Register

ISO Sakkarin and Aero

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

ISO Sakkarin and Aero

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed May 20, 2020 3:56 pm

Re: ISO Sakkarin and Aero

Postby aero280 » Wed May 20, 2020 4:36 pm

The McDonalds on the Watford by-pass is at the end of the estate. I'm not planning to go out in the foreseeable future. :)

Postby Busybee » Wed May 20, 2020 4:45 pm

Same issue in York, but at KFC.

BB

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed May 20, 2020 5:26 pm

That really is desperately sad.

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed May 20, 2020 5:41 pm

Yes. But unsurprising.

Postby Pampy » Wed May 20, 2020 6:56 pm

It was like this where I live just before McD's closed. And I've seen an article in the Manchester Evening News with a picture shows heaps of KFC rubbish just flung on the ground near to a KFC that has just re-opened.

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed May 20, 2020 7:29 pm

Ours aren't opening yet. They've had huge queues at KFC though and at all the chip shops which have opened.

Some of you will have heard me mention a couple I know, both well over 70 and 'vulnerable' who are out visiting supermarkets and such places every day despite having freezers groaning with food. Burger King has been open for a few weeks, popular with workers such as ambulance crews and other key workers. The other day they were passing and were tempted to stop and buy a meal. They said they sat in the car park and devoured it and it was the best food they'd had for weeks. :o

Postby scullion » Wed May 20, 2020 10:05 pm

which goes to show that 'the new normal' is going to be just like the old normal as recidivism kicks in.

Postby smitch » Wed May 20, 2020 11:20 pm

There was a massive queue at the KFC drive through when we went past earlier.

We did a click and collect at Five Guys before our collection slot at Asda. I really enjoyed it, just the right combo of salt and grease :oops:

They were very well organised and brought our food to the car.

Postby ZeroCook » Thu May 21, 2020 4:05 pm

-

Seems to be the same all over. I really just don't get it. I get it that a lot of people like industrial strength fastfood. But to like it so much that they'll go out in the middle (yes, middle or not even middle yet) of a pandemic and line up around the block???? What part of uncontained-still-on-the-upswing-and-likely-to-get-worse pandemic don't we understand?

Could someone who partakes, please enlighten me?

Postby smitch » Thu May 21, 2020 5:04 pm

I love the occasional bit of fast food, but there are limits and I'd never queue for it to the extent some people are. I also saw massive lines outside the garden centre so I think some people are just over excited to have somewhere to go and the opportunity to not have to cook.

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri May 22, 2020 3:09 am

Looks like people are just desperate to eat something that´s not home cooking!

Postby northleedsbhoy » Fri May 22, 2020 9:27 am

McDs is something that I might eat if I’ve been for a drink in town or for breakfast at the station if I’m catching an early train. Certainly would not queue like I’ve seen in photos for it.

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Postby Uschi » Fri May 22, 2020 12:32 pm

I think it is also a bit of "back to normal".
My mother was a full-time nurse and did all the cooking, but every couple of weeks we hit the snack-bar and feasted on chips, Currywurst or Schaschlik or rotisserie chicken.

It may be the same thing here after so many weeks of one's own cooking.

Postby Mrs Vee » Fri May 22, 2020 1:03 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:Looks like people are just desperate to eat something that´s not home cooking!

So am I! I like cooking but right now I’m sick of it – I’m desperate to go out for lunch somewhere… anywhere! It doesn’t have to be anything special; a sandwich and a coffee would do, just to feel like a little bit of normality had returned.

McD and KFC aren’t my thing, haven’t set foot in either of them for 30 years, but I completely understand why people would go there as soon as they opened.

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri May 22, 2020 1:14 pm

Quite a few of the (mainly) under 35s I worked with virtually lived on these kinds of fast food. I think they have addictive qualities once you've had a few and they're quick and easy. Many people will really have been craving them.

Postby Busybee » Fri May 22, 2020 2:43 pm

Mrs Vee wrote:
karadekoolaid wrote:Looks like people are just desperate to eat something that´s not home cooking!

So am I! I like cooking but right now I’m sick of it – I’m desperate to go out for lunch somewhere… anywhere! It doesn’t have to be anything special; a sandwich and a coffee would do, just to feel like a little bit of normality had returned.

Couldn’t agree more, I’m sick of cooking and cleaning. I’d be happy with anything I hadn’t cooked myself, but I’m really craving my Dads twice cooked chips and an Indian, preferably sit down with a chat to the waiters and other regulars.

BB

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri May 22, 2020 4:35 pm

We're having fish and chips via Deliveroo tonight. Not our regular chippy but good enough. :clap :clap

And yes, I am absolutely sick of cooking.

Postby aero280 » Fri May 22, 2020 6:54 pm

Our local, and very good, chippie has been doing "Phone and collect" for three weeks now. I send OH up the hill to get them, but only because she reckons she needs some exercise. ;)

http://www.godfreyschips.com

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon May 25, 2020 8:40 pm

Follow up to that horrific story of the bike being stolen from outside Asda, yet another scary front page headline for the Watford Observer website today, proof once again what a den of vice and iniquity this place is.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox