Register

Beefburgers

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Beefburgers

Postby Hickybank » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:19 am

I have an avid distaste for Beefburgers, I cannot remember the last time I had one, whenever it was it was many,many years ago, but then I do eat Sausages, seems strange.
I just think Beefburger "McDonald"s & want to throw up.
Their pictures of burgers especially the ones with Cheese dripping out of them. :vomit :vomit :vomit.

So my question is.
There has to be a recipe for a good healthy burger using the best ingredients, but what is it.

Does anyone have a recipe that hand on heart you can say. "This is delicious" if you have I might just try it.

Thanks
Terry

Re: Beefburgers

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:41 am

First to me “beefburger” means the thin frozen things that are reminiscent of school dinner, but a decent burger is a different thing altogether

Second the optimum weight is between 4 and 6 ounces so you can make them thick enough to cook them well

Third, you don’t need a recipe. A burger contains beef including a fair amount of fat, salt and pepper. In my (admittedly extreme, and quite possibly unreasonable) view, anyone who adds binders such as egg or crumbs has no idea how to make a burger and should be stopped. A burger is made of meat. Onions are served with a burger, they aren’t an ingredient.

Fourth, cook it on a frying pan or better a grill pan or griddle or over charcoal and quite fast so it doesn’t dry out Top with a slice of cheese if you like

Serve in a good bun with any accompaniment you like - onions, lettuce, pickle slices or relishes, ketchup, mayo, tomato

And to be honest if, you are sticking with my second and third, you might as well buy premium burgers from a butcher or a supermarket, I favour Morrison’s 6oz which include bone marrow to keep them moist, butchers tend to flatten them out until they are too thin to cook

Postby Seatallan » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:50 am

I'm with Sue. Decent minced beef, salt and pepper are all you need (though I do sometimes add a bit of wholegrain mustard to mine). I love a decent burger I must say, although just occasionally I have an urge for a Mc Burger.... :D
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:54 am

Mustard is seasoning so :thumbsup :lol:

Postby Suelle » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:56 am

And you don't have to eat a burger in a bun. Serve it with chips and call it steak haché, as the French do. :lol:
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Suffs » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:47 pm

I agree ... best quality beef minced with a good proportion of fat, with seasoning of salt and freshly ground black pepper ... combine and shape Into thick patties using nothing more than wet hands. Cook as Sue has instructed ... sometimes we have them in a homemade brioche bun with onions ... sometimes just with chips and a dressed green salad or coleslaw ... delicious every way :yum

Postby Amyw » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:07 pm

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4556&hilit=Burgers

Here’s an existing thread about burgers . I think if the thought of something makes you feel ill then life’s too short to try and convince yourself to eat it .

Postby Suelle » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:17 pm

Amyw wrote:http://sakkarin.co.uk/foodforum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4556&hilit=Burgers

Here’s an existing thread about burgers . I think if the thought of something makes you feel ill then life’s too short to try and convince yourself to eat it .

I think you're probably right, Amy.

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:19 pm

But I get why people don’t want to be beaten!

I can’t face jellied eels but maybe one day? After all I do like smoked eels.

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:43 pm

Pleased to see that my perfect burger is exactly as I described on the other thread! As a child, I loved the Birds Eye frozen beefburgers we had then.

I bought some in M&S the other day as they were rtc and I thought they'd be edible.They were very uninteresting.

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:51 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:Pleased to see that my perfect burger is exactly as I described on the other thread! As a child, I loved the Birds Eye frozen beefburgers we had then.

I bought some in M&S the other day as they were rtc and I thought they'd be edible.They were very uninteresting.

Yes, the M & S ones are, I agree. We were very disappointed once when we gave them a try.

I think we quite enjoy the Waitrose venison burgers, which we've bought in the past when they've been in the 3 for £10 meat offer.

OH makes our own burgers exactly as described by the others - nothing but a bit of s & p.

Postby Suelle » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:53 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:

There's really no comparison - they could be two different fish! I love smoked eels but wouldn't care to tackle a jellied eel (unless someone else washed all the jelly off).

Yet I love pork brawn, which is set in jelly.

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:58 pm

It's not the jelly, it's the endless skin and bone! The meat is quite nice if you can find it in the midst of everything else.

Postby Suffs » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:00 pm

I’m happy to eat other people’s unwanted share of jellied eels :yum

Postby Hickybank » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:12 pm

I used to catch Eels once & my dad used to cook them I remember they were delicious.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:12 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:But I get why people don’t want to be beaten!

I'll always come and hold your hand PP .... I just need an excuse ;) :yum However, I would prefer them freshly stewed with liqueur .... :thumbsup

Postby PatsyMFagan » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:14 pm

Suffs wrote:I’m happy to eat other people’s unwanted share of jellied eels :yum

I will have to get in the queue then :roll: ;) :yum

Postby Suffs » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:44 pm

We’ll split them between the two of us Patsy :newhuggy

Postby Badger's Mate » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:42 pm

We’ll split them between the two of us Patsy :newhuggy

Not so fast, you two!

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:40 am

Hicky:
There´s nothing "wrong" in principle, with a beefburger/hamburger. All it is is a minced (meat) patty, either fried, or grilled.
I´ve got a (cyber) mate in the USA who is an expert in meat. Any meat. He cooks venison, goat, elk, deer, bison - you name it.I actually wonder whether he eats anything else, but still. :lol: :lol: His recipe for "Beefburgers" is : Meat. Salt. Pepper. Grill rare/medium/welldone.
I´ve tried it a million times. It´s perfect. Add anything you want to the final product.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox