Register

Ten rules

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Ten rules

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu May 14, 2020 8:47 am

Re: Ten rules

Postby Renee » Thu May 14, 2020 9:05 am

Thank you for the very interesting article Pepper Pig!

Postby cherrytree » Thu May 14, 2020 10:19 am

I love the Guardian I really do and I love Felicity Cloake because her recipes work and they are so thoroughly researched. However I’m becoming increasingly depressed at the almost daily output of cookery stuff. The freezing one yesterday, tips almost entirely from chefs who operate almost on entirely different conditions from a domestic kitchen. Yes freezers are vital but some straight but possibly dull tips from a home economist might have been more useful
Today it’s ‘ Dinner will be ready in ten minutes. I know I have a very low opinion of the compiler of the column but even by her standards it’s uninspiring and pretty unachievable for most people . And on her previous record mostly from Hackney. (Sorry to be so horrible to Hackney dwellers, but her horizons are very limited). There, I’ve got that off my chest and I’ll try and be cheery for the rest of the day.

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu May 14, 2020 10:20 am

Yes, it is interesting. I have never really learned about freezing meat and didn't know it wasn't recommended for some cuts (cuts which are never likely to get to my freezer anyway!).

I would like room for a larger freezer , so that I too could arrange everything neatly, rather than fitting things in every available nook or cranny according to shape and size.

Edited to say :lol: Cherrytree. Much of it is just entertainment value I think!

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu May 14, 2020 10:59 am

cherrytree wrote:I love the Guardian I really do and I love Felicity Cloake because her recipes work and they are so thoroughly researched. However I’m becoming increasingly depressed at the almost daily output of cookery stuff. The freezing one yesterday, tips almost entirely from chefs who operate almost on entirely different conditions from a domestic kitchen. Yes freezers are vital but some straight but possibly dull tips from a home economist might have been more useful
Today it’s ‘ Dinner will be ready in ten minutes. I know I have a very low opinion of the compiler of the column but even by her standards it’s uninspiring and pretty unachievable for most people . And on her previous record mostly from Hackney. (Sorry to be so horrible to Hackney dwellers, but her horizons are very limited). There, I’ve got that off my chest and I’ll try and be cheery for the rest of the day.

The thing is FC does systematically test her recipes in a kitchen somewhat smaller than mine, so they are known to work even if you don’t like them or disagree with the details, as do some of the others

But some of the 10 lockdown food things they have posted, raiding the archives for suitable recipes to link to, have been pretty meh. There was a ten best store cupboard recipes list that included a recipe (I think a Romy Gill one, but not her fault) that required FIVE fresh veg, two of which were out of season. And some pulses so “store cupboard”. Doh.

This appears to be an entirely new article by someone called Tony Naylor, who I don’t “know”. He appears unaware that people freeze anything other than raw ingredients straight from the supplier - no mention of baked goods or home cooked dishes, as you say totally focused on what chefs do, he’d have done better to get a copy of Mary Norwak in places

Postby Seatallan » Thu May 14, 2020 2:51 pm

cherrytree wrote:I love the Guardian I really do and I love Felicity Cloake because her recipes work and they are so thoroughly researched. However I’m becoming increasingly depressed at the almost daily output of cookery stuff. The freezing one yesterday, tips almost entirely from chefs who operate almost on entirely different conditions from a domestic kitchen. Yes freezers are vital but some straight but possibly dull tips from a home economist might have been more useful

I quite agree Cherrytree! Much as I like the Guardian in general, their penchant for believing the world ends the other side of the M25 can be infuriating. :D
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby northleedsbhoy » Thu May 14, 2020 3:30 pm

Shivi Ramoutar has given good advice about freezing and cooking from frozen on both Saturday Kitchen and the daily programme that was on a couple of weeks ago.

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Postby Pampy » Thu May 14, 2020 3:36 pm

And I find that really strange as the Guardian :lol: :lol: started life as the Manchester Guardian!

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox