Register

Chickpea Recipes and Chocolate

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Chickpea Recipes and Chocolate

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri May 15, 2020 10:44 am

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... es-10-best

Sorry to dump yet another Guardian food clip on here but I am fascinated by the Chocolate and Rum Torte made with chickpeas. I think it would work (having been amazed at something similar made with avocado), has anyone ever tried it?

Some of the other recipes don't look bad and actually use things I might have in this provincial outpost. Bit low on goat's yogurt and pork scratchings though.

Re: Chickpea Recipes and Chocolate

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri May 15, 2020 11:02 am

That might work - and a lot cheaper and easier to find than all those ground almonds

Postby Suelle » Fri May 15, 2020 12:49 pm

I imagine blitzed chickpeas are very similar to any ground nut - here you're using them as a flour replacement, rather than a fat replacement, which is how avocado is often used.

My local Cake Club is meeting virtually at the end of the month, with the theme of 'lockdown baking' I've always been curious about aquafaba (the liquid from tinned chickpeas, used instead of egg whites) so plan to make these:

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/a ... t-tom-hunt
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri May 15, 2020 2:18 pm

Rather good to see we could get two lots of sweet treats from a tin of chickpeas!

I won't be going shopping force couple of weeks but might get chocolate and try the torte.

Do report back on the aquafaba biccies Suelle!

Postby spangle » Sat May 16, 2020 12:32 am

I haven't used aquafaba in baking but I did make a chocolate mousse with it and it was really good. I used the liquid from a tin of chickpeas in water, i.e. no salt, and an electric whisk. It felt like nothing was going to happen for ages but then it almost magically turned into what looked like whisked egg white, and the mousse was really bubbly and light.

The recipe was from a Bosh cookbook, I think this is the same recipe:
https://foodlifecooking.weebly.com/choc ... ousse.html

I left my chocolate to cool a bit too long after melting before folding it through and it went a bit lumpy, but was still very nice.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat May 16, 2020 12:55 pm

spangle wrote:I haven't used aquafaba in baking but I did make a chocolate mousse with it and it was really good. I used the liquid from a tin of chickpeas in water, i.e. no salt, and an electric whisk. It felt like nothing was going to happen for ages but then it almost magically turned into what looked like whisked egg white, and the mousse was really bubbly and light.

The recipe was from a Bosh cookbook, I think this is the same recipe:
https://foodlifecooking.weebly.com/choc ... ousse.html

I left my chocolate to cool a bit too long after melting before folding it through and it went a bit lumpy, but was still very nice.

Fascinating! And rather easy! Reminds me of Claudia Roden's chocolate dessert that is literally melted chocolate and double cream mixed and chilled!

Postby ZeroCook » Sat May 16, 2020 6:04 pm

EM please post results if you make it. Am also in a provincial outpost - no chickpeas and have been wanting dried or tinned for a while - will order online ....

Ground nuts are less absorbent and much less starchy than blitzed cooked legumes like chickpeas which are also very wet. At the very least you would have drastically adjust the liquids. Dry polenta is sometimes subbed for all or part of ground slmonds on middle eastern or Spanish orange cakes a la Claudia Roden for example.

spangle wrote:I haven't used aquafaba in baking but I did make a chocolate mousse with it and it was really good. I used the liquid from a tin of chickpeas in water, i.e. no salt, and an electric whisk. It felt like nothing was going to happen for ages but then it almost magically turned into what looked like whisked egg white, and the mousse was really bubbly and light.

That is a revelation. Had no idea that chickpea water could even do that, Spangle. I'm sometimes wary of using raw eggs in cold dishes unless super organic and super fresh. Great for vegans too.

KeenCook2 wrote:Fascinating! And rather easy! Reminds me of Claudia Roden's chocolate dessert that is literally melted chocolate and double cream mixed and chilled!

So good! Ganache by any other name!

Postby spangle » Sat May 16, 2020 7:49 pm

I didn't really believe the whisked aquafaba would work, I'd heard it talked about excitedly in vegan circles and thought it would be one of those just-about-passable substitutes. But it was really impressive. Caveat - I rarely cook with eggs so can't remember the last time I whisked any up into soft or stiff peaks. But this did the job in the choc mousse.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox