Register

Pheasant Eggs

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Pheasant Eggs

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon May 04, 2020 1:19 pm

I've never been very adventurous with eggs from birds other than chickens. A supplier of boxes containing things from local suppliers seems to have access to more pheasant eggs than chicken and I'm tempted to try some.

I mostly use eggs for eating as eggs and for baking. What do I need to know? Years ago there were scary tales attached to using some kinds of eggs which I feel sure were irrational but put me off.

Re: Pheasant Eggs

Postby PatsyMFagan » Mon May 04, 2020 1:34 pm

Well currently I have eaten eggs from Quail, chicken (including Bantam) , duck and goose eggs. I reckon Pheasant eggs would fall somewhere in between Quail and Guinea Fowl ... I suspect the eggs from all domesticated fowl are OK to eat ... :yum

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon May 04, 2020 2:18 pm

Never tried one and years since I saw one - they are bigger than I would have expected it seems, worth a try

https://www.thereadystore.com/food-stor ... u-can-eat/

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon May 04, 2020 2:44 pm

Costco went through a phase of selling turkey eggs. It didn’t last and I never tried them. Duck eggs are lovely.

Postby Suffs » Mon May 04, 2020 2:49 pm

Turkey eggs are seasonal. They’ve not been bred to produce them all year round ... yet.

We occasionally had pheasant eggs on the farm ... they would’ve been wild ones ... rich and tasty. We also occasionally had wild moorhen eggs. Great for an omelette ... the yolks were orange.
Farmed pheasant eggs (which yours will be) will be perfectly wholesome. Enjoy.

Postby Seatallan » Mon May 04, 2020 3:21 pm

Oooh yes! Pheasant eggs are lovely! :yum
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Gruney » Mon May 04, 2020 3:59 pm

I've never seen turkey eggs or pheasant, but I always thought, that because they were by no means prolific layers, all the eggs were taken for hatching. Is that wrong?

Postby Suffs » Mon May 04, 2020 4:21 pm

Most are Gruney ... but the big white turkeys are artificially inseminated as the stags’ breasts are so overdeveloped they can’t do the job themselves. The breeding station manager needs to be sure the hens are in regular lay before insemination takes place so the first few batches of eggs will not have been fertilised so will obviously not go to the hatchery and may be sold for cooking
We used to live a mile or so from a ‘Bootiful’ breeding station. DS had a Saturday job there when he was 15 ... he hated it.

Pheasant eggs aren’t often for sale other than for hatching, but in these strange times there may not have been the demand from gamekeepers etc.

I think pheasant eggs would be wonderful for making Scotch Eggs :yum

Postby Gruney » Mon May 04, 2020 4:29 pm

Ah - thanks Suffs.

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon May 04, 2020 5:18 pm

I don't know about any other eggs, I've never tried them.
But peasant eggs are smaller than hens eggs.
And their yolk is large in relation to the white.

I cannot remember what didn't work as a result of this difference, when I got a bag of 50 from the local gamekeeper at Sudeley Castle.
Maybe a souffle?

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon May 04, 2020 5:43 pm

Looking forward to trying them now - probably next week when I try out the supplier for a box of goodies.

I notice that in the link that Sue attached it suggested they tasted 'gamey'. They do sound nice, they are 'free range from grass roaming hens', as Suffs says, I suspect that the number of birds required for recreational shoots will be somewhat fewer this year.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox