Register

What do you put in spag bol?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What do you put in spag bol?

Postby cherrytree » Wed May 13, 2020 5:16 pm

It makes it even richer. In my recipe which I think uses about 500 ml it is cooked until it has disappeared.

Postby Lokelani » Wed May 13, 2020 7:26 pm

liketocook wrote:I seldom make a quick version preferring instead to make a vat of ragu then freeze the surplus.
I picked up the milk tip from the "Good Food" show on the BBC back in the 1990s and have used it ever since.
While proportions will vary my basic is:
Onion/celery/carrot
Garlic
Wine glass of milk
Wine glass of red wine or vermouth
Mince (usually a mix of pork & beef but sometimes just beef) or brown/green lentils for a veggie version
Passatta or blitzed plum tomatoes
Oregano
Thyme
Good pinch of sugar
Splosh of mushroom ketchup
Tomato puree
Salt & pepper

I've tried & failed to buy mushroom ketchup for ages. All I got were blank stares in every shop I asked & it's not easy to find online either. It's good to hear someone else mention it, if it hadn't been for pictures of it I can see online I'd have wondered if I'd imagined it ever existing! :lol:
Edit to add recipe, I might have to make it myself.
https://www.leparfait.com/recipe/mushro ... 502#page/1

Postby halfateabag » Wed May 13, 2020 8:00 pm

I follow the same rules that most of you all use. Someone I used to know would add cream which did make it a whole lot richer. They added about a quarter of a pint of single cream.

I used to add a tad of vinegar and a spoonful of sugar...

Postby Amyw » Wed May 13, 2020 9:10 pm

This is the Nigel Slater recipe I’ve Used https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc. ... _89200/amp.

I think of a spag bol as more of a mix of different things whereas a ragu is simpler and cooked for much longer

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed May 13, 2020 10:52 pm

I don't do this, but there's also the method in the Guardian article many of us looked at recently, where you make up a basic stewed mince and tweak it to make spaghetti sauce a few days later

That's definitely spag bol and not ragu

Postby Seatallan » Thu May 14, 2020 2:20 pm

I usually include chopped chicken livers in mine. Just gives more of a depth of flavour. And finely chopped celery always.

When making a Spag Bol rather than a Ragu (I include the above in both) I sometimes use turkey mince instead of minced beef.
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby DEB » Thu May 14, 2020 4:13 pm

While I an not veggie I tend to make my Spag bog with puy type lentil rather than meat. When used in a Lasagne most peoplecan not tell the difference, I prefere it since it has less fat.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu May 14, 2020 4:31 pm

The last ragu I made (although for lasagne not spag bol), I used the chicken livers that the particular recipe called for, but I'm afraid I didn't like the texture so won't be using them again!

Always sneak some carrot and celery in with the onion pre-fry even if the recipe doesn't call for it.

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri May 15, 2020 2:52 am

I´ll run with the pack on this one.
Spag Bol is a British thing and I tend to chuck in what ever I´ve got on hand, but usually it´s a basic onion/garlic fry, in olive oil, minced beef and a tin of tomatoes. Fresh herbs (rosemary, oregano, basil) simply because they´re in the kitchen garden.
As long as it tastes good!

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox