Register

Hands

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Hands

Postby PatsyMFagan » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:20 am

Mis-hearing lyrics could be the start of another thread ;) (Have we lost the 'duck' smiley ?)

Postby aero280 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:43 am

Ooh! Mondegreens!

:)

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:51 am

I read that the EU determined (2015) that Fairy washing up liquid (along with many other cleaning fluids) has to carry a skin-corrosive label:

Oh dear. Where do I start? I used to develop chemical formulations, at one time detergents but for most of my working life industrial lubricants. Due to the size of the company I also had to do the classification, labelling and safety data sheets. Throughout most of that time we used the EU-derived CHiP (Chemical Hazard information for Packaging and supply) system. However, throughout the world, different systems for doing the same thing were being modified in line with the Globally Harmonised System (GHS) developed by the UN. What happened was that the EU adopted the UN system. Under both systems, corrosive chemicals had a label showing a hand and a surface being damaged by a drop of liquid from a test tube. More dilute solutions of corrosive solutions are regarded as irritant, under the old system this label was a black saltire on an orange background, now it's an exclamation mark within a red border. Some chemicals and mixtures were classified differently under one or the other system and new information becomes available which might change classification.

The change on labelling was the result of the whole world adopting a UN system. The label isn't the work of the EU and it hasn't got the word 'corrosive', nor the corrosive symbol on the bottle.

But hey, why let the facts get in the way of Brussels bashing? It sells papers. What harm can it possibly do?

Postby Pampy » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:00 pm

I rarely wear Marigolds - only for toiletty-type cleaning. I'm quite happy to put my hands in bleach, disinfectant, washing-up liquid etc - I just make sure that I wash them properly afterwards and use a good hand cream. Never had any problems at all with damage to my hands or nails.

Postby Binky » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:45 pm

When I hear or see the word Vada it makes me think of the recurring gag in Round the Horne "How lovely to vada your dolly old eek" (60s gayspeak for how lovely to see your face again).

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:56 pm

Wow - Round the Horne. I never missed a show!! The punning was absolutely excruciating . Here´s one I remember:

" Irish Stew!"
" Irish stew???"
" Yes, Irish Stew for a salt and buttery!"

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:24 pm

I still listen to the shows on 4 Extra. We went to a couple of performances of Round the Horne Revisited. Can't believe even that was 17 years ago. :o

Postby Pampy » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:03 am

Binky wrote:When I hear or see the word Vada it makes me think of the recurring gag in Round the Horne "How lovely to vada your dolly old eek" (60s gayspeak for how lovely to see your face again).

Polari was a name used for "gayspeak". It originated in London in the 1950s and was quite "underground" until Kenneth Williams used it for a sketch in Round The Horne in the 1960s.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox