Register

Mushrooms

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Mushrooms

Postby Seatallan » Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:44 pm

I was about to remind Suffs of that recipe! I've been making it ever since Suffs kindly posted it on the old board. The addition of bread really makes it in my opinion. :yum
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Amyw » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:46 pm

Just searched for mushroom ideas as I got a massive pack of mushrooms reduced to 20p from Lidl the other day . Above soup looks good . Was thinking of a mushroom curry possibly too

Postby Sloe-Gin » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:17 pm

We use a lot of them. Used to go out forging with my mum. Fresh, fried in butter (and who gave a fig about the odd maggot?).
Sometimes add a little fino in mushroom soup.
We had a mushroom farm that started just before the first lockdown and it didn't survive.

Postby herbidacious » Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:57 pm

I have a friend who foraged. We had a holiday in Scotalnd staying in youth hostels a long time ago. There were lots of ceps around, and she picked some. We started frying them up in the YH and dozens of maggots came wriggling out. (Eliciting gasps of horror from fellow Youth Hostellers.) We picked them out. Her father was a GP and halso a mycophile. His patients used to bring him gifts of ones they had found.

Mushroom and leek pie is nice :)
stroganoff/goulash
this is good, but a bit of a faff. I usually add porcini to it:

https://theordinarycook.co.uk/2011/10/0 ... ellington/

ottolenghi's tray bake ragu is nice. Also, naturally, a bit involved...

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/n ... li-lasagne

The lasagne looks good too.
Last edited by herbidacious on Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:40 pm

My dad foraged, he was quite an expert, made a photographic record of local edible and toxic fungi

I made Chetna’s mushroom and black eye bean curry tonight, I’ll put more detail on the regular cooking thread, good, I’d tweak a little

I’ve got enough mushrooms to make the soup as well

Postby Kacey » Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:37 pm

Glad this thread was resurrected. Another mushroom lover here. OH used to hate them but will now eat them in things like curries as long as they're not too 'mushroomy'. So definitely no field mushrooms for him. Have a bit of blue cheese in the fridge (another thing OH hates) I won't admit to how old it is, but still edible to me. No baguettes but did make a nice crusty loaf early this morning, so that's my lunch sorted.

Postby Amber » Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:36 pm

We like them fried in very hot butter, so they are nice and crispy round the edges.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox