Register

Bean Sprouts

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Bean Sprouts

Postby Badger's Mate » Sun May 24, 2020 9:43 am

Not beans, but I've used fenugreek sprouts in curries quite successfully. In a salad I would imagine they should be used sparingly. Lentil sprouts make a good savoury filling to a hot sandwich or 'burger', (though more like a sloppy Joe I suppose), if stir-fried with soy sauce.

Malting technology and economics has changed hugely since the invention of the sprouting jar. It's now possible to make malt using much less space than before by sprouting the barley in big rotating vessels rather than spreading it over a floor. We've got a maltster in the next village who now makes as much malt as they ever did but gets more revenue but letting out the otherwise unused buildings.

Re: Bean Sprouts

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat May 30, 2020 9:23 pm

Well, I sprouted some of my Carlin peas

Easy enough, no problems, stopped sprouting on day 6 as the jar was full and the stalks were a bit longer than commercial bean sprouts but a bit thinner

The sprouts were ok, tasted a bit like raw mange tout though milder. The problem was that the actual peas showed no sign of shedding their leathery black skin, so they had to be picked over to harvest the sprouts

Then I dropped them on the floor :lol:

Will try again with more suitable pulses

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox