Register

Feijoada

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Feijoada

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Sat May 09, 2020 10:55 pm

Has anyone made it before? The Portuguese/Brazilian dish similar to cassoulet?

I’ve read a recipe in one of Dan Doherty’s books which suggests using ham hock, pork belly, chorizo and black beans. Although he says that as with a cassoulet, you can put in anything you can get your hands on. I’m going to order a ham hock to make it in the week as we have chorizo in and possibly pork belly in the freezer.

I’m trying to decide what to have with it...something plain to counteract the richness. What would you serve with it please?

Re: Feijoada

Postby Renee » Sat May 09, 2020 11:47 pm

Here's Jamie's recipe for Feijoada. I would think that you could leave out the pig's ear, tail and trotter! He serves it with a salsa and spring greens.

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/por ... -feijoada/

Postby halfateabag » Sun May 10, 2020 12:00 am

We ate this dish in Brazil decades ago and have made it at home. As you say, 'pork n beans' basically but with a bit of spice and every household will have its own twist. A green salad goes well with a sharp dressing to cut through the (sometimes) rich flavours of the F. Enjoy !

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun May 10, 2020 1:11 am

I would think that you could leave out the pig's ear, tail and trotter!

Nope. A Brazilian friend tells me that these, and especially the pig´s trotters, are absolutely essential to the final flavour of the dish.
It has to be served with yuca - manioc root - , white rice, and maybe some cooked kale. According to my friend!
But basically it´s a black bean and pork stew. The longer you cook it, the better it tastes. Pig´s ears, trotters, blood sausage, ham, chorizo,bacon - they´ll all work.
And you have to wash it down with an authentic Caipirinha. Whilst I´ve never eaten Feiojoada, I HAVE made a Caipirinha.
Cut two or three limes into halves(or quarters), add a good couple of tbps of sugar and grind in a pestle and mortar. Blenders are no good; it HAS to be a pestle and mortar. When the juice of the limes is extracted, fill a glass ( usually a short glass) with ice and pour some Cacasha ( not spelt properly, but it´s the Brazilian version of hard liquor!) over it. Empty the contents of the pestle into the glass. Stir. Enjoy with some some wonderful Toquinho & Vinicius.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun May 10, 2020 3:02 pm

I have a can of this in the cupboard that I've never plucked up courage to try. Check out the ingredients: pig's head, fat, blood and pork rind.
https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/ ... 871-117872

There is a sizeable Portuguese community in Watford, it prompted me to look closer at their food, and Feijoada was one of the dishes I tried, there a pic of my dish below. From the file dates, it was 11 years ago (Beeb board days), the recipes I used have long since vanished off the internet (mine was a combination of three recipes), but if you fancy a text version of them I had saved, I can PM you. There's an abbreviated version of the main recipe I used on this page...
https://www.everyculture.com/wc/Brazil- ... lians.html

Pic of my dish...
http://www.sakkarin.co.uk/foodforumpix/feijoada23.jpg

Incidentally last time I went to Loon Fung they had pigs ears, tails and trotters for sale...

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun May 10, 2020 3:13 pm

At the very least you need the pigs trotters - they create a lovely gelatinous texture - in fact any casserole benefits from their addition especially beef. I love pig's ears fried as a tapas - not so familiar with the tail tho'!
Since you're going to use a ham hock I don't think it will necessary to cook the above too. Enjoy! It's what I call peasant food :yum & every country has it's own variation.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun May 10, 2020 4:03 pm

I’ve never used fresh pig’s tail, but salted tails and trotters are quite often used in West Indian cooking, in stews and often in versions of cook up rice, rice with beans and meat cooked together

My problem with the gelatinous extremities of pig is the smell when cooking, I find it really repulsive. Like kasha, I’d rather it wasn’t cooked in my kitchen but I’ll eat it. I don’t remember it being a problem once salted

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun May 10, 2020 8:49 pm

P.S. I said Loon Fung assuming they were a national brand, but it seems they're only in London :-(

http://www.loonfung.com/

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Mon May 11, 2020 8:53 am

Thanks everyone. We’re going to make it on Friday as we have black beans coming in Thursdays shopping and it gives me a chance to order what we need from the butchers. We’ll certainly add pigs trotters to the order!

I would love the text version of your recipe Sakkarin if it’s not too much faff for you. Thanks.

I’ll go with the sides suggested in Jamie’s link. Alas... no yuca or cassava flour here!

I’m liking the idea of a cocktail with it KK 8-) Ill see what we can sub for the Brazilian spirit you mentioned.

Thanks all.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon May 11, 2020 10:54 am

Recipes forwarded. I guess Feijoada is another of those dishes that several countries claim as a national dish, and with as many variations as there are variations of Cassoulet - when I first made it I ended up using a combination of Ianinfrance's recipe and Elizabeth David's.

Similarly versions of Goulash and Pierogis pop up in loads of Eastern European cuisines, and many African countries share very similar dishes. And of course Green Papaya Salad pops up in different guises in Laos/Cambodia/Vietnam/Thailand and Burma...

And don't Malaysia and Thailand both claim ownership of Satay?

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon May 11, 2020 10:58 am

Sakkarin wrote:P.S. I said Loon Fung assuming they were a national brand, but it seems they're only in London :-(

http://www.loonfung.com/

Presumably Wing Yip have the same sort of stuff. They’re a bit more national. (Used to go there a lot before OH got so picky).

https://www.wingyip.com/

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon May 11, 2020 12:26 pm

The butchers in Loon Fung is far far bigger than the one in Wing Yip, with a long counter dedicated to every kind of pig meat. Mountains of trotters and belly pork!

Back in the day I used to make a three-stop trip, taking in Loon Fung, Hoo Hing and Wing Yip whenever I did an oriental shop, sometimes throwing in Yeohin Plaza on the way back...

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Sat May 16, 2020 9:31 pm

CADF6ACC-869A-47C9-AD39-B959A8F72949.jpeg
CADF6ACC-869A-47C9-AD39-B959A8F72949.jpeg (214.41 KiB) Viewed 6282 times

We ate this tonight and it was delicious! We ended up taking all of the meat off the bones to make it easier for the girls. I used a mixture of your recipes, Sakkarin and the Dan Doherty one. We served it with rice, greens, gremolata and orange wedges. We didn’t get a chance to make cocktails unfortunately but it went very nicely with white wine (me) and beer (OH).

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun May 17, 2020 2:38 am

Excellent!! :clap :clap :clap :clap

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun May 17, 2020 10:56 am

Great to see you followed it through! What was the original book, a specific cultural collection (Brazilian? Portuguese?) or a random collection of the author's favourites?

Follow on dish? I've dug out my copy of the Sunday Times South American book, some intriguingly different recipes in there I might investigate, although I suspect many of them are cheffy concoctions rather than regional dishes.

Open question, did anyone collect that Sunday Times series? I've only got two or three of them.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/World-Cuisine- ... 747&sr=8-1

Postby Binky » Sun May 17, 2020 11:13 am

Love the photo OMCO. It looks like real comfort food.

As for the cocktail, the ingredients for the caphairina sound a bit like Pisco Sours. We overdosed on these on the Andean train across the altiplano - the rear car was the bar and also the best viewing platform (come to think if it there might have been egg whites in the drink. Will have to check). :wino

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun May 17, 2020 11:32 am

Egg white in the pisco sours I had in Lima Binky

I made them at home using the freeze dried egg white sold for making cake icing, works well

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun May 17, 2020 2:05 pm

the ingredients for the caphairina sound a bit like Pisco Sours

Yep - a fierce distillate + ice + lime juice... :gonzo
Pisco is distilled grape juice, whereas cachasa is made from sugar cane, so I suppose Pisco is more akin to Orujo, Bagazo or Grappa.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun May 17, 2020 2:46 pm

Pisco doesn’t seem to have the ferocity of grappa - it’s made from sweet muscat grapes mainly
But I expect there are rougher ones around than I drank!

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Sun May 17, 2020 3:25 pm

Sakkarin wrote:Great to see you followed it through! What was the original book, a specific cultural collection (Brazilian? Portuguese?) or a random collection of the author's favourites?

It’s his Toast Hash Roast Mash book which includes a lot of brunch dishes and comfort food...so a mishmash really. We’ve only cooked a few things from it but there’s a leftover chicken congee dish which I was eyeing up the other day and a scotch egg/onion bhaji hybrid which looks delicious.

Re cocktails...we don’t drink a lot of spirits although OH enjoys gin and good whisky. However, this conversation has made me want to stock up the drinks cabinet for some decent cocktails!

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox