Register

Foodie Hell

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Foodie Hell

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Wed May 13, 2020 7:08 am

Amyw wrote:
strictlysalsaclare wrote:My foodie hell things are

Anything with coconut in - even milk or oil because i can't bear the smell either.
Celery
coriander leaf unless there is a little in some Mexican dishes (don't ask :oops: !)
parsley, tarragon and dishes containing them
sickly sweet puddings/baked goods/sauces
white chocolate
Creme Eggs
any foods with a floral flavouring - doesn't matter whether it's rose, parma voilets or lavender
offal such as liver or kidney unless it's in haggis, faggots or pate

It feels like we've gone back into the 'what do you dislike that everyone else loves' territory here, or am I missing the point?

I took it to mean branded products rather than ingredients which we covered a while back . I hate ye olde oak tinned ham with that layer of fat round the side , same with spam

Thanks for clarifying Amyw!

I will change my list to the following:

Creme Eggs
Any branded chocolate with cocnut in
Percy Pigs
Haribos
Most Mr Kipling cakes
Supernoodles
Milky bars

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed May 13, 2020 9:41 am

Foodie disappointments certainly for me, not exactly hell.
I've recently seen American brand sweets in the shops (Tescos and Wholefoods), such as Hershey bars, or a Butterfinger bar.
Sickly.

They've put me off trying anything else of that ilk, simply out of curiosity.

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed May 13, 2020 9:50 am

I was, for the second time, given a box of gingerbread flavoured Matchmakers yesterday. This time they won't be opened!

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed May 13, 2020 9:53 am

This is a local store, Hollywood Candy - why? :? It used to be an ordinary newsagent , tobacconist, sweetie shop, and till is at the back
5F4D1DC8-9D3D-4F6A-BF6C-DA03FE021AEA.jpeg
5F4D1DC8-9D3D-4F6A-BF6C-DA03FE021AEA.jpeg (29.36 KiB) Viewed 5061 times

They have lots of American sweets. I do like the very sour jelly beans, and the very occasional Reeses’s peanut butter cup which is in the category so bad it’s good

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed May 13, 2020 10:18 am

Reeses are nice.
I've got a recipe for them that never fails to impress.

Not sure about gingerbread flavoured anything, Earthy. I couldn't drink that flavoured tea when I bought it.

Actually, my foodie hell list would be rather long of flavoured teas I've tried and not liked one bit.

Postby smitch » Wed May 13, 2020 10:45 am

I love Percy Pigs. Got a bag on my work desk (the dining table) at the moment. I tend to have a few when I hit the mid afternoon slump.

I also quite like Butterfingers, although they are very sweet. Love peanut butter cups, peanut butter is one of my favourite foods.

My omni OH loves the Quorn southern fried bites, a bit bigger than chicken nugget sized. The chicken burgers are pretty good too. I don’t like the sausages, slices or pieces though.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Wed May 13, 2020 10:50 am

Badger's Mate wrote:
I have to wrangle with my conscience as I think they are endangered now

They've always been endangered anywhere near me :D

My eel consumption has dropped markedly for the same reason.

PP - The first time I took Mrs B into a pie & mash shop I was somewhat concerned how it would go. To my delight she loved pie, mash & liquor. I know better than to push my luck by suggesting she tries the stewed eels.

You can take me next time Stan ;) :thumbsup

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed May 13, 2020 10:54 am

Earthmaiden wrote:Matchmakers ... This time they won't be opened!

I "treated" myself to a pack a while back when they were on special offer, the mint ones. Astonished at how unpleasant they were.

I'm going to have to wean myself off peanut butter now that I find myself spooning it straight from the jar...

Postby Renee » Wed May 13, 2020 11:03 am

I was going to stop buying peanut butter, but it's my comfort food now. :cry:

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed May 13, 2020 11:58 am

Gillthepainter wrote:Reeses are nice.
Actually, my foodie hell list would be rather long of flavoured teas I've tried and not liked one bit.

You've reminded me of those little jars of flavoured instant coffee. You see them for sale in small food outlets that are normally trustworthy. I have been given a couple in the past. I don't mind some instant coffees but this is not only the most undrinkable kind but the added flavouring (rum springs to mind) is so synthetic to almost be funny in its revoltingness.

For a long time, Waitrose sold some sweets in the range which featured various animals which were the same kind of thing as Percy Pigs. They tasted really fruity and delicious. Then, for some reason, they cut a lot of things in that range, including those sweets. I thought that Percy Pigs would be a good substitute but they aren't nearly as nice, very disappointing.

You have to have grown up with it to like Hershey's I think. I find Reeses a bit sickly nowadays. Ordinary peanut butter is the food of the gods :yum.

Postby Amyw » Wed May 13, 2020 12:36 pm

I just had whole foods peanut butter on toast mid morning. Whole Foods nice and crunchy . I love Reeses but they are very sickly so can only have a few .

Postby RockyBVI » Wed May 13, 2020 8:21 pm

The creamed style version of sweetcorn. I can't remember howmany times I have bought it by mistake. Any ideas for uses?

Canned mushrooms are pretty :vomit too!

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed May 13, 2020 8:36 pm

I'm with you on both of those Rocky - and more so tinned creamed mushrooms :thumbsdown. (you a can hide creamed corn in a chowder but can't escape creamed mushrooms!)

Postby Amyw » Wed May 13, 2020 9:11 pm

I’d add the creamed corn and mushrooms to maybe a chicken pie filling or a casserole . A chowders a good shout too

Postby sunflower » Wed May 13, 2020 9:48 pm

RockyBVI wrote:The creamed style version of sweetcorn. I can't remember howmany times I have bought it by mistake. Any ideas for uses?

Canned mushrooms are pretty :vomit too!

Chinese chicken and sweetcorn soup if you like this kind of soup

Postby Linnet » Thu May 14, 2020 11:31 am

RockyBVI wrote:The creamed style version of sweetcorn. I can't remember howmany times I have bought it by mistake. Any ideas for uses?

Sweetcorn fritters - add a beaten egg, plain flour and seasoning. Good with a fry up.

Postby RockyBVI » Thu May 14, 2020 12:22 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I have enough of the stuff I can try them all!

It is so gloopy though that I think it would be a waste of flour to make fritters as I'd have to use so much.

EM - I had no idea there was such a thing as tinned creamed mushrooms. How revolting!

Postby herbidacious » Thu May 14, 2020 12:48 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:Reeses are nice.
I've got a recipe for them that never fails to impress.

Not sure about gingerbread flavoured anything, Earthy. I couldn't drink that flavoured tea when I bought it.

I love Reeses. Are they the most fattening confection ever though?! :o Unlike you, Amy, I am capable of eating a lot in one sitting, unfortunately. It's the salty/sweet thing that makes them so moreish for me.
First had them in the 90s when a friend went to NYC (at a time when getting mugged, there, was de rigeur.)
There are all sorts of variations not sold in shops in the UK that I like. You can get them from Amazon. (Could be a while before I go to the U.S. now. We were to go this year... Might be too expensive after all this.) I have made Nigella's version. I posted a question on the WF site ages ago about making them with flavoured nut butter (I seem to have a collection of Pip and Nut ones. The question was, whether adding sugar is essential to the texture) but never got round to it. I could... but the plan was to take them into the office.

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri May 15, 2020 2:45 am

I don´t care how Reese´s peanut butter cups are made; whether they are bio-degradable; whether they are ecologically viable; whether they employ illegal immigrants to make them; whether they are bad for you health.
I LOVE THEM! And right now, I could eat a bucketful :gonzo :gonzo

There! I´ve said it!!

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox