Register

Favourite currys

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Favourite currys

Postby Hickybank » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:24 pm

I am a big fan of Mamta's kitchen, there are some wonderful curries in there.
Our favourite is Mamta's Chicken Curry Bengali. not hot but full of flavour. (just made it for tonight.)
I have had the pleasure of meeting Mamta on several occasions, the highlight being cooking with her in her kitchen while Ann was looked after by her lovely husband,that was a day to remember for both of us.

Re: Favourite currys

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:34 pm

My current favourite is a recipe from my uncle´s home town, Hyderabad. It´s called Baingan ka Salaan.
Aubergines cooked in a spicy coconut and peanut sauce. It´s just so unctuous!
If it were a chicken dish, I´d choose Chettinad Chicken Curry. A fairly dry dish, chicken, tomatoes, coconut, a lovely combination of spices and pretty hot!

Postby spangle » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:30 pm

I love pretty much any kind of veg curry, and absolutely addicted to dal of any type.

I remember Mamta from the BBC food board and have been browsing her website quite a bit recently. Loads of lovely stuff on there. Sounds like a proper treat day, Hickybank.

I tried a youtube video recipe for aubergine bhaji recently and it came out much more like the restaurant style ones than I've ever managed before. I think it was the use of panch phoran spice mix and also the method of putting in the aubergines quite late in the cooking process and letting them cook down with the lid on. I always tended to fry them first, but this way the texture was much better.

Postby Sloe-Gin » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:31 pm

I'm growing fresh fenugreek for chicken methi. Won't go back to the dried leavesif I can avoid it

Postby Amyw » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:45 pm

https://www.mamtaskitchen.com/recipe_di ... p?id=12919

This is beautiful . I love the tanginess of it .

Postby Seatallan » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:22 pm

I love Mamta's Chicken Madras and make it a lot. :yum

Amy- oddly enough I was flicking through my recipe file the other day and realised I'd not made Mamta's prawn patia for ages. I really must recify that as it is indeed a super recipe.
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby liketocook » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:12 pm

I've made a fair few things from Mamta's wonderful site over the years her spiced onions and keema curry are family favourites. My favourite curry to make at home is Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's Baked Chicken curry https://www.rivercottage.net/recipes/ba ... %20oil.%20

Postby ZeroCook » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:57 am

I have many favourite curries but my top favourites are like old friends - they never let you down - and I've make them often. In no particular order other than what appeals on the day:

Mamta's Prawn Patia - snap, AmyW - sweet sour hot. Recipe perfection that needs no tweaks. Sublime.
https://www.mamtaskitchen.com/recipe_di ... p?id=12919

Madhur Jaffrey's Goan Style Pork Vindaloo - hot, sour, spicy - my main tweak is using a fraction of the oil and blitzing the onions and adding to the spice paste. It's the recipe with no potatoes. Fabulous.
https://www.recipebinder.co.uk/amp/recipe-4544.html

James Oseland's Javanese Chicken Curry (Opor Ayam) - mild, aromatic, made with fresh spices and coconut millk. Dreamy , subtle and beautiful. My main tweaks are to use as many fresh spices as I can. Fresh galangal is worth finding for this and I like to add a chunk of fresh turmeric as well.
https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food ... rry-237068

Beef Rendang - Sunflower's original from the bbc mb but with a lot of major spice tweaks to suit my taste and the long cooking time. An epic curry with big cojones.

Felicity Cloake's Goan Fish Curry - easy to make, light spicy, vibrant and perfectly balanced. Not a good photo - much more unctuous looking and coats the fish more. (sorry Felicity)
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... fish-curry

KDKA - did not know your uncle was from India - any connection to your love of and repetoire of Indian cuisine? Guessing so? What are the recipes for thd two curries you mentioned?- They sound wonderful.

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:29 am

There are some lovely sounding recipes here. I like Mamta's recipes because she doesn't just use the same old spices again and again in every dish. There are certain spices (fenugreek especially) I can't bear the smell or taste of which feature in most commercially made garam masalas and restaurant fare so I steer clear most of the time. Its lovely to see authentic recipes which aren't filled with them.

Postby Badger's Mate » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:18 am

I'm growing fresh fenugreek for chicken methi. Won't go back to the dried leavesif I can avoid it

Fresh methi is a staple here, I usually grow it under the runner beans.

Hard to say my favourite HM curry. I do like MJ's Baingan Achari and Sindhi gosht. Also aloo gobi. I've got the Atul Kochhar fish book but apart from the gooseberry chutney, which I make loads of, haven't done anything from, to my shame. It's clear that we're going to have to try Mamta's prawn patia.

We eat quite a bit of Trini style curries, quite heavily dahl based and served with flatbreads, dahlpuri if poss. When we're eating out (remember that?), I could go for pretty much anything on a menu depending upon my mood.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:47 am

I don’t have a favourite curry, it depends on mood and main ingredient

The last one of Mamta’s curries I made was her lamb do pyaza - lamb with onions version 2, it’s delicious but I was a bit confused about the yogurt, you don’t need 2 cups, 500ml, just to marinade the meat, 1 cup would cover it, so I assume you add it after you have browned the meat as for most curries, but the instructions don’t say so. You can’t add it with the meat, too wet. I added it between browning the meat and adding the water. Very nice

https://www.mamtaskitchen.com/recipe_di ... p?id=10357

I think my favourite chicken curry is probably a Malay style Kapitan or a Burmese curry
I like Rick Stein’s version of the Kapitan

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/leisu ... y-kapitan/

When the summer comes back my favourite light summer curry is Madhur Jaffrey’s prawn and courgette curry which is dead easy

https://www.multiculturiosity.com/jhing ... cooking-2/

Then there’s the sour chickpea curry, and I do make Thai curries using the Mae Ploy paste though I’m going to try some from the Baan book

Postby spangle » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:54 am

Thank you to the couple of posters who mentioned growing fresh fenugreek/methi - I've been thinking about growing fenugreek sprouts but it's never occurred to me to grow the actual plants. I love fresh methi.

Just looked up a few articles on growing it in the UK and it looks perfectly feasible and you can plant the seeds until late summer. I have a small veg patch at the moment (first time in a long time I've had actual ground to grow in instead of just pots), and fenugreek seeds, so that's a plan! Not today though, it's been raining solidly for three days and the veg patch is full of really unhappy looking little limp things.

Postby Linnet » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:39 pm

My Indian neighbour is growing fenugreek, and has just offered me some plants in exchange for the tomato plants I took round a couple of weeks ago, but as I rarely make curries it might be a waste. What else could I do with fenugreek?

Postby scullion » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:03 pm

make methi puri? yummy little crisp like snacks.

i do like a good veg biryani and the simple but tasty saag aloo and madhur jaffrey's tomato and courgette curry, her beetroot and tomato one, the bombay potato from 'an indian housewife's cookbook' (a small paperback bought decades ago)... and... and...
i find it quite difficult to choose a favourite to be honest - is choosing a thali cheating?.
i think a curry night might be on the menu tomorrow!

Postby Badger's Mate » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:17 pm

We have both the prawn & courgette and the beetroot & tomato here too, not sure how I forgot those.

I enjoy a good thali in a restaurant. Well, I would if it were an option.

Postby Lusciouslush » Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:30 pm

Linnet wrote:What else could I do with fenugreek?

Apart from all of the above curries :yum - it is lovely chopped up & added to an omelette, or to bean dishes.

I had no idea it was so easy to grow - have to have a bash now...!

Postby ZeroCook » Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:58 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:The last one of Mamta’s curries I made was her lamb do pyaza - lamb with onions version 2, it’s delicious but I was a bit confused about the yogurt, you don’t need 2 cups, 500ml, just to marinade the meat, 1 cup would cover it, so I assume you add it after you have browned the meat as for most curries, but the instructions don’t say so. You can’t add it with the meat, too wet. I added it between browning the meat and adding the water. Very nice

That does look good, Stokey. I think the yoghurt quantity is correct .
Like you, I thought at first look that it was too much but there are 500g of onion as a main ingredient making a total of 1kg main ingredients including the meat and the onions together so it sounds about right if it's for the sauce as well.

Fenugreek question - is it simply grown from the whole seeds bought as a spice ingredient?

Postby spangle » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:41 pm

ZeroCook wrote:
Fenugreek question - is it simply grown from the whole seeds bought as a spice ingredient?

James Wong reckons so here:
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... reek-to-me

I've got some in the cupboard so going to try it.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:41 pm

@ZerCook it’s not the quantity of yogurt that worries me in the lamb do pyaza recipe it’s the lack of any instruction on how or when to add it to the pot after you have (presumably drained) and browned the lamb

You really don’t need 2 cups yogurt if it’s just a marinade not added to the dish as liquid

Postby Hickybank » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:08 pm

I have not tried that recipe but pinned it to try, I don't think I would have a problem using that much Yogurt as the Lamb & spices are all added to the pan to cook together, after marinading, I would assume the large amount of yogurt is the basis for the cooking sauce and stops the meat drying out.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox