Register

Miso

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Miso

Postby halfateabag » Fri May 15, 2020 9:29 am

Good morning, I have heard of miso every now and again but found this recipe...https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... nt-recipes and thought I would like to try miso with a bit more seriousness. Had a choice of 3 yesterday in the local health food shop so having read up a bit about it, bought the middle coloured one.... All the writing was foreign and there was no real detail on any of the packs. So without any real instructions, can anyone help with other recipes or pointers to websites/ideas etc. ?

I understand that the pack will last around a year in the fridge. It's also a fermented product which I hear lengthens its shelf life.

I initially looked at making my own but it seems a large faff !

Site Admin

Re: Miso

Postby Sakkarin » Fri May 15, 2020 10:17 am

I've got several variants in my fridge that have been there so long that I can't even remember what I used them for! Korean recipes I think, many of which have Japanese roots.

I vaguely remember miso being cited as a replacement for Korean doenjang paste, I think that's why I've got some miso, before I found a supply of doenjang. As I say, both have sat unloved in the fridge ever since.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri May 15, 2020 10:24 am

Sorry Zosh, which of the 50 recipes are you looking at? Can’t search within the Guardian pages

I buy miso every so often then lose enthusiasm again

I do like miso soup, I don’t always put tofu in, but here’s a simple version that doesn’t require any further exotic ingredients

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/veg ... u-cabbage/

Postby Badger's Mate » Fri May 15, 2020 10:33 am

Morning Zosh

I've got a jar of Clearspring miso that I've had in the fridge for several years, still seems OK. I use it from time to time in stir fries and glazes, to make an emergency stock (or soup of course), or add savouriness to a bland one. I once had a very intriguing miso fudge in a restaurant, subtly sweet and deeply savoury in a way that the now ubiquitous salted caramel isn't. My one caveat is that as the savouriness comes with sweetness you can't overdo it, or use it where you don't want the latter. As a consequence I tend to use a low salt yeast extract more often in stews. You've been cooking for long enough to realise, once you've tasted it, that it has got a lot of applications.

Postby herbidacious » Fri May 15, 2020 10:36 am

The glazed auberigne one, I think, is the only one with miso, Sue?

I too have some bought for a recipe I didn't make.

Izzy Hossack puts it in her bechamel. In fact she uses it lot, often in unexpected ways. I guess it adds umami?

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri May 15, 2020 10:44 am

I think it's cropped up a couple of times in the current Great British menu, I'm pretty sure there was some miso ice cream...

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri May 15, 2020 10:55 am

herbidacious wrote:The glazed auberigne one, I think, is the only one with miso, Sue?

Yes, that’s quite hard for me to find

I am not convinced by just applying the miso and honey as a dressing, I think it’s usually cooked with the aubergine, like this, though miso is used quite a lot in dressings

https://www.japancentre.com/en/recipes/ ... -aubergine

Kavey has quite a bit about miso on her site
https://www.kaveyeats.com/ingredient/miso

Postby Lokelani » Fri May 15, 2020 12:26 pm

I don't know where I got the recipe from, I probably cobbled several together with what I had in. I use this with stir fried chicken. Probably also nice with pork or fish. Quite a nice balance of sweet, sour, savoury. Might be nice with chilli too if you want heat.

Miso, mirin, sesame, garlic, ginger, soy, lime marinade or sauce

Red miso paste - i heaped teasp
Mirin - goodly glug, about 2 teasp
Sesame oil, small drizzle, about 1 teasp
Smoked garlic powder - maybe half teasp - or crushed fresh garlic
Grated ginger or ginger powder - about teasp
Lime juice - half a lime
Soy sauce - 1-2 teasp

Sorry it's so vague, I don't actually measure the ingredients, just a shake of this & that. I just added the above & stirred it together until it tasted nice, put some aside for the sauce later & marinated chicken in the rest.

Postby halfateabag » Fri May 15, 2020 3:32 pm

Salivating on that Ckx stir fry recipe... Thanks :yum

Have just completed the aubgerine recipe and will probably share a half as a starter this evening....

Thanks one and all for your input :clap

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri May 15, 2020 9:36 pm

Hey, Zosh - just a thought.
South-east Asian, Chinese and Japanese condiments ( and excuse me for clumping them all together), in my humble opinion, tend to be potent. Everything from soy sauce, mirin, teriyaki, ketjap manis, sesame oil, fish sauce, rice wine , etc. seem pretty innocuous when you taste a little bit, but when you overdo it, they overpower the dish. And then there´s the next level: Chinese 5-spice powder, MSG, Shrimp paste, sriracha, wasabi and so on. I´ve bought lots of stuff from the wonderful Chinese/Oriental market here in Caracas, just to experiment; sometimes the experiments got way out of hand.
So my suggestion is to take it little by little, until you´re satisfied with the flavour. That´s it .

Postby halfateabag » Fri May 15, 2020 11:45 pm

Thanks Kool, very helpful advice. :clap

Well we shared half an aubergine as per the recipe and 'he' declared it delicious and 'can we have that again'.....I did not use up all the mix using miso in the recipe so may add some vinegar and make a salad dressing to go with leaves for tomorrow. I can now see why it would and could be added to stews etc. I think I am going to have some fun experimenting with it in the future.

Sue I did half cook the aubergine with the miso/honey dressing on it and it did seep into the criss crossed A. It flavoured and softened it very well. I also think if you mashed it up, it would make a nicely flavoured dip as well.

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat May 16, 2020 2:50 am

I think the important question to ask onesself when cooking is, what is the main ingredient:
" Am I cooking (for example) pork chops in miso sauce - or does this just taste of miso?"

Postby ZeroCook » Sat May 16, 2020 7:04 am

Ive had a big bag of dark miso in the fridge for years and it's still fine. I clipped off a corner so that I can squeeze out what I need, then squeeze out the air from the bag, roll up the corner, secure with an elastic band and pop back into the plastic zip bag it lives in. Miso is fermented and has a very high salt content which is the preserving agent and it keeps almost indefinitely. It's like marmite in that respect - too high a salt level to go off. Good eaten as you would marmite as well!

Postby Renee » Sat May 16, 2020 9:18 am

I'll join in here! :lol: :lol:

I also have miso in my fridge, both white and a darker one, also a couple of unopened jars in the cupboard. I love the white miso, especially with salmon, but must confess that I haven't used either for quite some time.

I bought an excellent book from Booths supermarket some time ago and really must start reading it now that I have plenty of time. I've just checked and it is available on Amazon. It is a really interesting read:

Miso Tasty by Bonnie Chung:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Miso-Tasty-Eve ... 1910904619

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun May 17, 2020 9:48 am

Sorry, it's the Guardian again but I thought of this thread this morning. If you scroll down there's a recipe for some toffee rice krispie cakes with white miso. It would take them to a slightly different level I think.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/m ... ianTodayUK

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox