Register

Crisp bag omelette

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Crisp bag omelette

Postby Seatallan » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:48 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:
I really wouldn't touch that omelette, especially in Corvid times.

And why not? What does the coronavirus have to do with it? Just curious.

However - that sounds like a student recipe. We used to prepare something my Geordie mate called " poundies".
A packet of Smash; a chopped onion; a barely-fried egg. Whack it all together after a night down the boozer. :crying1 :shock: :gonzo :gonzo

That takes me back! We had a similar recipe when I was a student. Also made me recall the local Indian takeaway (it was called the Dakkha and was a bit of an institution) and how they'd mince up any left-over meat they had lying about, mix it with a bit of onion and spice, form it into patties, fry it up and serve it wrapped in chappatis. They were called Dakkha Burgers and they were truly to die for.... :D
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:15 pm

I'm with Pepper on this.
Fingers rammed into face, saliva dirty fingers back into packet. Fingers into face, fingers into packet.

I've told a barman to go wash his hands before he served me, after watching him fist in a packet of crisps then start pouring drinks.

I like everyone's alternative versions though.
Do they still make chipsticks?

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:00 pm

For vile crisp eaters, a man I used to work with takes the prize. I can't even look at lamb flavoured crisps as a result.

However, I'd assumed that this cookery experiment started with a clean, unopened packet of crisps and still think that the methodology would be useful in certain circumstances.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:26 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:I'm with Pepper on this.
Fingers rammed into face, saliva dirty fingers back into packet. Fingers into face, fingers into packet.

But why would you be using a crisp packet someone has been eating from with mucky fingers? It's very unlikely surely unless you forage for dropped food or stuff your own face without washing your hands

IF I were to try it I'd what MsMarmiteLover probably did before she started recording the video, take a fresh packet of crisps, open it, tip out enough crisps to make room for the eggs into a clean bowl (if necessary), and get going. I really don't see how that would be unhygienic

Postby Amyw » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:39 pm

I agree sue .

Postby MariaK » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:53 am

karadekoolaid wrote:that sounds like a student recipe.

That's exactly what it was when I moved to Madrid in 1974. In those days crisps came in beige paper bags from the local churrería - no super markets let alone foreign brands. A huge bag cost just a few pesetas - so that and a couple of 1 liter bottles of beer is what they'd have on a Saturday night. If they had eggs some of the crisps might be made into a tortilla

Then Ferran Adria published a recipe and Carlos Arguiñano, a popular TV chef, christened it " La tortilla de patatas chips de Ferran Adria". The name stuck although Adria always said that he did not invent it.

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:19 am

Hahaha! Anything to fill a space!
One of my favourite cookbooks is Arguiñano´s "1069 Recetas". Sits right behind me, and it will ALWAYS have something interesting to cook!

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:55 am

Well it just goes to show you, there's nothing new.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox