Register

Favourite supermarkets

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Favourite supermarkets

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Wed May 13, 2020 10:02 pm

I don’t really have a favourite. We get different things from specific places.

Nappies, wipes, prosecco and some fruit and veg from Aldi.
An online order once or twice a month for a big all round shop from Tesco, Sainsbury’s or Ocado. If one of them annoys me for any reason I bump them off for a different one for a while.
M&S for treats if I’m passing.
Abel and Cole twice a month for bread, cheese, meat box, veg box and whatever looks good.
Naked wines for wine (obvs)
Butchers and fishmongers as and when
The Co-op for Sunday papers and milk etc top ups

I do love Booths though, it makes me feel very happy when I go in :D Ours is about 20 minutes drive away though so we don’t go that often.

Postby herbidacious » Thu May 14, 2020 12:51 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:Yes, when coming home from the British Museum I walk through the Bloomsbury Waitrose and get the bus outside the British Library

I was in halls in Cartwright Gardens for two years.

Postby Amyw » Thu May 14, 2020 3:02 pm

I feel like I’m missing out on Booths now ! Is it an exclusively Northern branch then as never heard of it ( live in Devon). In “normal” times , I use our local greengrocers a lot , then https://www.dartsfarm.co.uk/ which is just amazing .

Postby Pampy » Thu May 14, 2020 3:25 pm

Yes, it's mainly Lancashire. It's a really nice place to shop (imho).
Here's a bit of info. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Booths

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu May 14, 2020 3:39 pm

My pipedream is to sell my house and retire to the seaside in the next year or so, although it will probably never happen, however I am so impressed with Lidl since they arrived here that I've been checking out places with a Lidl nearby!

Clearly they don't do everything, but for all the basics they are the business, usually better quality than Tesco, and up to half the price.

Case in question: Tesco Brie de Meaux is £2.75, and always comes with a nasty chalky unripe bit in the middle, which never seems to properly ripen. Conversely, I've been feasting on Lidl Brie de Meaux this week, perfectly ripened from the outset, just £1.18.

Lidl also have restocking off to a fine art, so it is rare that they are out of stock of anything, where Aldi and Tesco often have gaps in the shelves (pre-virus of course, although they've still been impressive).

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu May 14, 2020 3:46 pm

Lidl Brie de Meaux is fabulous - as are many of their cheeses

Their Floralys 3-ply kitchen paper towels are the best bar one imo, and cheap

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu May 14, 2020 4:16 pm

Well this is totally irrelevant, because I haven´t lived in the UK for ages and have only once been into a Lidl or an Aldi - bruv does all his shopping in Sainsbury´s. But I thought it might be interesting anyway.
Last year in Cincinnati, my son & DIL took me to the recently opened, super-posh Kroger´s supermarket; about a 15 minute drive away. The meat and Fish counters were awesome - but then meat consumption over there is unbelievable. Tomahawk steaks of about 2 - 3 kgs, a phenomenal selection of fresh fish and seafood (which I love) to die for. Fresh scallops, mussels, clams, lobster (several varieties) and a choice of fresh oysters.
A beautiful selection of fresh vegetables, including about 6-7 varieties of tomato, all manner of salad greens (including some pre-packed selections of micro-greens, etc) , seasonal fruit, wow. I could have spent a fortune.
Two aisles dedicated to imported foods; what most impressed was the Mexican section, with authentic Mexican ingredients, including blue corn Masa Harina, huitlacoche, etc. and the South East Asian section: loads of Thai, vietnamese and Korean ingredients, as well as the classic Japanese and Chinese stuff.
But here´s the best part (s). A wine and craft beer bar, with special tastings every 4 hours at the weekends. Right next door, a selection of American and European cheeses like I´d never seen. I bought some reblochon which lasted about 10 minutes once we got home; some Bleu d´Auvergne and a Wisconsin cheddar. Right next door there was a "gourmet" restaurant section. Yes, burgers, but some interesting variations using ostrich meat, venison, etc. A Sushi bar with sushi prepared in front of you. A Vietnamese Bao Bun stand. Whoopee. What an experience!
The odd thing, for me, is the Cincinnati is not a HUGE city - fewer than 900,000 inhabitants - and this was just one of many, many supermarkets in the area.
A frightening contrast to Sainsbugs in Maidstone! :gonzo

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu May 14, 2020 4:42 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:When we move, it's now looking possible, our new house to be is actually next to a Co-op. I've never had that before, and am rather looking forward to it.
The local Co-op has been excellent. I'm a convert there too, luckily, since we are due to be future neighbours.

Good luck with the move, Gill! Where are you moving to?

We have metro/local versions of Tesco, Sainsbugs and Waitrose at the end of the road. We tend to use the Tesco most, as even with the 10-12% mark-up for the local stores it's often still less expensive than the other two, except where it only does branded products as compared with own-brand.
When we were going out to shop we often did a Waitrose on Sundays so we got the Observer for free! But all has changed now, obviously.
Pre-Covid we'd do a big Tesco at Brook Green from time to time, interspersed with the Sunday Waitrose visits. When Waitrose were giving you a 20% discount on certain, chosen items we stocked up on Woolite, and are only now on our final pack!

By default I'm using Tesco now for their priority delivery slots. Sainsbury's appears to charge more for deliveries and priority slots and I think on balance, Tesco works out cheaper overall anyway.

Under normal circumstances I really love going to Lidl from time to time. I far prefer it to Aldi. Unfortunately the branches are either not terribly close or convenient (no parking) so I tend to combine it with visiting a friend near a decent big one with parking and we go together.
I always get their EVOO, quinoa, dried tomatoes, risotto rice and various cheeses. We used to get their gorgonzola but a couple of batches really tasted vile so we've stopped getting that now.
We were supposed to be getting a Lidl here in the Hammersmith King Street Mall later in the year - but I have no idea if that is still going ahead, and if I'm under lockdown for heaven knows how long, I won't be able to go there anyway!

Postby cherrytree » Thu May 14, 2020 8:49 pm

Booths started in Preston I think. Yes it’s mainly Lancashire, Cumbria and also North Yorkshire. It is very interesting and has huge loyalty to, local producers so you can get local strawberries, asparagus, their famous ‘dug this morning’ new potatoes, wonderful Lancashire cheese, beautiful Scillian lemons displayed in a basket etc. Their wines are superb. I don’t think the staff are as punctilious as Waitrose, and I do miss the in store coffee grinder!

Postby northleedsbhoy » Fri May 15, 2020 12:15 am

Friends live in a village where there are a couple of convenience type stores and a small Co-Op. The village is one of the most friendly places I’ve been to and it’s reflected in all the shops. There is not a fantastic selection in the Co-Op but the staff are friendly and it’s generally well stocked, it also has the only cash machine in the village.

When I dog sit for them I use the Co-Op for virtually everything food wise and I’ve always found the quality to be decent and prices on a par with Sainsbury’s.

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox