Register

Flapjacks

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Flapjacks

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon May 25, 2020 5:10 pm

Re: Flapjacks

Postby Amyw » Mon May 25, 2020 5:20 pm

I have a fairly sweet tooth but flapjacks have never really done it for me . They fall into the camp if if someone gave it to me I’d happily eat one , but I don’t think I’ve ever actually bought one myself . My thinking if I wanted something sweet with butter and sugar in , there are many more things I’d choose ahead of a flapjack

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon May 25, 2020 6:50 pm

I will happily eat any flapjack (though the banana one might be pushing it). Most of us have made it with a variety of oat types and additions over the years. Just the other day I made a batch using dark brown sugar because I had far more of that in the larder than soft brown.

BUT, when I eat a basic, bog standard flapjack made with the correct ingredients and no additions, I always wonder why we have such a desire to tweak it. The combination of ingredients makes a thing of beauty IMO which is perfect as it is.

I don't find them that simple to cook. They need to come out if the oven at exactly the right time to be of the right chewing consistency (I.e. not too hard and not too soft). It is always tempting to leave them in the oven a fraction too long because at the precisely right time they don't look quite ready and you can't really tell how well they'll turn out until they've cooled.

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon May 25, 2020 6:55 pm

I broke a tooth on an overdone flapjack once. :(

Postby Renee » Mon May 25, 2020 7:16 pm

That would put you off them for life PP! :thumbsdown

I loved the flapjacks that mum made which were nicely sticky and chewy and I found a very nice flapjack on sale at Chorley bus station in the shop there. Mine turned out well, too although I haven't made them in a long time.

Postby Lokelani » Mon May 25, 2020 8:29 pm

I can't remember the last time I made any. I do remember as a child preferring the mixture before it was cooked! They would have been just a traditional butter, oat recipe though, nothing unusual added.

Postby scullion » Mon May 25, 2020 10:10 pm

i like flapjacks to be a bit chewy but i don't think i've ever made them like that. they always turn out a bit hard and dry - i don't make them that often.

Postby Suelle » Mon May 25, 2020 11:09 pm

scullion wrote:i like flapjacks to be a bit chewy but i don't think i've ever made them like that. they always turn out a bit hard and dry - i don't make them that often.

My recipe is always chewy, but Lynn Hill of the Clandestine Cake Club - says you need some flour in a flapjack mix to ensure chewiness:
https://clandestinecakeclub.co.uk/easy-flapjack-recipe/

My recipe, for comparison:
https://mainlybaking.blogspot.com/2019/ ... jacks.html
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby scullion » Mon May 25, 2020 11:49 pm

i'll try yours the next time i make some.
not sure how adding flour makes them chewy - and i wish people would read their copy before they post. i reread lyn's description a couple of times before realising that she didn't mean what she'd written -

Adding a little flour to the mixture helps prevent flapjacks stay soft and chewy, rather than hard and brittle often making them impossible to eat.

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue May 26, 2020 1:07 am

As I sort of mentioned above, I think that hard, dry flapjack has often been left in the oven for too long. For me, the most successful come out just before they look ready (which is a bit of a leap of faith!).

Postby Seatallan » Tue May 26, 2020 3:24 pm

I have a 'Farmhouse Kitchen' recipe for honey & sesame flapjacks and they're to die for. :yum
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox