Register

Yeast supply,s

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Yeast supply,s

Postby Seatallan » Sun May 03, 2020 4:42 pm

We properly got together very soon after that and married the following year... :D
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun May 03, 2020 5:30 pm

kissy kissy lovey lovey

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun May 03, 2020 5:44 pm

That’s a great story Seatallen, though a shame about the violence

Postby ZeroCook » Sun May 03, 2020 5:48 pm

Seatallan wrote:
More luck than judgement. Mind you, many of the local village shops tend to have a good stock on things like yeast because just about everyone around here bakes regularly even in normal times. I send them a FB message to see if they had any and they saved one for us. It was a result however (and only just over £5.00!! :thumbsup )

Nice people. A few weeks ordered the two two-pack minimum order - yes 4 x 500g <yikes><don't!>- from our online costco type warehouse which they ended up cancelling as out of stock. Hasn't been in since. <rolls eyes>

Postby Seatallan » Mon May 04, 2020 3:20 pm

Just to add the icing to the cake (as it were :) ) Mr S has just managed to pick up a bag of strong wholemeal flour from local branch of Booths. We've not seen wholemeal bread flour for yonks. Result!!! :thumbsup

Postby ZeroCook » Mon May 04, 2020 4:21 pm

Well done Seatallen. Mad how things disappear and reappear like fairy dust these days.

A few weeks ago my friendly artisan bakery owner of the only proper bakery in town was telling me that all his supplies were spotty - flour as well as yeast. He very generously sold us a large sack of his everyday plain/bread flour for cost. Nice man. Famine n feast.

The yeast reappeared online at the warehouse club yestetday so I placed an order and now four 500g packs of the stuff will appear in two weeks. Feast n famine. Or vice versa. I dunno.

Postby Hickybank » Mon May 04, 2020 8:11 pm

My yeast arrive today, so 500g yeast & 30kg bread flour, so won't be going without bread for a bit

Postby slimpersoninside » Mon May 04, 2020 11:27 pm

Tried out the Fermipan in the breadmaker overnight, it worked fine.

The bag is now firmly rolled shut, fastened with a rubber band, in a ziploc bag and in the freezer. Precious supplies call for over the top storage :lol: !

Postby ZeroCook » Tue May 05, 2020 8:04 am

Hickybank wrote:My yeast arrive today, so 500g yeast & 30kg bread flour, so won't be going without bread for a bit

Ditto! My flour is 12% and classified as an all purpose flour good for pastries, most breads and anything else. Well, almost. I bought some vital wheat gluten recently in case I want to up the protein level a tad. Tested it on a recipe that I usually make with 12.7% strong bread flour and it worked fine. 1 teaspoon = 1.75g of protein/gluten.

slimoersononside wrote:The bag is now firmly rolled shut, fastened with a rubber band, in a ziploc bag and in the freezer. Precious supplies call for over the top storage

Best way to store open packs of yeast I find. Lasts for ages like that. Had a bag that lasted a couple of years no probs.

Postby slimpersoninside » Tue May 05, 2020 10:56 am

ZeroCook wrote:Best way to store open packs of yeast I find. Lasts for ages like that. Had a bag that lasted a couple of years no probs.

That's good to hear!

Postby PatsyMFagan » Tue May 05, 2020 4:13 pm

Meant to say, on another thread, inspired by another poster making Brioche buns, I tried the recipe and it worked a treat. It was only after I had made them, that I noticed the sachet of Instant Yeast had a BBF date of late 2017 ;)
:thumbsup :clap

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue May 05, 2020 10:25 pm

slimpersoninside wrote:
The bag is now firmly rolled shut, fastened with a rubber band, in a ziploc bag and in the freezer. Precious supplies call for over the top storage :lol: !

arghh, I had a barely-used sachet of yeast that had been in the freezer for months but threw it out as I thought it would have deteriorated and didn't want to waste the flour!

Good to know it can be repeatedly frozen. The recipe I've been using only requires 1/4 tsp yeast so one of those little packets could do several batches of bread.

Postby Seatallan » Wed May 06, 2020 3:18 pm

We store our dried yeast in a Kilner jar and it seems to be fine (mind you, we use it quite a lot due to the breadmaker).

Postby scullion » Wed May 06, 2020 8:57 pm

i put my order in to the zero plastic mobile shop (doing deliveries for the time being), today, which included 200g of dried, active yeast (£1.50 per 100g) - they have plenty and it'll be delivered tomorrow. my partner is relieved.

Postby sunflower » Thu May 07, 2020 11:39 am

Do you have a local Polish shop? They normally have fresh yeast in big block really cheap. Look for the word drożdże. I have also seen good supply of white flour, I can't read polish I just go by the photo what they are use for.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu May 07, 2020 12:41 pm

That's intriguing Sunflower, there's one 10 minutes walk from me...

Although I daresay they may be charging silly money now it's in short supply.

Postby sunflower » Thu May 07, 2020 12:58 pm

Hi Sakkarin
I went to one yesterday, the fresh yeast was bigger than a block of butter if i am not wrong it was less than a pound. Also flour is around 70p per 1kg bag.

I did not buy the yeast as I have a big 500g dried at home.

This below is my favourite polish flour got 11% protein great for bread. I also use it for cakes also very good.

Postby sunflower » Thu May 07, 2020 1:14 pm

If you are looking for catering size flour 10kg or above try any local cash and carry like Bookers or Hyperama. They sell a lot of pizza flour good for bread, plain flour and Asian Maida flour. Last week went to one and saw lots of stock. The flours are reasonably priced you can get a huge bag for less than a tenner.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu May 07, 2020 1:42 pm

I've been adding 20% atta flour to most of my bread recently, initially to eke out my flour supply, but now that I've got loads of bread flour I'm still using it because the bread tastes better with a bit of wholemealish atta in it, and of course is slightly more nutritious too...

When it's on special Atta is ludicrously cheap.

Postby dennispc » Thu May 07, 2020 4:56 pm

Break up fresh yeast into little sachets, made from wax paper, about 15g’s each and keep in the freezer. Works well.

Sorry hicky, I didn’t come back to your question about Somerset. We’re in Wellington a couple of miles from the Devon border - moved from London in 1963 - and not near Stoke Gregory KeenCook. Although spending many hours on Kilve Beach, Horner Woods and had a dear friend who lived in Minehead, we tended to go West and South especially with the kids. In those days, Bridgwater had a bit of a reputation - Weston appears to be taking those honours now!

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox