients seem to fit flavour-wise. The one I saw last night sort of clashed.

Postby ZeroCook » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:13 am

You're very invited KDKA!

Stokey Sue wrote:
ZeroCook wrote:Big bun, split, toasted briefly in pan crust side only keeping inside soft and pillowy,

Intrigues - I'm used to buns toasted on the cut side, leaving the crust alone, is doing them the other way round normal where you are?

No, Stokey, just my way. :D The Hamburger/beefburger is a sandwich. A main course sandwich but a sandwich all the same. That's how I construct mine when I go the whole hog and max out. My recipe for the patty/meat part is minimalistic. 120 to 150g ground/minced lean beef per burger, no added fat at all, formed into a flat round, no salt, no seasonings in the meat, 10 mm thick, seasoned on the outside only with S&P, into the pan or onto the grill, cook on high, flip, and cook for same amount of time, flip again briefly to finish, with a slice of cheese if wanted.

Edited : cut pp - to move elsewhere.

Last edited by ZeroCook on Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby scullion » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:11 am

i get heartsink when i see burgers in brioche buns.
far too sweet and they've descended into a soggy, fall-apart mush by the time you're half way through the burger.

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:26 am

My feelings too, scully but it's become so popular it must be just a question of personal taste. My favourite kind of roll for a burger is a very crusty roll, lightly toasted on the inside, as Sue described. That is equally 'wrong' but delicious IMO (lightly buttered is even better :oops:).

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:26 pm

The brioche buns are not necessarily sweet - in fact I’ve encountered very few that are - they are brioche because of the way the dough is enriched with butter or other fat, not because they are necessarily sugared

I don’t understand putting a burger in a crusty roll Earthmaiden, for me that really would be all wrong, the roll needs to be bitten through with the patty

Postby scullion » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:22 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:The brioche buns are not necessarily sweet - in fact I’ve encountered very few that are - they are brioche because of the way the dough is enriched with butter or other fat, not because they are necessarily sugared

but if we both find them too sweet - then they are too sweet for us.
they may just be an enriched dough but maybe the way we taste that is different. who knows‽

i would rather have them in a crusty roll than in a brioche one.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox