Register

homemade marmite

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

homemade marmite

Postby scullion » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:51 pm

https://www.greatbritishchefs.com/recipes/homemade-marmite-recipe

would you bother? even if you had free fuel to reduce it?

Site Admin

Re: homemade marmite

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:36 pm

A KILO of sourdough bread!! What a waste! That's two and a half of the small sourdough cobs from Lidl!

"Leftover"?????? Dear me. Leftover for me would be maybe a slice.

And for the record, my weeny jar of marmite which will probably last me 6 months is just 70g.

Postby Badger's Mate » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:24 pm

Next time you have some leftover bread, why not try making your own Marmite instead of throwing it away?

Clearly, those are the only two options :roll:

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:41 pm

Badger's Mate wrote:Clearly, those are the only two options :roll:

:lol: :lol:

Until Marmite is impossible to find, I think I'll just buy it. This is parallel with the sourdough starter in a way, I wonder if you could make it using the end of a bottle of beer or fermenting apples etc. Clearly you can tell I am not a scientist but apart from the 'toasty' flavour they mention, they seem to be deconstructing the bread back to the starter - or have I missed the point?

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:27 pm

I have problems with the ingredients

1kg sourdough bread, toasted and cut into large dice
4l water
7g of fresh yeast
10g of sugar

Why on earth would the bread need to be sourdough? The starter yeast has been baked then toasted, and it’s well dead, the toast is surely just fodder for the yeast

No salt. Have these people tasted Marmite?

Postby Pampy » Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:26 am

Possibly no wonder Great British Chefs went into administration last month! (They have been taken over now, though.)

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:50 am

I think someone, somewhere, has nothing better to do.
It´s really so much easier to pick up a jar of Marmite in the supermarket!

Postby ZeroCook » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:52 am

Why on earth would the bread need to be sourdough? The starter yeast has been baked then toasted, and it’s well dead, the toast is surely just fodder for the yeast

No salt. Have these people tasted Marmite?

Exactly my thoughts. TBH the recipe seems a bit beyondo and yucky even for me, a fermentation fan. <shudder> But you never know. Reminds me of recipes using whey that I've seen for Norwegian Gjeshot cheese which I love - I was making ricotta. Vats of whey are needed which are reduced/boiled down to a caramely residue. And that's just for starters. Way too much action for me ;~))

https://joybileefarm.com/make-gjetost-whey/

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:08 am

The other thing about the recipe is that as far as I know both Marmite and Vegimite are made from brewer’s yeast, not baker’s yeast. Fairly different beasts.

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:15 am

Anyone giving this a go then?

Intrepid is my middle name ....................... but I haven't got fresh yeast! I've got dried?

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:55 am

A shocking waste of bread in these times! Anyone with 'leftover' bread can throw it my way instead!

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:57 am

Way too much action for me

Too much whey action, in fact :D

Postby herbidacious » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:58 am

I think not. Generally I am interesting in tryging to make things from scratch (I even have a book with a title that amounts to this), and I might put it on the list, but it would go way down the bottom.

Postby Amyw » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:07 pm

Filing under life is too short I think

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:56 pm

Given that many food items are simply not available here, I´ve had a go at many common items - Branston pickle, Lea & P, HP Sauce and even pappadums. Sometimes, it´s worthwhile; I make my own tahini now and never buy teriyaki sauce because it´s a doddle. Most times, however, it´s just a long-winded bit of fun.

Postby ZeroCook » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:51 am

karadekoolaid wrote:I make my own tahini now

Do tell, please.

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:20 pm

Tahini: 1/2 kg of white sesame seeds, oil. I use a mixture of sunflower oil and olive oil. I´m sure it would taste even better if I could get hold of some light sesame oil, but not possible!
Just spread the sesame seeds on to a baking tray, heat the oven to 350F (177C, Gas Mark 4) and put the tray in the oven for about 5 minutes. Stir the seeds from time to time. You want the seeds to change colour, but not go brown. You could also do this on the stove top.
Remove the seeds and let them cool completely. Then grind the seeds.
Now add the oil bit by bit, stirring frequently, until the tahini comes together.
I store mine in the cupboard - but then I use it quite a lot.

Postby Luca » Fri May 08, 2020 12:28 am

karadekoolaid wrote:Tahini: 1/2 kg of white sesame seeds, oil. I use a mixture of sunflower oil and olive oil. I´m sure it would taste even better if I could get hold of some light sesame oil, but not possible!
Just spread the sesame seeds on to a baking tray, heat the oven to 350F (177C, Gas Mark 4) and put the tray in the oven for about 5 minutes. Stir the seeds from time to time. You want the seeds to change colour, but not go brown. You could also do this on the stove top.
Remove the seeds and let them cool completely. Then grind the seeds.
Now add the oil bit by bit, stirring frequently, until the tahini comes together.
I store mine in the cupboard - but then I use it quite a lot.

Tahini is getting very expensive here but then again what isn’t. I’ll try this. Thank you.

Re Marmite. I wouldn’t make it but I had 1 crumpet left in a packet... and Marmite pot had been scraped pretty much clean by somebody else. . A small amount of butter in the pot and a very short time in the microwave without any lid melted it perfectly. Quick shake and Marmite crumpet. Delicious. Now to find new pot.... None available local little shop. I love it.

Postby ZeroCook » Fri May 08, 2020 1:47 am

Thanks for that Clive. I have some avocado oil and some walnut oil, either of which might work well. Not sure how fine I could get it tho. I have a food processor, a blender, a mini processor, a Japanese mortar/serrated ceramic grinding bowl, and a coffee grinder but that's out of the question as it's newly acquired for my lockdown coffee stockpile. I destroyed the last one trying to grind dry corn kernals ( !!). What do you use to grind your tahini and how fine are you able to get it?

Wot no marmite Luca? Me too. But I'm not sure I can convince myself to have a go at that DIY recipe ...

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri May 08, 2020 4:41 am

I used to use a coffee grinder too, until my DIL bought me a Cuisinart Nut and Spice Grinder. Turns anything to dust!
Your coffee grinder won´t suffer - the sesame seeds are not hard. Otherwise, I´d probably use the food processor and add the oil bit by bit.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox