Register

When we can finally entertain again....

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: When we can finally entertain again....

Postby scullion » Sun May 31, 2020 11:59 am

Busybee wrote:What is local opinion Scully?

i don't really know, i've not really spoken to anyone! although i would say, picking up vibes from the local news website, that there is more dissatisfaction with the current advice than, possibly, upcountry. cornwall has a very low infection rate and most would want to keep it that way - we do have an older population than many other counties.
i think maybe those who make their living from tourism want things to open quicker than they should but those who don't will possibly keep away from 'visitors' for the rest of the year or until a vaccine is available, anyway.
treliske is on red alert every summer. the population doubles and those who insist on going home with a tropical tan land up in a and e with sunburn (among other ailments). they are the sort of people who don't think about how their actions effect others and would be less vigilant at distancing, possibly.

Postby scullion » Sun May 31, 2020 12:08 pm

Linnet wrote:Not much social distancing going on here - take a look at the pics!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-52864454

i do wonder how many of the people going to the beach for the day are local to the area. when we went down on friday there was the normal low season numbers as opposed to the hordes, there, over the bank holiday weekend.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun May 31, 2020 12:34 pm

i've seen those pics of Durdle Door

You do wonder why anyone would think it a good idea to jump off a cliff

Postby Pampy » Sun May 31, 2020 1:28 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:You do wonder why anyone would think it a good idea to jump off a cliff

Reduce their potential impact on the gene pool perhaps? :lol: :lol:

I think the police said that they had to ignore social distancing in order to get people to move to allow the helicopters to land on the beach.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun May 31, 2020 1:33 pm

oh, yes the extreme crowding is to allow the emergency services room to manoeuvre, but there are pictures before they were shifted, and there wasn't a lot of adequate distancing going on, as far as I could tell

Postby scullion » Sun May 31, 2020 6:03 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:i've seen those pics of Durdle Door

well i suppose it does depend on how well you know where you are jumping from. there are rocks round here that are regular 'jumping off points'. one, at trevaunance is called children's rock and is where the nippers learn a bit about jumping into water the correct way.
i wonder at the (specific or any) costal knowledge of those jumping at durdle door - 200ft is a suicidal height to jump from. my partner has read that one of the tombstoners had to be extracted from the sea bed after embedding himself into the sand. yesterday hasn't put the stupid ones getting round the road closure to durdle door beach, and having a go today. darwin award.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun May 31, 2020 6:16 pm

Very sad :(.

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun May 31, 2020 11:33 pm

Because they can. Or because they want to. That´s what kids love to do.

Back in 1997-1998, we were in Margarita, our favourite island just off the north-east coast of Venezuela. We were at a beach called "Parguito" with some friends. Our 14-15 yr olds had disappeared, so I went to look for them. No sign along the beach, but then I went up the "mountain" ( about 40 mts) to take a look. Sure enough, I found a cove where the kids were hurling themselves off the cliff and into the water. The scary thing was that the waves came in and filled the cove; but then they went out and the cove had very little water, so the jump had to be well-timed.

My son still has the photo I took of him suspended in mid-air, from 30 ft up! :gonzo :gonzo

Postby Gruney2 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:21 am

Yes Kkd - I'm afraid I was just as daft when I was young. You think differently when you get older, but there's something inside me that says you don't want lads to be weighing up pros and cons and consequences all the time. "He was never any trouble to his mother" doesn't sound like too much fun to me. I wonder if as many gallantry medals would have been won if the recipients had stopped to think. But as I say, you see things differently when you get a bit older.

Postby jeral » Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:42 pm

If my mum knew half of the dangerous stuff I got up to as an indestructible kid/teen, she'd have had heart failure :lol: I imagine these reports wouldn't have hit the news except for the lack of social distancing proximate.

The problem with meeting up is that people have to travel, which might be fine if going by car, but who wants to risk public transport if they don't have to?

Postby Seatallan » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:33 pm

I do wish the Government had followed Scotland & Wales and put a distance on how far people can travel. It would have made so much more sense. I think the 5 mile guidance for Scotland & Wales is probably a little too draconian, but if they'd asked people to limit their days out to within a 20 mile radius of where they lived for example, it would have really helped. Most people have somewhere suitable for picnics, etc, within that sort of distance. It's just daft allowing (or even encouraging) people to travel as far as they want without taking into account the pressure on local services, who of course gain nothing from the influx because nothing is open (and in fact, end up with all the mess). Typical un-joined-up thinking on the part of Bojo & co. But don't get me started. I'm fed up to the back teeth with them. :evil:
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby jeral » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:41 pm

Seatallan, quite agree. What's the point of having track and trace if it can't pinpoint the identity and location for an original carrier before he/she started an outbreak that could be miles away and then disseminated randomly anywhere or everywhere? One step forward, two steps back?

Postby Seatallan » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:17 pm

Absoutely, Jeral.

I also think that lifting the lockdown further before there's a reliable app in place is well and truly asking for trouble.
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox