Register

Fresh yeast & recipe question

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Fresh yeast & recipe question

Postby Lokelani » Sun May 31, 2020 1:56 pm

That's great, I"m so glad I bought it now. Crazy times that I'm really excited about a pack of yeast turning up!! :lol:

Postby jeral » Sun May 31, 2020 2:07 pm

In passing, I noticed a recipe this week for cinnamon rolls where the fold method was used. Dough rolled out to a square, folded in half. Left then rolled out again, this time folded in half then across, so quarter size. Left, then rolled out to desired tray size, sprinkled, and rolled up Swiss roll style.

Postby ZeroCook » Sun May 31, 2020 5:16 pm

That's interesting, Jeral. Is that for sealing in layers of cinnamon etc?

I use the fold technique (3xfold in thirds) in place of conventional kneading while dough is rising.

Lokelani wrote:I gave into temptation & bought a 500g pack of Fermipan from Amazon! I wanted to save stocks for those who baked more, but if I have that much yeast I think I will anyway.
It looks like its described as instant yeast, so I'm guessing I just treat it like the Doves Farm quick yeast I normally get from Lakeland or the Allinsons Easy blend.
So it's a good idea to keep all dry yeast in the fridge or the freezer then? Even the unopened ones? Might as well if it makes them last longer. :)

I really fancy having a go at cinnamon swirls & rum babas sometime. :)

You're going to have blast, Lokelani!

As StokeySue says, Fermipan is the original easyblend dried yeast and commonly used by pros and bakeries. If you recall and look at the Yeast Supplys thread from a while back, there's quite a bit of feedback on dry yeast and Fermipan.

My rule of thumb for 500g packs of dry yeast is that it's fine to store unfridged indefinitely if vacuum sealed/packed and kept tightly closed in the freezer once opened.

I open a pack by snipping off just enough of one corner to get a teaspoon in, roll up to get as much air out as poss, secure with a thick elastic band, and double bag in small zip freezer bags and keep in the freezer.

As mentioned before, I have had dry yeast that has kept perfectly
for 2-3 years that way until I used it up.

Postby jeral » Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:07 pm

ZeroCook wrote:That's interesting, Jeral. Is that for sealing in layers of cinnamon etc?

The cinnamon was added just before the pastry sheet was finally rolled up and sliced into rings. I tried but failed to find the link again.

I read somewhere else that it's not good to damage gluten strands once you've created them, so it might be that folding keeps more of the directionality of the strands.

Eh up! Look what I just found, which explains why :)
https://www.thespruceeats.com/how-to-fo ... gh-1446709

Postby ZeroCook » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:00 pm

Good link Jeral - good explanation of folding.
And so much easier and quicker than unnecessary kneading which is why a lot of people are put off breadmaking I think.

Postby Lokelani » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:33 pm

Yay, it's arrived!! So pleased. Also glad it's coincided with cooler weather forecast in a couple of days time so I won't mind having the oven on when the flurry of baking commences! :lol:

The cinnamon swirls I want to try to re-create are the amazing ones we have when in Cornwall made by a fabulous cafe. There is a recipe online that is meant to be theirs, so I'll give it a go some time. In case anyone else is interested it's here:

https://food-mag.co.uk/cinnamon-buns/

Bread, foccacia, rolls & pizza first though I reckon. A bit healthier maybe....

Thanks for all the help & the wealth of information as always. :)

Postby dennispc » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:27 pm

Fermipan, is quantity the same as ‘normal' dried yeast - 7gms for 500 of flour?

Postby Pampy » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:14 am

dennispc wrote:Fermipan, is quantity the same as ‘normal' dried yeast - 7gms for 500 of flour?

Yes, it is.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox