Register

Anchovies

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Anchovies

Postby Pampy » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:04 pm

When I make pizza, I use the anchovy oil to make the dough.

Postby Lusciouslush » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:13 pm

Let me know when you're next making that dough :yum

Pampy wrote:I have had to stop making it as (despite best intentions) I always finished the lot in one go.

Me too..... :D Oink Oink...............!!

Postby WWordsworth » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:10 pm

Not for me, one of the few things I really dislike.

Postby Loulou » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:23 pm

Puttanesca sauce, Salade Nicoise, love them on pizza. Made Puttanesca sauce for the first time last week using some anchovies that had been in a jar in the fridge since I don’t remember when! No nasty after effects thankfully.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:00 pm

Lusciouslush wrote:yup, Burgess was the muts nuts all right...…….!!

Janson's temptation...………..yesssss!
Although the Norwegians do not use anchovy but a small herring-like fish with lots of spices. Still very yummy but different.

A drunk Swede explained this to me at great length :roll:
What the Scandinavians use are Ansjovis - anchovy style sprats or sild

https://www.made-in-scandinavian.com/st ... weden.html
They are flavoured with cinnamon and sometimes sandalwood and I don’t like them

An english friend got confused and added anchovies (real ones) to a gratin dauphinois - just a few to season the potatoes turns out to be excellent.

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:31 am

[/quote]This is one of our all-time favourite pasta with anchovy recipes, from Jamie Oliver's Italy: https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food ... sta-237164[/quote]

Wow - just looked at that. It´s right up my street, the sort of thing we´d eat here at home for Sunday lunch!

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:37 am

What the Scandinavians use are Ansjovis - anchovy style sprats or sild

https://www.made-in-scandinavian.com/st ... weden.html

I wonder whether, when you open the tin, you get a blast of " at Waterloo, Napoleon did surrender / Oh, yeah -"
:gonzo :gonzo :gonzo :gonzo

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:48 am

There's a storecupboard article in today's Guardian. One of the recipes suggests adding anchovies to macaroni cheese. I would like that. OH would hate it.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/a ... corn-cakes

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:29 pm

Are you sure he would single them out unless he knew they were there PP? Much of the joy of anchovies is when they add hidden depth of flavour to a dish without shouting out 'anchovy' (as you know). I'd have thought this might be one of those recipes rather than one where they are glaringly obvious. Wish I had some, I'd try it!

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:39 pm

This is the man who picks out bits of sliced mushroom EM. He’d notice.

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:04 pm

:lol:

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:07 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:This is the man who picks out bits of sliced mushroom EM. He’d notice.

When I was little I hated onions. My mother still used them although tried to tell me she hadn't. I would go through my food with a fine toothcomb and extract the offending objects!
If I didn't do that I would store them in my cheek like a hamster and suddenly have to go into the garden during the meal to spit them out :lol: :lol:
I've no idea how I managed that, I couldn't begin to have that ability now, even if I wanted to :lol:

Postby Renee » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:00 am

Pampy wrote:I love anchovies. I used a can on Saturday when I made broccoli pasta. Just soften a couple of sliced garlic cloves in the anchovy oil, add the anchovies and stir until broken down then add chilli flakes to taste. Cook pasta and add small florets of broccoli 2 or 3 minutes before the pasta is done, then drain and add to the garlic and anchovy. Mix well to coat the pasta with the sauce - add a bit of the cooking water to loosen, if necessary. A really quick and tasty meal.

I will make that today Pampy and have all the ingredients!

I love anchovies and always eat a couple on their own when I open a jar. I used to put them on pizzas.

Postby Suffs » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:27 am

So it’s not just me Renee :yum

Postby Gruney » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:45 am

I tried that the other night, and quickly had to take the taste away with a teaspoonful of capers - which I really do like. :lol:

Postby PatsyMFagan » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:50 am

KeenCook2 wrote:
Pepper Pig wrote:This is the man who picks out bits of sliced mushroom EM. He’d notice.

When I was little I hated onions. My mother still used them although tried to tell me she hadn't. I would go through my food with a fine toothcomb and extract the offending objects!
If I didn't do that I would store them in my cheek like a hamster and suddenly have to go into the garden during the meal to spit them out :lol: :lol:
I've no idea how I managed that, I couldn't begin to have that ability now, even if I wanted to :lol:

When I was first married, I already knew my OH hated onions (which I love) and his mother said he only liked Oxo gravy :o So, if I wanted to include onion in any dish I just blitzed it as I discovered it was the texture he hated, rather than the taste. I also ignored MiL's instruction and learnt to make delicious gravy. However he also wouldn't touch any meat if it was served with a bone in it and unfortunately our daughter has inherited this - phobia ???

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:06 am

Oddly enough Nigella’s Recipe for the Day is Pasta with anchovies.

https://www.nigella.com/recipes/pasta-w ... s_20200430

Postby Renee » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:50 pm

Suffs wrote:So it’s not just me Renee :yum

I've just been through my cupboards and sadly no anchovies. :cry: I did find a small jar of Thai Taste Shrimp Paste that I'd forgotten about. Anchovies will be on my shopping list for next week.

Postby KeenCook2 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:04 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:When I was first married, I already knew my OH hated onions (which I love) and his mother said he only liked Oxo gravy :o So, if I wanted to include onion in any dish I just blitzed it as I discovered it was the texture he hated, rather than the taste. I also ignored MiL's instruction and learnt to make delicious gravy. However he also wouldn't touch any meat if it was served with a bone in it and unfortunately our daughter has inherited this - phobia ???

What a great idea! Now you mention it I think it might well have been the texture I didn't like, sort of slimy and slippery - but we're talking about 60 years ago so my memory is a drop hazy :lol:

I can't remember when I started eating them or what changed my mind. I'm not keen on them raw and tend to extract them if they come in a salad or ask for them to be left out in the first place.

Your daughter's reaction to not eating meat with a bone in it is a bit like not eating something that has a face, I guess ...??

Postby Loulou » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:17 pm

Just back from Waitrose. They have tubs of anchovies on the shelf near the hummus and olives etc and are currently on special offer. Can’t remember the exact price but seemed good value!

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox