Register

Anchovies

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Anchovies

Postby Gruney » Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:57 pm

You see, this is where they get you. I couldn't source any anchovy essence, so bought a small jar - anchovy fillets in EVOO. I've just looked at the storage information. "Once opened, cover in olive oil, refrigerate, and use within 3 days." I'm assuming, from earlier advice, that I can ignore the 3 days instruction?

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:12 pm

I´m an anchovy fan as well - love them on pizzas, on Salade Nicoise, in pasta sauces (putanesca, for example)- and especially in Pampy´s recipe with broccoli!
There´s a lovely little appetiser where you take half a red pepper, put two or three anchovies, a couple of black olives, a few capers and olive oil in the half, then bake it until it softens. Yummy.
Then there´s Jansson´s Temptation... :clap or if you´re an anchovy maniac, bagna cauda.
I just found a recipe in an old Italian cookbook I´ve got - Cabbage with anchovies and sausage. Sounds interesting.
If you buy them in tins, just put the remainder in a small jar, cover in oil and into the fridge, like others have recommended above. They do last for ages.

Postby Gruney » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:17 pm

I totally trust what I have been told - it makes the 3 day instruction so galling.

Postby Seatallan » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:18 pm

I love them too. I have a nice recipe for pork meatballs that includes a tin of finely chopped anchovies. Then you shallow-fry the meatballs in the anchovy oil before oven-baking them in stock. Lovely with noodles.
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:44 pm

Gruney, I think they have to say 3 days to cover their backs as they can't trust the public in general to keep them immersed in the oil and air free.

Anchovy toast .. :yum

Postby Gruney » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:52 pm

Aye. Thanks EM.

Postby Suffs » Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:03 pm

cherrytree wrote:Oh how I miss the old Burgess’s anchovy essence. There really isn’t anything like it. It was gorgeous on toast and for adding to things and can anyone else remember the writing on the label- sort of late 18th - early 19th century style? It was lovely.
Now I make do with little tins and in normal times a tube from Booths but as I’m trying to be responsible, a trip to Keswick is just not on.

I’ve got some in the cupboard ... use it lots
... a dash in a steak & kidney pie or pud, beef casserole or oxtail stew gives a real depth of flavour you can’t get in any other way ...
... ah, no I haven’t ... it’s this, same thing tho ... https://www.thomasridley.co.uk/geo-watk ... 01288.html and you can buy it on a**zon.

Love anchovies. :yum

Postby Lusciouslush » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:09 pm

yup, Burgess was the muts nuts all right...…….!!

Janson's temptation...………..yesssss!
Although the Norwegians do not use anchovy but a small herring-like fish with lots of spices. Still very yummy but different.

Postby Amyw » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:23 pm

Mutts nuts :clap :tongueout .

I love anchovies too . There’s also the classic slow cooked lamb with anchovies and rosemary . I love them on a seafood pizza with olives and tuna

Postby Gruney » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:31 pm

It was a seafood pizza I had in Skye, that put me off them,Amy - there were far too many, and they had an extremely strong taste. I like a background taste - but when it's the principal ingredient.

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:51 pm

Gruney wrote:You see, this is where they get you. I couldn't source any anchovy essence, so bought a small jar - anchovy fillets in EVOO. I've just looked at the storage information. "Once opened, cover in olive oil, refrigerate, and use within 3 days." I'm assuming, from earlier advice, that I can ignore the 3 days instruction?

I found some in a tiny souffle bowl at the back of the fridge that hadn't been covered and were some weeks old. The only thing wrong with them is that they were a bit dried out and crispy. We used them in a sauce and they were absolutely fine.

When we don't use the whole tin we always keep them in a bowl and covered with clingfilm. Have never had a problem.

As yours are in a jar, not a tin, Gruney, I'm pretty certain they'll be absolutely fine. When we used to get the small kilner jars at Carluccio's, or Lidl, when they have them, we have quite definitely kept them for a lot longer than 3 days!! I just wouldn't keep them in a tin but transfer them to something else.

Postby Gruney » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:05 pm

Thanks KC2.

Just in case anyone is interested, I will be doing the recipes from Diners Drive Ins and Dives - Season 22, Episode 2, from Tuscany - it's on line. It's the two from Collodi, I'll be making. I've already made the second one - the lamb dish - it's excellent, and I'll be repeating it on Wednesday. I'll be doing the first one, which involves the anchovies, tomorrow. The lamb dish really is rather good.

Postby Badger's Mate » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:24 pm

Another way to get a hint of anchovy into things repeatedly over a long period of time is to use Gentleman's Relish. I've rarely opened a pot earlier than its BBE date, never mind finished it.

Spread on toast before covering with scrambled eggs... :yum

Postby Lusciouslush » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:38 pm

And then there's fish sauce...……..not quite the same, but I do use a fair amount of it to add another 'layer'.

No good on toast tho' :mrgreen:

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:39 pm

You're welcome, Gruney :thumbsup

This is one of our all-time favourite pasta with anchovy recipes, from Jamie Oliver's Italy: https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food ... sta-237164

Edited to add that it's 100g breadcrumbs if you want to translate it from cups. Also it really is worth getting the right pasta, I recall we've been able to get it at Tesco in the past, one of their own brand pastas.
Last edited by KeenCook2 on Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lfoxr deactivated

Postby lfoxr deactivated » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:42 pm

real caesar salad has Anchovies in it
https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/classic-caesar-salad

Postby cherrytree » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:45 pm

Yes of course it does.

Postby Pampy » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:57 pm

lfoxr wrote:real caesar salad has Anchovies in it
https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/classic-caesar-salad

Who's said it doesn't?

Postby Pampy » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:00 pm

Oh yes - Janssen's Temptation - heaven in a dish! I have had to stop making it as (despite best intentions) I always finished the lot in one go. It's a dish that's impossible to save some for another time! I've never had it with the "proper" fish but with anchovies, it does me just fine.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:01 pm

Mr Strictly and I are relatively recent converts to anchovies. I first started buying them before we went to Italy for a holiday. Anyway, Matt Tebbutt is right. If you only need to use one or two fillets for a dish, the rest can be stored in a small jar. (a mustard one is ideal). Just make sure you cover the anchovies in oil. It's also worth using the oil you've stored them in once you've used the fish up. For everyday usage, I rely on good ol' Lea and Perrins as a reasonable substitute.

Mr Strictly in particular loves them on pizza!

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox