Register

Home-made ricotta!

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Home-made ricotta!

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:19 pm

We finally got round to using the cheese making kit DS gave me for my birthday some weeks ago and we made ricotta.

It needed more citric acid than first specified in the recipe - although it did say if the curds don't form, keep adding more bit by bit. A quick look at other recipes made me think that it probably needed more to start with. We were doing half quantities - 2 ltrs instead of 4 and scaled down the ingredients, which is what the booklet said we could do. We got about 400 g of cheese. And a lot of whey! No idea what to do with it, looks like "acid" whey isn't much use for anything else.

On an electric hob it was tricky keeping it at the 76 degrees C required and the whole thing took much longer than we anticipated - but then, the first time for anything like that is bound to take longer.

If I could remember how to shrink photos to the size allowed on here I'd post a pic!

It tastes good, still quite granular. We've got a lot to practise before progressing onto more complicated processes like burrata!

Re: Home-made ricotta!

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:41 pm

Whey can be used to replace milk or buttermilk in scones. I think it can
be used in breads too but not sure of the ratio to other ingredients (I.e if it can replace all, or just some of, the liquid).

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:35 pm

I thought I had heard that too, EM, but according to this link https://www.culturesforhealth.com/learn ... -use-whey/ it's not terribly useful. Although we used semi-skimmed milk not whole milk and they specifically mention whole milk ricotta ....

Ah, just found this link https://www.culturesforhealth.com/learn ... ta-cheese/
So the whey can theoretically be used to make more ricotta! Mine has been sitting around since yesterday so it's not fresh. Might try that next time.

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:37 pm

I did a day at Wilde's a couple of years ago, they were great advocates of whey. However, I think all those cheeses were rennet curds. I have made a few acid set cheeses, as EM says you could use the whey in scones or soda bread. There's a soda fruit loaf that a colleague from w*** used to make, Manx recipe called Bonnag or somesuch, it might work in that. I suppose it depends upon how much citric acid you've added to your milk. I've definitely boiled spuds in HM whey but can't remember if it was acid or rennet based.

I made a ricotta tart with a chocolate crust (Tessa Kiros recipe) with mine :thumbsup

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:41 pm

I think that the heat used to make the type of ricotta in these kits probably means that most of the protein is already precipitated and there might not be much left for a reboil. The yield might be very low.

Postby jeral » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:59 pm

I make a sort of cheese sometimes from yoghurt made at home in a 1L yoghurt maker, using UHT full fat ("whole") milk, simply by straining it in the fridge for about thee days over muslin or decent thick kitchen paper. It also leaves a lot of whey and not much solid, maybe only around 1/3rd of the original milk liquid volume. You might find it less faff.

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:03 pm

I suppose that's not unlike labneh

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:33 pm

Badger's Mate wrote:I think that the heat used to make the type of ricotta in these kits probably means that most of the protein is already precipitated and there might not be much left for a reboil. The yield might be very low.

Ah, that would make me feel better about chucking the whey if I'm probably not "wasting" it :thumbsup

Postby scullion » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:49 pm

KeenCook2 wrote: And a lot of whey! No idea what to do with it, looks like "acid" whey isn't much use for anything else.

can you boil it down to make mysost?

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri May 01, 2020 4:41 am

You can use the whey to cook rice, for example. It´s delicious.

Postby ZeroCook » Fri May 01, 2020 6:45 am

You can use the whey to cook rice, for example. It´s delicious.

That's a great idea. Never have found a good use for whey.

I make Ricotta using whole milk and yoghurt - works really well, beautiful flavour and texture.
https://cnz.to/recipes/basics/homemade-ricotta-recipe/

I also make yoghurt - very simple too - it's all about proportions and temperature.

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri May 01, 2020 1:19 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:You can use the whey to cook rice, for example. It´s delicious.

Arghh I chucked it yesterday evening as no room to store it ... next time I will definitely use it for rice. That's a brilliant idea :thumbsup

ZeroCook, that's a great recipe :thumbsup

Postby Suffs » Fri May 01, 2020 3:49 pm

I used to use the whey from cheese making to feed the pigs we were fattening ... great use for it :thumbsup makes wonderful pork.

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri May 01, 2020 4:51 pm

I believe that the Melton Mowbray pork pie industry grew as a byproduct because the whey from local cheeses, such as Stilton, was used to feed the pigs.

Postby Lokelani » Sun May 03, 2020 6:50 pm

I loved making our own cheese for a while. We bought the stuff from Lakeland years ago & had so much fun. I think we made mozzarella first, I seem to remember using the microwave for that, then ricotta.

I think the problem back then was finding non homogenised milk. Great fun though & so rewarding, as is making anything from scratch. :D

Postby miss mouse » Sun May 03, 2020 7:24 pm

I have trouble finding the point of ricotta, it is as dull as cottage cheese. I did once eat a nice mozzarella years ago, just the once though alas.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun May 03, 2020 8:39 pm

miss mouse wrote:I have trouble finding the point of ricotta, it is as dull as cottage cheese. I did once eat a nice mozzarella years ago, just the once though alas.

I'm looking forward to making the burrata - which I really love - but it's tricky so a bit more practice needed!

We've been eating cottage cheese recently in scrambled eggs/ omelettes, with herbs, wild garlic or whatever, and it's been delicious.

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun May 03, 2020 10:26 pm

I adore burrata.

Postby Amyw » Mon May 04, 2020 1:08 pm

I don’t like cottage cheese but like ricotta. I’ve had it spread on bruschetta too and I like grilled courgettes with garlic chilli and ricotta .

Burrata and mozzarella are both gorgeous . A caprese salad is one of my favourite summer meals

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon May 04, 2020 1:59 pm

I have trouble finding the point of ricotta, it is as dull as cottage cheese.

I´ll concur on that, Miss mouse. Ricotta falls into the same category as tofu and polenta.
However, I think it´s more what you do with it, or what you combine it with, rather than its flavour. Ricotta is great when combined with spinach and used to stuff canneloni and also with pasta sauces.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox