Register

Fish sauce

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Fish sauce

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat May 30, 2020 8:49 am

Re: Fish sauce

Postby Renee » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:40 pm

Thank you for the very interesting article Pepper Pig. I have used fish sauce in the past and I have an unopened bottle somewhere in the cupboard. There are some very useful ways of using it in the article, which hadn't occurred to me. Of course Worcestershire Sauce is a type of fish sauce!

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:51 pm

I would be more inclined to use Worcestershire sauce for a lot of those - spiking baked beans for example, that’s mainly habit. Of course that does contain anchovy

I do use fish sauce in Thai, Burmese and other cuisines, usually bog standard Squid brand Thai fish sauce which is fine. But I notice that Burmese cookery writer MiMi Aye recommends the Vietnamese 3Crabs brand. If you search on line it seems very expensive but she says it’s about £5 a bitpg bottle in Asian supermarkets. Trouble is I’ve a big bottle of Squid as I couldn’t see a 330ml one

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:58 am

Even though Worcestershire sauce has anchovies in it, I think it´s probably more of a tamarind chutney-type sauce, rather than a fish sauce. Its origins are probably from Bangladesh, where tamarind chutney is very popular.
But Bangladesh also has a huge delta, so fish is probably an important ingredient there too.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:11 am

Worcestershire sauce was developed by a Worcester pharmacist based on a recipe from a client who I think was an old India hand

But I would find the distinctive taste of Thai or Vietnamese fish sauce a little odd in some of the suggested uses in the article personally

Someone had a go at making garum the infamous Roman fish sauce and concluded you could just buy a bottle of the Asian stuff if you were recreating Roman recipes, not that different

Postby Seatallan » Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:45 pm

I use Asian style fish sauce in salad dressings often. Goes lovely with sesame oil, lime juice and a dollop of honey or home made marmalade.
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Renee » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:02 am

Now that's an idea, Seatallan! I really must look for that bottle of fish sauce that seems to have disappeared!

Postby liketocook » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:08 am

I sometimes use fish sauce as sub for anchovies if I only need a little and don't have any anchovy sauce or want to open a jar/tin.

Postby northleedsbhoy » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:13 pm

When I visit friends I have to raid the Chinese/Thai supermarkets as there is not one near them. Fish sauce is not often asked for because I generally get the large bottle (1/2 litre I think) and it lasts for ages even though it’s used often in a variety of dishes. Fresh lemon grass is also hig on their list. Supplies are running low and I don’t know next time I’ll be down to see them. Unfortunately neither supermarket does online.

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:17 pm

I was looking for something to do with prawns, and came across this:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/recipes/0/stir-fried-prawns-sugar-snap-peas-basil-chilli-lime-recipe/?li_source=LI&li_medium=li-recommendation-widget
With just a touch of Fish Sauce!

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:24 pm

Diana Henry is usually reliable but I’d be inclined to have the sugar and double the fish sauce. 3 tsp of sugar = 1 tbs = a lot

I make something very similar but I grow and use Thai basil

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:39 pm

Personally I like the sweetness. But then I´d add more chiles - with all the seeds.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox