Register

Favourite supermarkets

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Favourite supermarkets

Postby Amyw » Tue May 12, 2020 10:52 pm

After finishing work this morning , I walked to the local co -op as they include a post office and I can pay money into my bank account there rather than go into town to the bank . I picked up a few bits of shopping while I was there . When I got to the till , they saw my work Id badge and gave me 10 per cent off my shopping as a key worker . Normally I don’t like using the co op . I think their fruit and veg is a bit meh , it’s expensive for what it is and none of their own products jump out at me . However this small gesture means I will use them more regularly now .

What supermarkets do others prefer/dislike ? I tend to like the extremes of either end price wise . I love Lidl’s especially when they do their country of the week offers . Really well priced cheese , fish and fresh produce . I love M&S though . Like a lot of their own produce and their bread is very good too

Re: Favourite supermarkets

Postby Suelle » Tue May 12, 2020 11:24 pm

I usually shop in Aldi for a lot of my basics, but at the moment it feels too crowded there - social distancing isn't easy.

The things I can't get in Aldi were either bought in Sainsbury's or Waitrose, depending on what else I was doing during the week. I used to go out every day, and usually bought a few things each time to reduce what I had to carry home.

Now, with trying to limit shopping to twice a week, and with no other distraction to influence my shopping trips (such as looking in the charity shops, or going to the Library) I do one shop in Sainsbury's at the beginning of the week, and one in Waitrose before the weekend. I try to get the basics at Sainsbury's, especially on their own brand foods, which I know are cheaper than Waitrose, but if it's a branded item I need, I'll probably leave it for the Waitrose shop, to spread the load.
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby WWordsworth » Wed May 13, 2020 12:00 am

Booths every time, being a native of the north west of England.
However since Mum passed away I'm not up that way very often.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed May 13, 2020 12:22 am

At the moment the choice is Morrison’s or Morrison’s, it’s 5 minutes walk away. I can walk further to a Sainsbury’s or an Asda but they are both quite a bit smaller so not much point, I’d occasionally go to the Sainsbury’s for specific products or offers, but though the big Asda I used occasionally to visit on the way home from work was good the little one is rubbish

When not in lockdown I quite often walk to a big Sainsbury’s in Hackney and bus back, or to the one in Islington - it’s amazing how much more up-market the Islington one is - not sure if that’s amusing or offensive.

I would probably use Waitrose if it were handy, there’s one in Islington which is too small and caters mainly to people popping in from work, it’s cluttered up with sushi stands etc. There’s a good one in north Islington aka Holloway that at one time was their biggest store and I used it a lot when I drove

Also a massive M&S Food Hall in Islington, but I think I’ve made my feelings about that clear

I like Aldi and Lidl, can’t easily get to Aldi, use Lidl for a change when not in lockdown and stock up on things like Parmesan and other bits

Never really taken to Tesco, went into Hackney Coop the other day, oh dear, pathetic and depressing. Which surprised me as the local Sainsbury’s used to be a Coop and I liked it

I do use smaller local shops a lot.

Postby Pampy » Wed May 13, 2020 12:27 am

Booths for me too, even though the nearest store is about 10 miles away. I've always liked Ocado for the range and quality that they offer but have rather fallen out with them at the moment because even though I have (had - I've just cancelled it) a Smart Pass, I've not been able to get a delivery slot since the lockdown started. I do use Lidl and Aldi for a lot of day-to-day shopping. I heartily dislike Tesco and Asda but do still find myself shoping there at times.

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed May 13, 2020 1:55 am

I'll shop where its convenient. My supermarkets of choice though are Sainsburys, Waitrose and Lidl.

I don't 'get" Aldi, they never have much that I'm looking for. I actively avoid Tesco and Asda here, but not necessarily everywhere. Morrisons down the road closed and the others are on the other side of town and not very well managed anyway. My nearest is the Coop, not a bad shop but they allow homeless people to sit in the doorway. Whilst I am happy to support help for the homeless and the Coop is known to support people in need,I don't feel that having to climb over a man and his dog to get into a shop is an ideal way to attract customers.

If I had to stick to just one it would be Sainsburys.

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed May 13, 2020 7:05 am

I used to be a Waitrose shopper, it's on the way back home for me, and their cycling rack is at the front door.
But I've been put off by their stroppy borderline rude staffing recently.

Tesco, has lost profit gains during lockdown due to the expenses they've had providing an excellent social distancing parking and shop scheme.
But has won a lot of goodwill. Water for people in the queue, chirpy greeting staff at the door. Fabulous aisle management and filling up.
I'm a convert, and will travel that extra 5mins from now on to Tesco.

When we move, it's now looking possible, our new house to be is actually next to a Co-op. I've never had that before, and am rather looking forward to it.
The local Co-op has been excellent. I'm a convert there too, luckily, since we are due to be future neighbours.

Goodwill goes a long way, as you say Amy.

Postby Busybee » Wed May 13, 2020 8:51 am

Tesco, purely because it’s the nearest at ten miles away. During lockdown we have been able to get either a click and collect or home delivery every week, I do wonder if they have also tried to prioritise people out in the sticks with no village community etc? That, or I’ve just been very, very lucky.

If I’m going into York for something, them Waitrose - but it’s really the wrong side of town for me. Likewise if we are going to Ripon then it’s Booths.

We do have a small co-op four miles away but it’s badly run, with little stock or staffing. We are actively avoiding due to lack of social distancing.

We use the local butcher for all meat etc and the weekly market for bread, biscuits etc and fruit veg top ups if needed. Eggs from the farm gate.

I think post lockdown I will keep the Tesco delivery for all the heavy stuff, probably every few weeks as I’ve found it very convenient.

BB

Postby northleedsbhoy » Wed May 13, 2020 9:02 am

Sainsbury’s for me. I like the range they sell in my local one and it’s convenient as it’s only a 10 minute walk and I don’t drive. If I have to go to town then I’ll pop into M&S or if I go to the little shopping parade the it’ll be Waitrose.

Obviously the latter two are out at the moment because it would be an unnecessary journey but as I said I like Sainsbury’s and it’s convenient.

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed May 13, 2020 9:35 am

Why don't you drive, NLB? Just curious.
My husband is getting more like that, voluntarily so, he likes being a passenger, & I'm the main driver. Which is fine by me.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed May 13, 2020 10:00 am

The thing that seems to me to be coming out is that local branch management is as important as the actual brand

Postby northleedsbhoy » Wed May 13, 2020 10:06 am

Gillthepainter wrote:Why don't you drive, NLB? Just curious.
My husband is getting more like that, voluntarily so, he likes being a passenger, & I'm the main driver. Which is fine by me.

Driving didn’t really appeal to me although I have taken lessons but failed my test a couple of times, both mainly on reversing around a corner. I actually do prefer bus and train but admit there have been a few times that I’ve wished I had a car.

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed May 13, 2020 10:09 am

Ah, I understand, NLB.

Talking of brands, Sue, I do like Tesco's own brands in general too. I'm happy to buy their value stuff.
Morrison's too.

Postby smitch » Wed May 13, 2020 10:40 am

Generally, I prefer Ocado. I struggled to get a slot at first but now don’t have a problem. I had an email at the start of the week saying I can now order weekly; it had been restricted to fortnightly.

Otherwise we either use Tesco or Sainsburys, in normal times it would be on our way home from work. The Sainsburys isn’t great and has a poor selection of veggie stuff. Tesco varies depending on which one we use. We avoid the nearest one as it is tiny and the roads nearby are narrow and twisty with loads of parked cars on both sides.

I hate Asda, our nearest one is dark and dingy. The one we pass on our way home is massive and I can’t find anything there.

We have a Coop in our small town but it is up a very steep hill. I’ve used it more since lockdown to get lettuce for the guinea pigs. There is also an excellent wholegoods shop a few doors down from Coop, where I’ve been able to buy flour, tofu, dried fruit and they also have a great beer selection :lol:

Postby Lokelani » Wed May 13, 2020 11:46 am

A lot of it depends on how large or nice your local branch of each is I guess.

Our nearest Waitrose is tiny, but I like going occasionally to see what they have. The problem is people stopping to chat block the aisles as it is so small!

Love a big M&S food hall, but don't go that often due to distance. I've been in Lidl & Aldi's when on holiday self catering, just for a look, but we don't have any near enough to use regularly. Same with Booths, really lovely when on holiday in a cottage. No Asda near enough, nor Morrisons.

Ocado for online. I used to love Sainsburys but got fed up with all the substitutions. Now we're just glad of any food that gets delivered from anywhere!

Wonder if Ocado will still go ahead with the change to M&S later this year. I guess it might be too late to stop it if the wheels are in motion. The last thing any of them, or their customers need is more disruption though.

Postby Wic » Wed May 13, 2020 3:50 pm

I think I am a Sainsbury’s type at heart. Our nearest is not far away and is much the best one to use at the moment, nice wide aisles and a big, airy shop.

Marginally closer, and in town, so convenient if you need to go there, we have a Morrisons and, across the road from it, an Aldi. I always feel that Morrisons, whilst OK, is a slightly amateur enterprise, they run out of things quite often, and this particular shop is a bit cramped, with poor lighting, so not my favourite. Nice people though, and they are very helpful to local charities.

Aldi is also OK, but you have to be lucky and you need to look carefully. Things sometimes look inexpensive, but they can actually be in smaller packs than you are used to getting. Here, their milk and dairy stuff is always a much longer date than Morrison’s, so that’s what I always go there for.

In two different towns, both about 10 miles away, so I don’t visit often, we have a Lidl and a Waitrose. Lidl is good fun, I always come away with more than I went for, but I’m generally pleased with what I’ve got. I love Waitrose, they have such different things in stock, but I’m glad it’s not my local, they are expensive, whatever they say.

I haven’t been into an Asda for years. When I had to use one I always came out annoyed and with my blood pressure raised to dangerous levels!

Postby herbidacious » Wed May 13, 2020 4:10 pm

For some reason Sainsbury's has had my loyalty for the past 30 or so years. Not sure why. (And our local one has really gone down hill recently. Empty shelves sometimes even before all this, and on a couple of occasions boxes of stuff just emptied upside down on shelves and left there like that for weeks.) I think one opened near my parents just after I left home, but I still perhaps associated it with home in the early days. As an undergraduate, I used to make occasional expeditions to the one on Green Lanes from where I lived in Upper Holloway, after I discovering that it was there stops by what felt like the weird over ground train. Would come back laden with too much to carry. (Before I discovered it, I useddo the same with the Camden one, coming home by bus.) My local supermarket then was Safeway, which I quite miss.

I have never routinely shopped in Waitrose (I still think it's more expensive) but go the the Beckenham one and to the M&S Food Hall (massive on in Bromley, smaller in Beckenham) for every now and again as a 'treat'. Waitrose is very good for veggie/vegan junk food (sausages and the like) and posh treats and ingredients you can't get elsewhere easily.

I only use Tesco metro as it's in between the station and the office. I don't rate it's produce at all.
The nearest Asda is in Clapham and it's shopping hell. Lights too bright, music on/too loud, and it's on two floors.
Iceland is terrible.
I sometimes go to Morrisons near my mum. I have grave doubts re quality.

I used to really appreciate our local Co-Op when had one. (Good bread.) It was replaced by Budgens (which I also used to like when I used it in Crouch End) but they ran the branch into closure with the rudest staff I have ever encountered, and shelves stacked so sparsely you would think it was Cuba/post-Brexit/prelockdown panic buying/stockpiling times. The shop has been vacant for about three years now.

I don't drive either... bit of a nuisance when OH was working in Germany.
Last edited by herbidacious on Wed May 13, 2020 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed May 13, 2020 4:20 pm

Budget is a franchise - the Crouch End one is generally considered an outstanding example

I remember the Holloway Safeway (now a British Heart Foundation shop), our Morrison’s was a Safeway when built

Not a full supermarket but I do use my local Iceland too

Postby herbidacious » Wed May 13, 2020 4:36 pm

My first introduction to Safeway was the Brunswick Centre. Safeway used to do really nice mandarin juice. I think I could still find my way around that shop, if it still existed in the same format. (Waitrose now, I think.)

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed May 13, 2020 4:39 pm

Yes, when coming home from the British Museum I walk through the Bloomsbury Waitrose and get the bus outside the British Library

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox