Register

Favourite currys

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Favourite currys

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:18 pm

I am beginning to feel a bit frustrated here

For the third time, I repeat, the volume of marinade is not the problem if -if - it is used in cooking the curry

But as the only person who has in fact cooked the recipe, which is written as 11 numbered steps, I assure you none of those steps include an instruction to add the marinade to the pot and cook it, why do you all think it does?

The instructions are

5. Add marinated meat and whole chillies. Stir fry until meat is browned
Obviously, if you add nearly a pint of yogurt here the meat will never brown, in fact it barely browned when quite well drained

6. Add 2-3 cups water and cook on medium heat, until meat is tender. You can cook it in a slow cooker at this stage. Oil floats to the top when meat is ready.
So you add a lot of water and not the yogurt? If you add both I can assure you that the gravy will be very thin, I did in fact add all the yogurt and only a little water and it looked much like the photo

Why am I the only person who sees a difficulty here?

Forgot my other favourite lamb curry Rez’s Mahammad’s Lamb in Black Pepper Sauce, in which whole peppercorns are cooked long and slow until they turn back into berries. Yum Exquisite

Postby Hickybank » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:33 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:I am beginning to feel a bit frustrated here

For the third time, I repeat, the volume of marinade is not the problem if -if - it is used in cooking the curry

But as the only person who has in fact cooked the recipe, which is written as 11 numbered steps, I assure you none of those steps include an instruction to add the marinade to the pot and cook it, why do you all think it does?

The instructions are

Obviously, if you add nearly a pint of yogurt here the meat will never brown, in fact it barely browned when quite well drained

6. Add 2-3 cups water and cook on medium heat, until meat is tender. You can cook it in a slow cooker at this stage. Oil floats to the top when meat is ready.
So you add a lot of water and not the yogurt? If you add both I can assure you that the gravy will be very thin, I did in fact add all the yogurt and only a little water and it looked much like the photo

Forgot my other favourite lamb curry Rez’s Mahammad’s Lamb in Black Pepper Sauce, in which whole peppercorns are cooked long and slow until they turn back into berries. Yum Exquisite

I can see where you are coming from & I am not doubting you, but if I make it, the first time I will bung it all in & see what I get, in the meantime I have posted a query on the message board for the site , I will come back with any reply's

Postby ZeroCook » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:38 pm

Aha, Stokey. I do see what you mean.

I read "... Add marinated meat and whole chillies ... Stir fry until meat is browned." to mean adding meat plus marinade to the pan of ghee and fried spices and turning up heat to high to fry. After which, water is added. I would use a large pot or pan with ample bottom surface area so that everything can sizzle evenly.

Thanks for that Spangle. Must try. Exciting! :D

Postby Badger's Mate » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:47 pm

Fenugreek question - is it simply grown from the whole seeds bought as a spice ingredient?

I've previously used 'green manure' fenugreek seeds but coincidentally, this morning sowed some from my kitchen stock. I intend to try some of the other whole spices too - coriander will probably be next, then maybe caraway - I already grow my own fennel seeds.

Postby ZeroCook » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:56 pm

BM I was eyeing up a bag of coriander seed in my cupboard the other day with that exact thought! Good idea, fennel. Guessing still ok to sow in June? Seem to recall that it's a biennial.

Mamta just answered - but only with regard to yogurt quantity as being good, but no cooking order info.

Postby Badger's Mate » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:53 am

I think fennel is perennial, there are several plants in our front garden that seem to have been there a while, but are also setting seed all over the shop. you'll be fine sowing now, you only need a few plants to survive, eat the rest.

The major issue with sowing spices is how fresh they are. We've been using up old seed packets this year with rather patchy results. I've got some coriander seed I bought RTC from a garden centre a couple of years ago that hasn't been much good.

Postby Hickybank » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:58 am

Hickybank wrote:
Stokey Sue wrote:I am beginning to feel a bit frustrated here

The instructions are

I can see where you are coming from & I am not doubting you, but if I make it, the first time I will bung it all in & see what I get, in the meantime I have posted a query on the message board for the site , I will come back with any reply's

I contacted Mamta & here is her reply to the question, I have also invited her to join us on here as I think she would be a great asset.
Here is her reply.
Mamta
19/6/2020 10:44pm
Hello Terry

Long time no see!

I assume you are looking at lamb curry do pyaza-2? Two cups of yoghurt is not too much, because you are not adding any tomatoes here. It will give the curry the right taste and creaminess.Hello to Your lovely wife. Keep well.

Mamta

Postby Seatallan » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:27 am

Oh I do hope she comes to join us. Thank you for contacting her. :thumbsup

Talking of Mamta, whatever has happened to Kavey? Haven't seen hide nor hair of her since she and her husband moved (was it to Wales?)
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:31 am

Kavey pops up on FB a lot - her blog 'Kavey Eats' is still going strong too. They look very well settled and happy with the move to Wales.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:38 am

Thank you Hicky

It does sound as if you are expected to add the yogurt, as is usual with an Indian curry, and which I did although there are no instructions to do so

As I said in the first place - 500 ml of yogurt is far too much if you just Use it as a marinade and don’t add it. It’s also far too much to add with the meat if you want to follow the instructions to brown the meat - you can’t brown a pound of meat in a pan with a pint of milk which is what you’d be doing. So it’s best to create step 5a and add it before the water, which you can the judge the amount of.

Postby Seatallan » Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:05 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:Kavey pops up on FB a lot - her blog 'Kavey Eats' is still going strong too. They look very well settled and happy with the move to Wales.

That's good to hear EM. Thank you! :D
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Amyw » Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:14 pm

Kavey posts a lot on Instagram too for anyone that uses it under kaveyeats

Postby Hickybank » Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:27 pm

When they moved to Wales the Brecon region from what I remember, they started an AIR B&B I did have details but seem to have lost them so don''t know if it is still going.

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:31 pm

KDKA - did not know your uncle was from India - any connection to your love of and repetoire of Indian cuisine?

One from India and another from Pakistan - although I haven´t seen the latter in yonks.
Probably no connection in particular, ZC; I ´ve just always loved curries!

Re. Fenugreek - yep, go ahead and sow some that you´ve bought from the Indian Grocery. It germinates super fast and you can be harvesting in two or three weeks.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:43 pm

Hickybank wrote:When they moved to Wales the Brecon region from what I remember, they started an AIR B&B I did have details but seem to have lost them so don''t know if it is still going.

Probably not at the moment!!!

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:08 pm

splutter! @ EM.

My favourite is chicken tikka masala! I know I know, it's a bit oiky of me. (I like it phall hot)
It just hits the spot, so does madras.

Prawn Poori too.

I enjoy making dosa. All of these I make at home.

& re the yoghurt debate,
I do particularly like yoghurty marinade dishes, that are done with lamb. I should give the recipe a go!

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:15 pm

I do prefer mutton rather than lamb in a curry if I can get it - or goat -wonderful...…..!

Postby halfateabag » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:51 pm

Totally agree with you LL....

Mamtas broccoli recipe is one that we keep coming back to, it is so delish.

Postby Mamta » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:02 am

Hickybank wrote:I am a big fan of Mamta's kitchen, there are some wonderful curries in there.
Our favourite is Mamta's Chicken Curry Bengali. not hot but full of flavour. (just made it for tonight.)
I have had the pleasure of meeting Mamta on several occasions, the highlight being cooking with her in her kitchen while Ann was looked after by her lovely husband,that was a day to remember for both of us.

Thank you Terry, it was such a pleasure meeting you and Ann. I still make your delicious fruit cake during winter months.
Clive, I love Baingan (aubergine) in any shape or form. A mash, Bhurta, is my most favourite.
Sloe-Gin, dry methi called Kasoori meth, has a different use than fresh leaves. It is often added to curries, dals and doughs to enhance flavour. Fresh is lovely in bhajies, my favourite being Gajar methi, have forgotten to do the link!
Kavey posts a lot on Instagram too for anyone that uses it under kaveyeats

Kavey's husband Pete cooks her lovely curries. They now Live in Wales.
Time to go and get a shower, will talk later. Keep well through this Corona nightmare. See you!
Mamta

Postby kavey » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:59 am

Hello everyone, mum let me know you were asking after me!

Yes Pete and I moved from London to rural Wales in February 2019 and we love it here. We are quite close to Abergavenny, so if and when the food festival resumes next year, go to that and we can meet up.

A lot has changed for us, but the biggest change for me is that I've become a permanent employee after nearly two decades as a freelance contractor. And I'm now working for the civil service to boot! The job is based in Newport which is only 25 minutes drive and I'm really enjoying it a lot. I've been working from home since about a week or two before lockdown, as our office had one of the earliest cases and we were all sent home a few days later.

I can't say I miss London transport or the 1.5 hour commute I made each way every day for my last role before we moved!

There are only two things I miss:
1) being closer to family and friends. It's only 3.5 hours drive from us to either my parents or to my sister or to our old neighbourhood but obviously we can't do that at the moment. We do have friends near is here though.
2) London's food diversity. I'm desperately missing Japanese, Vietnamese, Korean, Malaysian, regional Chinese, and more. Not just my beloved Bang Bang Oriental but the many other restaurants all over the city. The nearest for these now is Cardiff and it doesn't have much East Asian or South East Asian food.

On the other hand, Pete cooks me what I fancy, including mum's curries. We bought a whole hogget (serendipitously delivered the Friday before I went into WFH mode on a Monday) so lots of mum's lamb curry and also keema.

We didn't do very well with the AirBnB sadly so we haven't had that on sale for several months, of course we couldn't at the moment anyway. We will likely to to relaunch that when things open back up.

One of the blessings has been our very beautiful huge garden, it's what attracted us to this house and I've shared photos of it on my Instagram of you want to see some glimpses. We have about 3 acres so lots of space which has made lockdown less claustrophobic, for sure. My Instagram account is Instagram.com/Kaveyf

I'm still blogging at http://www.kaveyeats.com

We haven't resumed pottery since we moved, we have on our huge to do list the conversion of an old garage into a pottery studio.

I think that's me for now!

P.s. Sue, you seen very upset about the yoghurt but may I just suggest that next time you simply get in touch with mum and ask her, like Hicky stuff!!! Mum is active on the website's Facebook page and usually answers within a day. As she had always said, sometimes the recipes have accidentally omissions and she is always happy to answer questions and make corrections and clarifications.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox