Register

More easy bread recipes

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: More easy bread recipes

Postby aero280 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:35 am

When i last looked, Dove's Farm had no Vitamin C, but I got some online from Lakeland last week.

I tried some of their "dough improver", which had claims of improved texture and rise, and it made no difference at all...

Postby PatsyMFagan » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:57 am

Ah, thanks for that tip Pampy ... :thumbsup

Postby ZeroCook » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:30 pm

Missed some replies here - thanks KC2 and Patsy.
Duh, Bea - course I saw the Miracle Bread recipe - just didn't register and thought there was another!

Following on from autolyse is folding rather than kneading dough. It's the no knead pro technique that produces best easiest perfect results. I started doing it years ago via Dan Lepard an early advocate.

Adding link below showing bread folding posted on another bread thread. Not only does folding dough replace kneading and not only is it hugely easier and quicker but it really is preferable and makes better bread and yeasted yeasted stuff.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/how-to-fold-bread-dough-1446709

Postby dennispc » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:02 am

Part way through that link ZeroCook it says,

"....your recipe may instruct you to punch down the dough at regular intervals."

Never come across that before. Interesting.

Folding - always fold a couple of times when it comes out of the bowl. Would prefer to use DL's slow folding method, but sometimes not convenient as we don't have a lot of space.

Postby scullion » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:39 am

my partner does a sort of autolyse/long rest with the bread he makes. he mixes the ingredients with a spoon (saves getting his hands 'dirty') and leaves it overnight to prove in the tray that it'll be baked in. no kneading, folding or anything after the initial mixing and shaping into a baton. it turns out pretty damned good with nice open crumb.

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:43 am

scullion wrote:my partner does a sort of autolyse/long rest with the bread he makes. he mixes the ingredients with a spoon (saves getting his hands 'dirty') and leaves it overnight to prove in the tray that it'll be baked in. no kneading, folding or anything after the initial mixing and shaping into a baton. it turns out pretty damned good with nice open crumb.

Ah, that's almost exactly the "Miracle Bread" method I now use. Does he also use a tiny amount of yeast and more liquid? The recipe I was given only has a quarter of a teaspoon of dried yeast, 400 ml of water for 400 g of flour. I mix it in a bowl and then transfer to the loaf tin.

Postby scullion » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:10 pm

no, in the past he used the normal recipe amounts with yeast, now he is using the sourdough starter we were given. he uses more of it than i'd be inclined but i may eventually bring him round to attempt it with less - there is a touch of stubbornness that he would refuse is there!

Postby Hickybank » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:09 am

I discovered this method many years ago after watching this youtube clip it works perfectly although over the years i have drifted sway from it, I must go back & try it again, here is the link to it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13Ah9ES2yTU

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox