Register

Eggs - how do you like ´em?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Eggs - how do you like ´em?

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon May 11, 2020 7:18 am

I love eggs absolutely anyway. OH can’t even look at them. Best friend hates them so much she has to go out of the kitchen and get me to cook them for her brother when we go away on holiday. But I really hate them with baked beans. What is the point???

Postby northleedsbhoy » Mon May 11, 2020 8:29 am

I suppose the point is PP if you like them with beans then you like them. I happen to like them but, hey-ho, each to their own cos life would be boring if everyone liked and disliked the same things.

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Mon May 11, 2020 9:00 am

I like them in all forms. Although I can’t bear barely cooked scrambled eggs which are too wet. OH has his like that and I carry on cooking mine for a few more minutes to “ruin them” in OH’s words :D

A favourite at the weekend is to use a large ramekin per person - the tapas dish size - and make baked eggs with whatever we have in the fridge. I often save a couple of cooked potatoes for it and it’s a good way of getting in an extra portion of veg or two early in the day. Herbs, chillies, paprika regularly feature as well as something salty...chorizo, halloumi, feta or whatever we have. If we’re particularly hungry then a slice of toast on the side too. I could just eat it this morning.

Postby herbidacious » Mon May 11, 2020 10:05 am

I used to make alpine eggs a lot (baked eggs with cheese.) OH really likes them. One of the few things he cooks.

The person I sit next to at work hates eggs. And avocado, and bananas, and coriander and trifle and aubergines. (Although I suspect the last of these is having only ever encountered undercooked ones in pubs.)

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon May 11, 2020 10:22 am

Karadekoolaid wrote: The tortilla chips - called "totopos" in Mexico - are basically stale, plain tortillas which have been fried. They sell them in huge packets in Mexico. A base of "totopos", green sauce over the top, a fried egg or two, a little grated cheese. Heaven.

You can get fresh tomatillos here in early summer, NZ friends are obsessed with them. And of course you can buy tomatillos and even the salsa verde was in cans :oops

Some restaurants here make fresh totopos so I’ve tasted them and I think the best substitute is the economy/ value/ saver/ basics tortilla chips - much better texture than the posh ones, and less salty

Any ideas about how to make the most of my duck eggs?

Postby Badger's Mate » Mon May 11, 2020 10:25 am

Although I can’t bear barely cooked scrambled eggs which are too wet. OH has his like that and I carry on cooking mine for a few more minutes to “ruin them”

I cook scrambled eggs less than Mrs B was used to before we got together, but she's happy with them. Perhaps more successfully I cook liver just to medium - I'd get slung off MasterChef for overcooking it - but OH found it revelatory compared to how she'd had it previously, the traditional grey rubber of (I suspect) all our childhoods.

Otherwise we both like our white set and our yolks runny. My preferred 'baked egg in sauce' dish has got cheese on, can't remember if that's eggs in purgatory or something else, I sometimes get the timing of that slightly wrong.

Postby Badger's Mate » Mon May 11, 2020 10:34 am

If we all ever get to meet up again I've usually got spare tomatillos in late summer. Indeed my freezer has got a stratum of them just above the gooseberry bedrock. I made a pork chile verde yesterday.

I love duck eggs and used to get them quite cheaply from an old boy on Hertford market. They were different sizes and colours so clearly not of industrial production. I've always enjoyed them scrambled, but otherwise cooked simply to make the most of them. Maybe baked in a ramekin with a bit of cream and tarr - oops, herb of your choice! :D

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon May 11, 2020 10:42 am

Thanks - I think something scrambled might be good - or baked with a few chives

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon May 11, 2020 10:46 am

I love duck eggs too. Our local large Waitrose usually has them.

I think quail ages are overrated.

Postby Badger's Mate » Mon May 11, 2020 10:47 am

Yes, chives would be good, surely. Scrambled with chives would also be nice.

Postby Badger's Mate » Mon May 11, 2020 10:48 am

Our nearest Waitrose shut. So did the second nearest proper one. We're hoping Mrs B can get a delivery one day

Postby liketocook » Mon May 11, 2020 11:18 am

Love eggs, cooked anyway as long as the white is properly set. So hard to think of a favourite way but an egg and cress or egg and tomato sandwich is hard to beat IMHO.

Postby Lokelani » Mon May 11, 2020 12:24 pm

Buttery scrambled eggs on toast, perfect comfort food.

I have a particular aversion to any runny white, so although I love boiled eggs with soldiers, I find it a bit hit & miss to get them perfect and sometimes have to spoon out any not set white!

I often do baked eggs, over spinach with a bit of cheese over the top. Yummy & this thread has reminded me I haven't done them for a while. :)

They're also just so useful for stretching a skimpy amount of leftovers that I want to make into bubble & squeak. An egg on top & it's much more filling.

Very fresh ones sometimes get made into hollandaise or bearnaise as a rare treat. Older ones get float tested & either cooked into a very well cooked omelette or baked into a cake.

What would we do without eggs?! It feels like you can always make something nutritious if you have some in stock.

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon May 11, 2020 12:46 pm

Lokelani wrote:Buttery scrambled eggs on toast, perfect comfort food.

What would we do without eggs?! It feels like you can always make something nutritious if you have some in stock.

You're right, Lokelani.

We like eggs with home-made coriander, spinach or 'wild garlic' pesto (we've got a lot of "three-cornered leek" atm). You can either put the pesto in an omelette and have it on plain buttered toast, or have scambled egg on toast with pesto instead of butter. It was revelatory when we discovered it by accident when we wanted to use up some h-m coriander pesto.

We also like a sort of eggs florentine - eggs poached in wilted spinach with ground cumin scattered on the eggs.

I think we talked about cottage cheese on my ricotta thread, but we also like scrambled eggs with cottage cheese or cottage cheese omelette - with added herbs or whatever you've got to hand. The full-fat is a bit tastier than the low or no fat, as one might expect :lol:

Postby northleedsbhoy » Mon May 11, 2020 1:58 pm

‘They're also just so useful for stretching a skimpy amount of leftovers that I want to make into bubble & squeak. An egg on top & it's much more filling.’

If I have a roast I always make extra vegetables to be mashed up and fried for breakfast the next day with a soft fried egg on top.

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon May 11, 2020 2:03 pm

Fried eggs are really good with corned beef hash too.

Postby Badger's Mate » Mon May 11, 2020 2:16 pm

We have B&S or our equivalent with leftover cold meat and I always cook more veg in order to do it, but if I overdo it, a lunchtime rehash with a fried egg is definitely a consideration.

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon May 11, 2020 2:52 pm

Breakfast today was three Debrezciner sausages, "breakfast" potatoes (ie. leftover boiled potatoes fried up with a bit of onion and red pepper) and... a poached egg.
Now I´m set to tackle the garden again!

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon May 11, 2020 2:59 pm

They´re definitely a royal pain to peel.
However, I think their attraction is that they´re small and dainty. They are ( or were) very popular over here, as a cocktail snack, usually served with a spiced-up version of Marie Rose sauce. You could even get them on the beach as a snack.
I´ve used them for an egg curry; certainly makes a dish look very attractive.

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon May 11, 2020 3:30 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:

They´re definitely a royal pain to peel.
However, I think their attraction is that they´re small and dainty. They are ( or were) very popular over here, as a cocktail snack, usually served with a spiced-up version of Marie Rose sauce. You could even get them on the beach as a snack.
I´ve used them for an egg curry; certainly makes a dish look very attractive.

I have a feeling Waitrose sells ready-peeled quails' eggs - unfortunately not much use to you KK!!

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox