Register

Eggs - how do you like ´em?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Eggs - how do you like ´em?

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon May 11, 2020 3:53 pm

Yes, I’ve seen peeled quails eggs around - you are supposed to be able to peel them by soaking them in vinegar overnight- I’ve never tried it, but this video is quite convincing
https://youtu.be/xtEDbTHF7Mk

I do like the mini scotch eggs made with them

Postby jeral » Mon May 11, 2020 9:44 pm

Yes, I've posted the "soak in white vinegar overnight" trick to dissolve the egg shell calcium before. The good news is that it works for duck eggs too apparently. Great, because they're highly suitable for making devilled eggs, either the mustard/cayenne or curried sort as wished. Also, duck eggs are supposed to be cooked through I think, although a frittata would achieve that.

Apparently, after boiling, bashing gently the rounded end first, and rolling down from that to tip all round before plunging into cold water helps shells & membrane be peeled off in a spiral from the bashed end. I can't test that as I doubt the eggs I buy are anywhere near farm fresh.

Eggs are very, well, eggy, so I like them cooked most ways but only when the urge strikes. I remember thinking that a "stack" when popular consisting of black pudding, melted gruyere, beef tomato slice and an egg on top, would be quite a good balance. (Or sub a Portobello mushroom for the black pud.)

PS, Yeah, gotta be fried/grilled bread (butter or EVOO) rather than plain toast.

Postby Amyw » Tue May 12, 2020 2:31 pm

Anyone mentioned scotch eggs ? I used to love them when I ate meat . Bought two veggie ones from a deli before all of this , expecting them to have veggie sausage meat or a stuffing mix around them , but no they had mashed chickpeas around the egg . Chickpeas are a good I really hate so they went straight in the bin!

I might have a go at making my own veggie ones soon . Out local butchers used to do a slimming world scotch egg and I think couscous was used to coat the egg instead of breadcrumbs

Postby smitch » Tue May 12, 2020 2:38 pm

Amy, I reckon if you used some of the 'squashier' veggie sausages like Richmond, Meatless Farm or some of the mushroom ones like Sainsbury's shroomdogs, you could use those to coat an egg. Or even the old fashioned dry sosmix stuff.

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue May 12, 2020 2:41 pm

You could do the "Scotch Eggs" with leftover risotto, I reckon. Sort of Edinburgh version of arancini!

Postby Pampy » Tue May 12, 2020 2:46 pm

I saw a chef on tv make a "Scotch" egg using salmon instead of sausage meat - I rather fancy trying that.

Postby Amyw » Tue May 12, 2020 3:40 pm

smitch wrote:Amy, I reckon if you used some of the 'squashier' veggie sausages like Richmond, Meatless Farm or some of the mushroom ones like Sainsbury's shroomdogs, you could use those to coat an egg. Or even the old fashioned dry sosmix stuff.

I was thinking the Richmond ones. They're the most sausage like ones and as you said nice and squashy

Postby Grasshopper » Tue May 12, 2020 10:47 pm

Love eggs in all sorts of ways. Boiled, poached, fried, scrambled, griddled, egg-fried rice, omlettes, eggy bread (OMG I LOVE that! :yum )

I like eggs ;)

Mr Strong likes lots of eggs too.

:mrgreen:
Grasshopper
Grasshopper

Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw.
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door.

Postby Amyw » Tue May 12, 2020 10:52 pm

Who’s mr strong ???

Postby Grasshopper » Tue May 12, 2020 11:05 pm

One of the Mr Men. He is red and square-shaped.
:mrgreen:
Grasshopper
Grasshopper

Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw.
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door.

Postby Lokelani » Wed May 13, 2020 11:38 am

I used to love the Mr Men as a child. Still do in fact! They seem to be one of the childhood books/TV that have continued through the generations, as I managed to buy some Little Miss Sunshine socks from Sainsburys a year or so ago. With small feet I can wear kiddies socks. They cheer me up every time I wear them! :lol:

Postby WWordsworth » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:25 pm

Currently, boiled with garden asparagus soldiers and wholemeal toast.

Postby mark111757 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:43 pm

Poached is the fav....after that in no particular order.....over easy with the white set but not tough....sublime scrambled eggs from Gordo, did them for mum before she died. Went down a treat. Fried are OK. Just not hockey pucks.eggs cooked in bacon drippings are well received.. Eggy bread, spread with soft butter and real maple syrup is a!ways good.omelettes from Delia always work.

Postby WWordsworth » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:24 pm

You have reminded me of Delia's soufflé omelette.
Not had that for a while.

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:47 am

Bloomin eck!
Haven´t had a soufflé omelette in about 40 years and they´re really delicious.
What an excellent idea - only thing is, I had an omelette for breakfast today.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:24 pm

Gosh, I remember making souffle omelette at school! I haven't had one since.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:20 pm

When I was little, they were the only sort of omelettes I knew about.
My big brothers used to whip the whites with a solid Prestige hand beater and then hold the bowl above my head to my great delight, showing that nothing fell out if the whites were whipped properly! They then gently stirred in the yolks and made the omelette. I thought that was the only sort of omelette that existed for years!

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:24 pm

Lots of contenders in my list of eggy things I've made in the past, but on balance I'd say the one I'd fancy right now is Korean bibimbap - does that count? Lots of extras on the plate, but the egg is undoubtedly the star.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:13 pm

I am a Soufflé virgin :oops: and I have only eaten the pistacho and chocolate soufflé that is on the menu at Raymond Blanc's gaffs (Pepper Pig knows the one I mean ;) )

As a child, my mum didn't in my recollection ever make an omelette either. The closest she got was to beat up (one) egg, pour into a frying pan and then lay a slice of fried bread on top. When the underside was done, it was flipped over onto a plate and served with tomato sauce and called a fritter. I suspect this was to make 1 egg go further .

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:09 pm

You've reminded me of an asparagus recipe from college days, that's a good runner up to the bibimbap! Looking at the date of the pic, it was 10 years ago I last made it :-(

www.sakkarin.co.uk/foodforumpix/asparag ... le2020.jpg

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox