Register

Yeast supply,s

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Yeast supply,s

Postby Hickybank » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:53 pm

It appears that suddenly everyone is a bread maker as there is no yeast anywhere, I use Allisons dried active yeast but cannot find it anywhere unless you you are happy to but on Ebay where some is on offer at up to £13 for a 125g tin (£1.15 in Morrisons) it should not be allowed, I have loads of flour as I buy by the sack but not much use without the yeast.
I don't know if I can be bothered to make a sourdough sounds such a faf.
Is it the same everywhere, I assume so.
I have about 100g left so o/k for a bit, but we eat a lot of bread.
Anyone found a reliable source, starting to get desperate.
Terry

Re: Yeast supply,s

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:08 pm

Yes, the yeast shortage is national - seems everyone thought they'd dig the breadmaker out from under the stairs

But I guess it will be back in the shops by the time you have worked your way through a full tub

Postby halfateabag » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:14 pm

Lidls had sachets of dried yeast today...... 6 in a pack I think...

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:37 pm

Number 2 son is getting his from the local health food shop.

Postby slimpersoninside » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:49 pm

Definately a rare beast at the moment Hicky.

I bit the bullet and paid double for a 500g pack from Amazon marketplace. Much as I think it disgraceful people are profiting out of the situation I was running out of yeast and couldn't find any.

I hang my head in shame :crying2 .

Although I have both white and wholemeal bread flour at the moment I'd love to get my hands on some more before too long!

Good luck with your quest.
Last edited by slimpersoninside on Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Uschi » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:49 pm

We‘ve had that for weeks now, no yeast to be had. At least we can get fresh now.
If push comes to shove, you can make your own with dried Fruit in water.
It Takes longer, but seems to work.

Postby DEB » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:04 pm

Down here yeast, Dove active yeast, is easy to come by but I think that is because Flour has basicly not seen for about 3to 4 weeks. I am rapidly running out of flour.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:38 pm

Last tub of yeast opened, and one bag of flour left here.

Postby Amyw » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:57 pm

We’re quite lucky , our bakers in town has numerous types of flour available , SR, bread, plain , malted grain etc and selling fresh yeast , though not dried

Postby Grasshopper » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:17 pm

Hicks - DISGUSTING that greedy types are profiteering!
:x
Grasshopper
Grasshopper

Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw.
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door.

Postby Hickybank » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:49 am

slimpersoninside wrote:Definately a rare beast at the moment Hicky.

I bit the bullet and paid double for a 500g pack from Amazon marketplace. Much as I think it disgraceful people are profiting out of the situation I was running out of yeast and couldn't find any.

Although I have both white and wholemeal bread flour at the moment I'd love to get my hands on some more before too long!

I am fine with flour as I buy it by the sack tr the moment I have about 16Kg of white & wholemeal & enough yeast for about 10 loaves, hopefully I will get some before that.
Which yeast did you get, was it the 500g Fermipan,if so is it o/k, as that is what I am looking at.
Thanks
Terry.

Postby slimpersoninside » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:00 pm

Hickybank wrote:
slimpersoninside wrote:Definately a rare beast at the moment Hicky.

I am fine with flour as I buy it by the sack tr the moment I have about 16Kg of white & wholemeal & enough yeast for about 10 loaves, hopefully I will get some before that.
Which yeast did you get, was it the 500g Fermipan,if so is it o/k, as that is what I am looking at.
Thanks
Terry.

It is indeed the Fermipan. Not sure what it's like yet as it's still in quarantine :D . I'll let you know when it's out in the world and I've made a loaf with it (I use a bread machine by the way). It won't be for a while as we had 2 loaves delivered in our online shop yesterday.

Postby Lokelani » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:25 pm

I know it's not the same but if you have bicarb you can make soda bread. Other ideas here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/articles/how ... lain_flour

Good luck on the yeast hunt I'm scared to use what I have because I can't replace it! I have some over a year out of date, Feb 2019. I wonder if it would work if I just doubled it as I've read or is that a myth? My guess is if it's no longer active, it doesn't matter how much you put in! I guess if it's just lost a bit of oomph it might work. Who wants to waste flour at the moment though on a failed loaf.

Postby smitch » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:51 pm

I bought some of the Fermipan yeast but haven't go around to trying it yet either. I did a quick google when I first saw it and it does seem to have good reviews and is highly regarded in Japan for some reason.

Postby Pampy » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:56 pm

From the Souschef website :
Fermipan red dried yeast is the trusted choice of professional bakers across the world. The dry yeast rapidly rehydrates when mixed with water or when added directly to dough.

Fermipan yeast has extremely high fermentation power, which makes it a particularly good choice for lean doughs with low sugar content. The yeast is also praised for the flavour and aroma it gives bread, which is less ‘yeasty’ than some other dry mixes.

Lots of other good reviews online too.

The cheapest that I've found it is on eBay - £10.98 for 500g. You can freeze it so it's not too expensive, I suppose.

Just found it at £8.95 on eBay and free p+p

Postby Seatallan » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:04 pm

We just picked up a 500g pack of Fermigram dried yeast from the shop in the next village. Wasn't expensive either. We're well chuffed I can tell you!!
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:27 pm

Fermipan is the just original brand of easy blend dried yeast - I think the makers of Fermipan held patents, but those may have expired

So it should be absolutely fine - my reference is a very old copy of Elizabeth David's bread book

Postby Hickybank » Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:28 pm

Pampy wrote:From the Souschef website :
Fermipan red dried yeast is the trusted choice of professional bakers across the world. The dry yeast rapidly rehydrates when mixed with water or when added directly to dough.

Fermipan yeast has extremely high fermentation power, which makes it a particularly good choice for lean doughs with low sugar content. The yeast is also praised for the flavour and aroma it gives bread, which is less ‘yeasty’ than some other dry mixes.

Lots of other good reviews online too.

The cheapest that I've found it is on eBay - £10.98 for 500g. You can freeze it so it's not too expensive, I suppose.

Just found it at £8.95 on eBay and free p+p

Hi Pampy I found it there to at £8.95, I have an order on it's way.

Postby dennispc » Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:52 pm

Lokelani. Following Richard Bertinet’s book Dough, I treat all yeast the same; dried (either type) sprinkle into flour and stir around; fresh, crumble in as if making pastry, add water etc.

Dried yeast seems to have changed, not sure when, but a friend of mine found an out of date tin (by three years) at the back of a cupboard a time ago - it worked fine. Normally I'd say it'll be OK, but wouldn't want to risk that amount of flour.

Depends whether your’s has been opened and where kept. Keep mine in the fridge, but an old one given to me last year, kept in freezer.

Suggestion. Half a tsp of your dried yeast, mix with small amount of warm water and flour, cover and pray. Make a cup of tea and see if it's bubbled when you’ve finished.

Hicky, nice to see you again. I don’t know Bridgwater, but if there’s a health food store, they may have it, or a Morrisons. Our son got me some fresh yeast from Morrisons in Taunton and bread flour last Saturday. There’s a health food store in Bridge Street Taunton, just round the corner from Morrisons.

On an Industrial Estate in Wellington a firm called Bakery Bits. Unfortunately don’t deliver.

I’ve made this point elsewhere - thousands of families are locked down, making bread, cakes and Play Doh. It’s no surprise.

Good luck to you both.

lfoxr deactivated

Postby lfoxr deactivated » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:08 pm

you can always use wild yeast in your bread

https://www.weedemandreap.com/wild-yeast-starter/

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox