Register

Favourite currys

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Favourite currys

Postby Hickybank » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:00 am

Hi Kavey lovely to hear from you, I am trying to get your mum on here but she seems to be having problems.Any chance you can help her.'Gillthepainter is also trying to sort it for her.
Cheers
Terry

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:11 pm

How lovely to hear from Mamta and Kavey again!
They were both very much in my thoughts yesterday: it´s Mango Time again here, and the tree in my back garden is absolutely laden with huge green mangoes. I made a batch of Suresh Gupta´s Sweet Mango Chutney/pickle yesterday. 3 kgs of it!

Postby Mamta » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:14 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:How lovely to hear from Mamta and Kavey again!
They were both very much in my thoughts yesterday: it´s Mango Time again here, and the tree in my back garden is absolutely laden with huge green mangoes. I made a batch of Suresh Gupta´s Sweet Mango Chutney/pickle yesterday. 3 kgs of it!

Hello Clive
Hope you are keeping well and your food business is okay in these difficult times?
I have got a lot slower in the last year and am not a prolific cook these days.
I have learnt a couple of new recipes during the lockdown from my SIL in Jaipur. If you have access to clotted cream or Malai, the thick skin top that forms on boiled and cooled fresh milk, you can try them out. Good and easy to serve.
Everyone makes my dad's mango chutney, except me. I gave up eating mangoes about 20 years ago. Don't ask why, so don't make it any more.
Mamta

Postby Mamta » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:23 pm

Amyw wrote:https://www.mamtaskitchen.com/recipe_display.php?id=12919

This is beautiful . I love the tanginess of it .

Thanks Amy, this recipe is from a Parsi friend of mine.

Postby Mamta » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:24 pm

Seatallan wrote:I love Mamta's Chicken Madras and make it a lot. :yum

Amy- oddly enough I was flicking through my recipe file the other day and realised I'd not made Mamta's prawn patia for ages. I really must recify that as it is indeed a super recipe.

As mentioned before, this lovely recipe is not mine, a friend gave it to me. Will tell her how much you guys like it .
Mamta

Postby Mamta » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:27 pm

ZeroCook wrote:.

I have many favourite curries but my top favourites are like old friends - they never let you down - and I've make them often. In no particular order other than what appeals on the day:

Mamta's Prawn Patia - snap, AmyW - sweet sour hot. Recipe perfection that needs no tweaks. Sublime.
https://www.mamtaskitchen.com/recipe_di ... p?id=12919

Madhur Jaffrey's Goan Style Pork Vindaloo - hot, sour, spicy - my main tweak is using a fraction of the oil and blitzing the onions and adding to the spice paste. It's the recipe with no potatoes. Fabulous.
https://www.recipebinder.co.uk/amp/recipe-4544.html

James Oseland's Javanese Chicken Curry (Opor Ayam) - mild, aromatic, made with fresh spices and coconut millk. Dreamy , subtle and beautiful. My main tweaks are to use as many fresh spices as I can. Fresh galangal is worth finding for this and I like to add a chunk of fresh turmeric as well.
https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food ... rry-237068

Thank you so much for putting me alongside these great, trained chefs and cooks. I am just an ordinary home cook, like most of you.
Mamta

Beef Rendang - Sunflower's original from the bbc mb but with a lot of major spice tweaks to suit my taste and the long cooking time. An epic curry with big cojones.

Felicity Cloake's Goan Fish Curry - easy to make, light spicy, vibrant and perfectly balanced. Not a good photo - much more unctuous looking and coats the fish more. (sorry Felicity)
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... fish-curry

KDKA - did not know your uncle was from India - any connection to your love of and repetoire of Indian cuisine? Guessing so? What are the recipes for thd two curries you mentioned?- They sound wonderful.

Postby Mamta » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:32 pm

Linnet wrote:My Indian neighbour is growing fenugreek, and has just offered me some plants in exchange for the tomato plants I took round a couple of weeks ago, but as I rarely make curries it might be a waste. What else could I do with fenugreek?

Put a few in your lamb casserole/similar

Postby Mamta » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:40 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:@ZerCook it’s not the quantity of yogurt that worries me in the lamb do pyaza recipe it’s the lack of any instruction on how or when to add it to the pot after you have (presumably drained) and browned the lamb

You really don’t need 2 cups yogurt if it’s just a marinade not added to the dish as liquid

Hello Sue
Are you talking about this recipe? If yes, the yoghurt amount is correct, though you can reduce it if you like. the meat is cooked with marinade, including yoghurt, so goes in the sauce.
It could do with better pictures, may be I will remember next time I make it!
Here are the instructions, please tell me which bits are not clear, I will sort them out later on;
"Mix marinade ingredients; yoghurt, salt, turmeric, coriander powder and chilli powder, add meat and leave to marinate for a couple of hours or overnight in the fridge.

Heat ghee in a pan.

First fry thinly sliced onions until brown. 1/2 tsp. sugar helps to give onions a nice brown colour. Lift out of the ghee and keep aside.

Heat remaining ghee again, add cumin seeds, bay leaves and cardamoms. When cumin seeds splutter, add thickly sliced onions, ginger and garlic and fry until onions are brown.

Add marinated meat and whole chillies. Stir fry until meat is browned.

Add 2-3 cups water and cook on medium heat, until meat is tender. You can cook it in a slow cooker at this stage. Oil floats to the top when meat is ready.

Add Thinly sliced fried onions saved from step 3.

Cook covered on low heat for further 10-15 minutes.

Add lemon juice, garam masala and stir.

Garnish with coriander leaves.

Serve hot with Chapatties or Tandoori Roties and Boiled Rice."

Postby Mamta » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:41 pm

Hickybank wrote:I have not tried that recipe but pinned it to try, I don't think I would have a problem using that much Yogurt as the Lamb & spices are all added to the pan to cook together, after marinading, I would assume the large amount of yogurt is the basis for the cooking sauce and stops the meat drying out.

Correct!
Mamta

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:33 pm

Mamta wrote: Add marinated meat and whole chillies. Stir fry until meat is browned.

I think this has got a bit overblown
If people actually read the words I wrote in the first place instead of assuming I was stupidly creating a problem…

My only minor issue was with step 5 in the recipe, which I’ve quoted above

To me “add the marinated meat” clearly meant that you drain the marinade from the meat and fry the drained meat, especially as I couldn’t see how the meat could possibly brown if I also added 2 cups (500ml) of yogurt

So I separated meat and marinade, browned the meat, then added the reserved yogurt to the pan and cooked it briefly before adding some water

It’s only, in my mind, “too much yogurt” if you discard it! And I couldn’t see where in the recipe it said to add it to the pot.

That’s all

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:43 pm

I read it in the way that you did too Sue - glad it's been resolved!

Hello Mamta & Kavey! :wave
Last edited by Earthmaiden on Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Seatallan » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:44 pm

It sounds lovely Mamta- I must try that one :yum

Kavey- lovely to see you!
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Mamta » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:03 pm

My only minor issue was with step 5 in the recipe, which I’ve quoted above

I understand what you mean Sue. I have edited it and made it clearer. All the yoghurt is added, along with the meat. Nothing is discarded.
You are right, meat marinated in yoghurt will not brown in the true sense, it will change colour from pink.
I have now edited it.
Mamta

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:47 pm

:newhuggy :thumbsup Mamta

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:51 pm

It germinates super fast and you can be harvesting in two or three weeks.

As mentioned earlier, our fenugreek seeds were sown on Friday. They had emerged above ground this morning. Shall have to give methi chicken a go.

Postby Mamta » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:34 pm

Badger's Mate wrote:
As mentioned earlier, our fenugreek seeds were sown on Friday. They had emerged above ground this morning. Shall have to give methi chicken a go.

For cooking in curries, it is the dry or Kasoori leaves that are used more often. They give a more intense flavour.
Also, methi seeds germinated like mung beans, are great in salads and stir fried with a little salt and pepper, even a little chopped onion/green chilli/ squeeze of lime juice. Methi is said to be good for diabetics.
Last edited by Mamta on Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby spangle » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:35 pm

Thanks for the reminder Badger's Mate, I've just sown some between my chard and rocket. Alan Titchmarsh was talking about catch crops on his veg growing show, planting something quick and low growing between rows of other plants, and methi sounds ideal.

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:56 pm

methi seeds germinated like mung beans, are great in salads and stir fried with a little salt and pepper,

In my single days I used to cook methi sprouts with prawns. This is a while ago. Must do it again, the current batch of seeds are clearly able to sprout, after all.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:58 pm

I made my favourite sour chickpea curry last night and also made some of Mamta's Cauliflower Bhaji/Sabji in Pickle Style
A good teaming in that the spicing is very different, but both are quite sour, so perhaps not perfect

Enjoyed it anyway, leftovers tonight

I used some of my fenugreek seeds, I suspect they have been around too long to grow, but I'll give some a try

Postby Pampy » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:14 am

Not sure if this would qualify as a curry but I've recently been introduced to thoran and absolutely loved it. I had it made with cabbage.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox