Register

Breadmaker loaf worry

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Breadmaker loaf worry

Postby cherrytree » Mon May 11, 2020 6:56 pm

What am I doing wrong? About 9 months ago I got a beautiful new Panasonic breadmaker. Everything went well but the last five or so loaves have not been good at all- they taste ok but they resemble a moonscape on a very bad day- today’s had a large dip on one side.
I make a whole meal loaf and because I am very nerdy about such things, I weigh everything to the last gramme. Because of The Crisis I bought Sainsbury’s wholemeal bread flour instead of Carr’s. (I like Carr’s because I have a fond illusion that because it is milled just up the road, then the local gorgeous water suits it best. )
I’ve blamed the Sainsbury’s flour but this morning’s loaf made with Carrs was a disgrace. As I say I did everything absolutely accurately. Can anyone suggest what it could be?

Re: Breadmaker loaf worry

Postby PatsyMFagan » Mon May 11, 2020 8:54 pm

Have you tried using the dough function and finishing it off yourself ? I normally do that as I don't like the shape my bread maker makes :thumbsdown. I also don't use 100% wholemeal, always about 75% / 25% white ...

Postby Mrs Vee » Mon May 11, 2020 10:49 pm

I went through a period last year where my much-loved Panasonic just wouldn’t turn out a decent loaf. I always use a mix of three flours from Waitrose – wholemeal, white and malted and, like you, I weigh everything very carefully. I bought different flours, different yeast and tried different programmes. Still rubbish!
In desperation I tried adding about 15ml extra water and it did the trick. Ever since then I’ve used extra water and never had the problem again.

Postby Badger's Mate » Mon May 11, 2020 10:58 pm

Hi

Has anything else changed? Was there a break between the good loaves and the five bad ones? Has the yeast changed? If not, maybe try with some new yeast (OK I realise that might not be easy). Does it rise OK?

My loaves sometime have the odd hole in them or I cock up the water quantity and it doesn't quite rise right.

Postby WWordsworth » Mon May 11, 2020 11:24 pm

I use the dough function, with 2 parts wholemeal flour to 1 part white.
I add whatever seeds I fancy then when the programme finishes I knock the dough back and tip it into a 2lb loaf tin to rise.

33 mins at 175deg fan.

I have done it this way for years.
The only times it has failed was when I had a bad batch of yeast, or in the winter when I have to move the machine from the unheated utility room to the kitchen.

I also prefer Carr's flour, I find own label stuff doesn't rise as well.

Postby Pampy » Tue May 12, 2020 12:51 am

I have had Panasonics since the early 2000s and generally don't have any trouble. What you're describing (uneven height) is usually down to there not being enough water. The strength of the flour affects how much water is needed, which is something that the ingredients list can't cater for. Canadian wheat is usually very strong, British less so but it varies from harvest to harvest.

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue May 12, 2020 8:27 am

Take the paddle off too. And make sure nothing has crusted.
My panasonic stopped turning the paddle eventually, and I never replaced it. (as I then got into sourdough)

You're not wrong with Carrs either.
I always recommend it, and yes, the secret is in the milling process. Years ago too, when a lot of people were asking if it makes a difference what flour you use, I baked up 3 batches: Hovis vs Carrs vs Allisons

Postby Pampy » Tue May 12, 2020 1:30 pm

I take the paddle out every time when I wash the pan after making a loaf. My Panasonic has 2 paddles - the usual one and one for making rye bread.

Postby mistakened » Tue May 12, 2020 1:42 pm

I also use a Panasonic bread maker, I use a mixture of local Village Flour, it has a high gluten content and Whole meal flour. I have found that an extra 15mls of water helps the final loaf. I do have to replace the dried yeast before its sell by date, it seems to stale and not function properly.

Moira

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue May 12, 2020 2:55 pm

Our Panasonic has been going strong for years, it must be somewhere between 17 and 20 now. It has made the occasional duff loaf, but that has never been the machine's fault.

Postby Pampy » Tue May 12, 2020 3:00 pm

Badger's Mate wrote:Our Panasonic has been going strong for years, it must be somewhere between 17 and 20 now. It has made the occasional duff loaf, but that has never been the machine's fault.

My first one was about 17 years old when I replaced it - the only things wrong with it was that the non-stick coating on the pan had started to wear off, probably due to making a lot of bread with grains in the flour. A replacement pan cost about £60 and as I could get the latest breadmaker for about £110 (on offer on Amazon) it seemed like a good idea to get a new one.

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue May 12, 2020 3:13 pm

I would unhesitatingly buy the latest model if anything happened to ours. There's a bit of wear to the pan for much the same reason. I use a Joseph Joseph flexible turner to hoick the loaves out. I broke one last month, luckily have got a spare, they don't seem to make them any more.

Postby Seatallan » Tue May 12, 2020 3:23 pm

cherrytree wrote:What am I doing wrong? About 9 months ago I got a beautiful new Panasonic breadmaker. Everything went well but the last five or so loaves have not been good at all- they taste ok but they resemble a moonscape on a very bad day- today’s had a large dip on one side.
I make a whole meal loaf and because I am very nerdy about such things, I weigh everything to the last gramme. Because of The Crisis I bought Sainsbury’s wholemeal bread flour instead of Carr’s. (I like Carr’s because I have a fond illusion that because it is milled just up the road, then the local gorgeous water suits it best. )
I’ve blamed the Sainsbury’s flour but this morning’s loaf made with Carrs was a disgrace. As I say I did everything absolutely accurately. Can anyone suggest what it could be?

If it is any consolation cherrytree, our breadmaker went through a similar phase. We've no idea why- we thought of all sorts of possible explanations- but whatever it was, it then reverted to being fine again. Hope yours does too.

By the way- I love Carr's flour! Always get it from Cranston's when they have it in stock. :thumbsup
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby cherrytree » Tue May 12, 2020 5:34 pm

Thank you, all of you.I still have an unopened tin of Allinsons yeast that I bought just before The Crisis. I will give that a go. I’ll check the paddle and use a small amount of extra water
I love Carr’s flour. I get mine from Tony Harrison my butcher in Cockermouth. He buys large sacks of all the different flours and sells it in smaller quantities. Our water comes from Overwater. Back o’ Skiddaw.
Carr’s biscuit factory in Carlisle is now McVities. It adjoins the big Sainsbury’s There is something very nice about getting out of the car and sniffing the air. Will it be ginger biscuits or bourbons today? Quite lovely.

Postby WWordsworth » Tue May 12, 2020 6:30 pm

Hmmm

Some years ago I lived behind the Golden Wonder factory.
My washing acquired different aromas depending on what flavour was in production.

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed May 13, 2020 10:24 pm

Evening all
Please could one of you expert bread bakers out there give me some advice for a friend? She has been given a kg of Paul's French flour and some fresh yeast. It'll be the first time she's made bread although she's a very experienced cook otherwise and I promised I'd ask on here for a t & t recipe you'd recommend - not too complicated, please!

Many thanks :thumbsup

Postby aero280 » Thu May 14, 2020 1:04 am

I started with Dan Lepard and his "no knead" bread. It's not quite that, but pretty easy.

If you have fresh yeast, the rule of thumb is that 15g of fresh = one 7g sachet of dried yeast.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... -own-bread

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu May 14, 2020 12:25 pm

aero280 wrote:I started with Dan Lepard and his "no knead" bread. It's not quite that, but pretty easy.

If you have fresh yeast, the rule of thumb is that 15g of fresh = one 7g sachet of dried yeast.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... -own-bread

Thanks aero, I will pass it on. :thumbsup

Edited to say presumably she just mixes the fresh yeast with some of the warm water?

Postby dennispc » Thu May 14, 2020 4:50 pm

As a new baker I'd suggest your friend should use the water for their first time. However, I crumble fresh yeast with the flour.

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu May 14, 2020 5:42 pm

dennispc wrote:As a new baker I'd suggest your friend should use the water for their first time. However, I crumble fresh yeast with the flour.

Great, will tell her that, thx :thumbsup

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox