Register

Who cares about our food standards?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Who cares about our food standards?

Postby Suffs » Wed May 27, 2020 3:46 pm

Re: Who cares about our food standards?

Postby Busybee » Wed May 27, 2020 4:07 pm

I was aware of this Suffs.

Our local MP was one of those who voted it through. As you know I live in an agricultural area, he has been soundly thrashed on social media for the way he voted.

With that and Dominic Cummings he has not had an easy ride of it this week. ;)

I’m really concerned about animal welfare and there being a level playing field. How can farmers compete when imports are not subject to the same standards. But I get myself twisted up when I factor in that for some homes just being able to afford food is the prime concern not where or how it’s been raised.

It’s a conundrum.

BB

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed May 27, 2020 4:42 pm

So worrying.

Earlier in the week I asked what the circus we were being treated to was masking.

It is, of course, this kind of thing and the fact there is only a month to get through before it will be too late to extend the Brexit transition (which would hold up shady deals for longer). I know and respect that we all have different opinions but we need to be concentrating on this sort of thing and discussing it rather than having our eyes continually taken off the ball. I truly wonder if all the things which make this government look particularly stupid and draw our attention, aren't carefully choreographed.

As for a need for very cheap food, I agree that everyone in a country which is affluent and fair should have access to food, maybe the root causes of why many don't should be examined.

Postby Suelle » Wed May 27, 2020 5:06 pm

It's a tricky subject - the majority of people want cheap food. Some people need cheap food!

Prices are already rising during this pandemic - some of it will be due to the increased Health and Safety issues at all stages of production and distribution - but it's coming at a time when many people, many on minimum wages and/or zero hour contracts, are having to live on either 80% of their usual income or Universal Credit. Even people previously willing to pay for higher welfare meat may not be able to now.

All we can hope is that any lower welfare imports are clearly labelled so that they can be avoided, but the worry is that much of it may be used in processed products, where it's difficult for the customer to interpret the legalities about labelling.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Suffs » Wed May 27, 2020 5:41 pm

Food is much cheaper than it used to be as a proportion of the average household income. The problem is the increasing inequity of income across the board (why does no one ever point out that percentage-based pay rises are going to increase inequity, not reduce it) and the huge number of other expenses that even poor families have to pay ... insurances, mobile phone costs, cars and fuel to name but a few .,. once upon a time these were considered luxuries but very few families
can work and educate their children without them nowadays. And property prices are ridiculous ... in 1964 the average family home in East Anglia cost £2,999. That’s just under £57,000 in today’s money. Anyone know where you can buy a family home for £57,000 nowadays? Or double it ... or treble it ... or ...

It’s not cheap food that we need ... that won’t help the less well off ... it’s a total shakeup and re-ordering of the way things are that’s needed. Maybe proper recognition through pay of the role key workers play in our society would be a start.

Climbs down from soap box ....

Postby jeral » Wed May 27, 2020 5:55 pm

It was often a suggestion re meat and dairy that we should eat better but maybe less of it according to our budgets. Assuming that some people will choose cheap food by choice or necessity, is it not a problem that even people who can afford the good stuff will probably eat less, especially with veggie and vegan inclinations growing? Therefore, the chances are that animal farming will get hit from both ends?

I think it's despicable if assurances and safeguards have been omitted from primary legislation considering the hours of debate and insistence in order to get them written into the legislation in the first place, albeit when a negligible government majority prevailed.

Postby Suelle » Wed May 27, 2020 6:16 pm

I don't disagree with you, Suffs, but under the current system (which isn't likely to be overhauled anytime soon, despite many pundits putting forward proposals for alternative models of society, in the light of the effects of corona virus) I'm afraid cheap food has its attractions for many.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Wed May 27, 2020 10:51 pm

Just taking the title of this thread, I have to say my daughter doesn't. Since we have been living under the same roof, it has become very obvious how much we each choose to spend on food.

Take Chicken for instance. ... the lowest quality I will buy is Free Range. Daughter buys the cheapest chicken fillets she can find (she won't touch anything with a bone in it). The same for most food she buys. She does however, spend plenty on wine and tobacco. So, different priorities. She says she can only afford the cheapest chicken with no thought to the quality or living conditions of the chicken.

However she is the first one to get cross if she sees any animal being ill-treated. :roll:

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu May 28, 2020 9:08 am

So many people are detached from the sources of their food it'd be interesting to know what % of people even think about it, regardless of means (it could be higher or lower than one's guess, I don't know).

Suelle is certainly right about processed foods and of course, fast food/takeaways where even those who are fussy in the butcher's seem to throw caution to the wind and enjoy the food without asking questions because it tastes nice.

I fear we'll continue to have an uphill struggle both with food standards and social issues :(.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu May 28, 2020 10:02 am

I have to say this one has more or less passed me by, and I haven’t read most of the article - the combination of terrible writing and fixed layout defeated me, does anyone know what the actual name of the act is?

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu May 28, 2020 10:25 am

Sue - it was a proposed amendment to the Agricultural Bill.
https://www.theyworkforyou.com/division ... 42-commons

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu May 28, 2020 10:46 am

Thank you Earthmaiden
The synopsis on that page is clear
A majority of MPs voted against requiring new international treaties on the import of agricultural and food products to ensure products imported into the UK under those arrangements comply with World Trade Organisation safety rules and the UK's own standards.

No, obviously on the side of the amendment - if we have a standard for, say chicken that should be fixed. That’s the U.K. standard end of, we do it with drugs, electrical goods and motor vehicles, why would food be different?

Cost of food post Brexit is going to be a huge issue though, which goes far beyond just this. And like the rest of you I do wonder how concerned the non-foodie population are, would like to see a well conducted survey

Postby scullion » Thu May 28, 2020 11:11 am

unfortunately, as earthmaiden says, people are detached from the process of food production, especially meat. programmes like 'country file' show scenes of happy cows in fields but the programmes about slaughter houses and butchery are few and far between.
my fathers conversion to vegetarianism (a previously big meat eater) was the result of a cycle to work one day. when passing the local slaughter house, a couple of pigs had escaped onto the road and were chased by men wielding cleavers. he got off his bike and threw up.
the regulations have changed in the fifty years or more since that happened, thankfully. hopefully the standards for animal welfare won't drop. or the standards for other foods, too. crop sprays come to mind - and an increased use of corn syrup if imports are inevitable from the usa?

Postby jeral » Thu May 28, 2020 12:59 pm

Some of the illicit reports from meat packing factories in the US are horrendous both for hygiene and working conditions. It's unlikely that cameras will be openly invited in, any more than they are in this country, so "What they eye doesn't see..." won't change until more eyes do see what goes on behind closed doors. It certainly wouldn't make for good TV though plus one can't un-see things.

I like Stokey Sue's suggestion of an extensive survey on consumer opinion, which hopefully would be repeated at least annually to see any change. Anyone know if YouGov considers suggested surveys?

Postby Suelle » Thu May 28, 2020 1:18 pm

The USA might have low animal welfare standards, but there are several EU countries, most notably Germany, where meat processing factories have been seeing high levels of corona virus infections because of the appalling conditions their migrant workers live in.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52738356

Reforms are now underway, but I'm betting this isn't a result of new workers brought in to cope with the extra demand for staff during the pandemic, but has probably been going on for years.

There's more than the animals to worry about in the push for cheap food!

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox