Register

Mushrooms

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Mushrooms

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:55 pm

Both my best friend and my husband cannot bear mushrooms. I really don't get it. They are right up there with aubergine as my favourite veg. Nigella's Mushroom "Steak" sandwich is one of the finest solo meals ever and I have just spotted this from Ottolenghi. (Other recipes are included).

https://www.nigella.com/recipes/mushroom-steak-sandwich

One of my swimmer friends has a 96 year old father and he has made himself mushrooms on toast for lunch daily for the last 50 years! :lol:

Any haters here?

Re: Mushrooms

Postby Busybee » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:24 pm

Absolutely love mushrooms, a great addition to any meal.

Have to sometimes disguise them as DS doesn’t like the texture but is happy to eat them if he can’t see them, if you know what I mean. Lots of chopping in food processor so he can’t distinguish them in sauces etc.

Mushrooms on toast, great lunch meal, and whilst I haven’t tried the Nigella recipe, I will now!

BB

Postby Amyw » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:52 pm

I love mushrooms and find it odd just how many people hate them . I think they’re a great way of bulking out dishes too .

One of my favourite ever starters was garlic mushrooms in a pub near Newquay . I was expecting the normal battered/breadcrumbed mushrooms with garlic mayo . Instead we had lots of mushrooms in a really garlicky thick creamy sauce with some excellent whole meal bread on the side

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:14 pm

Yum yum, that recipe looks lovely.

All through my childhood, mushrooms were bought at the market for a treat to be fried and eaten with a fried egg and bread or toast. I never saw them used in any other way. Now I love them served in just about anything or way which is suitable (but not ON the toast :oops: ).

There's a pub near here which for a while somehow procured so many large, fabulous mushrooms that they appeared in every imaginable guise on the menu. The best was a thick toasted sandwich with good bread, plenty of good cheddar and a generous helping of juicy mushroom. It sounds very simple but I have never been able to make anything similar which tasted quite so delicious.

I do not like tinned mushrooms.

Postby smitch » Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:23 pm

I love mushrooms but my husband hates them :cry: In pre-Covid times, I used to buy them if he was going out after work and make a nice treat for my tea. That Nigella recipe looks great, I'll definitely give it a try (minus the mustard).

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:58 pm

A lot of the pubs round here do a “burger” - a whole portobello mushroom and a thick slice of halloumi in a bun

I love mushrooms but seldom think to anything with them except as a casserole ingredient

Will watch this space

Postby Pampy » Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:00 pm

When I was young, I loathed them but had a Damascene moment in my 30s and absolutely love them now! I used to occasionally eat in a local pub (now sadly closed) where they served mushrooms in a garlic and Stilton sauce with crusty bread - it was heaven!

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:54 pm

Ahhhh, mushrooms! I absolutely adore them.
My dad used to buy huge field mushrooms, which would cook for about 30 minutes, slathered in butter, and served for breakfast.
Oyster mushrooms are delicious, just bathed in a little balsamic & garlic, then toasted on the BBQ.
Fettucine with sliced crimini mushrooms, parsley, garlic and a touch of cream. Or a mixed mushroom risotto.
And possibly my favourite of all, which is Madhur Jaffrey´s " Kashmiri Mushrooms", braised in spices and cooked in yoghurt.
As far as I´m concerned, there´s not mush room for discussion - they´re delicious!

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:32 pm

I am also very partial to Heinz Mushroom soup. Do they still make it? Anyone got a good homemade recipe?

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:50 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:I am also very partial to Heinz Mushroom soup. Do they still make it? Anyone got a good homemade recipe?

Yes, they do, and it sometimes comes in the govt food box delivery, along with Heinz Tomato.

Postby MagicMarmite » Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:57 pm

I love them but am sadly intolerant to them.
I do occasionally eat them and just put up with the consequences though.

Postby Badger's Mate » Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:59 pm

Slice/tear open a baguette along its length, fill with sliced mushrooms, top with Stilton. Put into a hot oven for 5-10 minutes to crisp up the bread, cook the mushrooms and melt the Stilton. :yum

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:24 pm

Oh BM! :yum :yum :yum :yum :yum

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:16 pm

That sounds delicious BM!

We eat loads of mushrooms. They are one of the things which automatically go in the shopping trolley each week, regardless of what meals we have planned. They always get used in something. The girls aren’t a fan of the texture but I regularly blitz them with other veg to go into sauces.

Step mil makes a wonderful mushroom soup with brandy in it, finished with cream and served with warm homemade bread.

Postby MagicMarmite » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:37 pm

Wow BM, that's definitely worth putting up with the consequences for, never mind the mushrooms, I'm a total cheese fiend!

Postby aero280 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:55 pm

I love mushrooms on toast. But then there is the German, Herrentoast which is even better. Mushrooms on toast with a slice of cheese melted on top under the grill. :yum :yum :yum

Postby northleedsbhoy » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:51 am

Although I love mushrooms I can’t eat them raw, they’ve got to be cooked. I put them in curries, casseroles etc, fried for breakfast or with a steak. In fact I had steak with mushrooms tonight.

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Postby herbidacious » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:34 am

I hated mushrooms as a child, which I blame on my father (mushrooms on toast: grey and so stiff you could stick a fork upright in the sauce). But was converted in late teens, then developed a keen interest in mushrooms through a friend who picked them to eat. (Her father, who was a GP, and an Eastern European Kindertransport child was an avid mushroom picker... origins may be relevant. I think a lot of British people are suspicious of picking mushrooms...?)

I think it was eating raw mushrooms (not ones I;'d picked) that actually converted me back to them...

Postby Suffs » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:58 pm

The best mushroom soup recipe is Tamsin Day Lewis' that I posted on Wildfood a while back ........ can we still search on Wildfood? I'll have a go ...

Yes ... here it is .... from Tamasin's Kitchen Bible published by Weidenfeld & Nicolson and cut and pasted from Wildfood

" This is my (well Tamasin Day Lewis's actually) ultimate mushroom soup - I posted it for Seatallen about 12 months ago, and she mentioned the other day that she's still using the recipe :D

Tamasin Day Lewis' Mushroom Soup

340g/12 oz mushrooms, wiped and sliced
55g/2oz unsalted butter
2 tbspn chopped parsley
2-3 sprigs thyme optional
a small clove of garlic, chopped and crushed
sea salt and black pepper
nutmeg or mace
1 thick slice wholemeal bread - crusts removed
1 litre/1 3/4 pts chicken stock
150 ml/5 fl oz double cream, pref Jersey

Stew the mushrooms gently in the butter in a heavy bottomed pan and when their juices begin to run, stir in half the parsley, the thyme leaves if you are using them, the garlic and the seasoning. Grate the nutmeg or mace rather than using powdered if possible. Soak the bread in a little hot stock and add it to the mushrooms, then pour over the rest of the stock. Cook for about 15 mins at a gentle simmer, then liquidise in the blender or push through the coarse disc of a mouli-légumes - I (not me - Tamasin) prefer this last option because it gives the soup a better texture. Pour in the cream and just bring the soup up to the boil before testing the seasoning, ladling it into bowls and scattering over the rest of the parsley.

This soup is also very good chilled. Allow the soup to cool. Then stir in the cream and chill further. Serve with a dollop of extra cream plopped into each bowl.

I really like this soup; the bread thickens it much better IMHO than using a roux or similar. "

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:17 pm

Thanks Suffs.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox