Register

What are you baking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What are you baking this week?

Postby MariaK » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:37 pm

Not much baking of late except Delia`s banana cake and a couple of crumbles including blackberry & apple as, oh miracle, were going for a very reasonable price at the Saturday market.

I need some urgent help Please.
I'd like to make Elizabeth David's flourless chocolate cake tomorrow, but have lost her French Provincial book. Did a Google but all the recipes have been tampered with & I don't want to experiment as it's for neighbours coming for lunch on Wednesday.
I did find this ingredients list .- Jill Dupleix from the Times which from memory sounds about right. I have all the ingredients

200 g dark bitter chocolate
150g caster sugar
150 g butter
100 g ground almonds
4 eggs separated

Can't access the method but from memory it's :

Melt chopped chocolate, butter & sugar in double boiler

Add ground almonds

When cool add beaten yolks one by one and beat well,

Beat whites and fold in gently

Bake in 20 cm greased / lined spring form mould -

Oven temp - 180ºC / Fan 160ºC - for 40- 50 minutes??

If someone could confirm / correct errors I'd be eternally grateful.

A crumble would've been much easier but one of the neighbours won't eat fruit

Merci d'avance -

Marja

Postby Linnet » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:36 pm

My 1964 Penguin copy gives the following:

4oz bitter chocolate
3oz each of butter, caster sugar, ground almonds
3 eggs
1 tablesp each of rum or brandy and black coffee

Break choc into small pieces and melt with the rum and coffee in a cool oven. Stir well, put it with the butter, sugar and almonds in a saucepan and stir over low heat for a few mins until all blended smoothly. Off the heat, stir in the well-beaten egg yolks, then fold in stiffly beaten whites. Turn into buttered shallow tin 7-8 ins diam, or tart tin with removable base. Stand it on a baking sheet and cook at 290°F for about 45 mins.

As I say, this is from 1964 (original was 1960 it says in the front) so ounces and Fahrenheit, but I hope it helps!

Postby MariaK » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:25 am

Linnet

Thank you so much- you've saved the day.
My Penguin copy was a bit later - acquired in 1968 - but still in ounces & Fahrenheit. Easily converted to metric & Centigrade. I'd forgotten about the rum & coffee.

Merci encore

Marja

Postby Linnet » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:06 am

Glad to help! :)

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:52 pm

Curious! My Penguin copy doesn't have it at all - just a normal with-flour version. I'm afraid it replaced our original as it was almost beyond use any longer, and we got rid of it.
On the other hand, I daresay it may work substituting ground almonds for flour, as in the list of ingredients you found, MariaK.

Great that Linnet had the real thing :thumbsup

Postby Amyw » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:03 pm

Made an apple tart at work today including creme patisserie and my own pastry *polishes halo*

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:37 pm

:clap :clap :yum :yum
Looks stunning, Amyw!

What apples did you use?

I made a batch of ginger biscuits for the first time ever today, using a Paul Hollywood BBC recipe recommended by a friend. They are very successful! I tend to go in for bite size bakes rather than huge ones so got 59 little cookies from 100g marge, 75g sugar, 75g golden syrup, 200g s-r flour and 2 tsp ground ginger:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/paul ... nger_72428

Postby Amyw » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:21 pm

Thanks KeenCook2, I used Braeburn apples .. on a 72 hour shift at work , so already made the tart , cheesecake brownies and a chicken casserole with dumplings for tomorrow .

I bet those biscuits smelled amazing baking . Handy they can be made vegan too

Postby Hope » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:59 pm

"We" (although primarily my 8-y-o son) made a vicky sarnie/Victoria Sandwich/jam cake today... (gluten free and vegan). He did most of it because I'm having a day of needing to rest.

When I turned out the first tin, it ended up in several pieces (this was after leaving it to cool for a while anyway). Left the other for about 15 mins and it turned out fine. Do they turn out better if you leave them for longer? or is this just a coincidence?

Now I have to stick the first piece back together with jam and willpower!

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:19 pm

That tart looks delicious AmyW. I have bought too many red apples (to get extra Nectar points :oops:) so it looks particularly tempting!

Hope, it's one of those things I think although there's probably a scientific reason and they do need to cool a bit. I would line the bottom of the tin or use a loose bottomed one or one with a thing on it which circles the bottom before you turn it out (do they have a name?).

Postby Hope » Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:35 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:Hope, it's one of those things I think although there's probably a scientific reason and they do need to cool a bit. I would line the bottom of the tin or use a loose bottomed one or one with a thing on it which circles the bottom before you turn it out (do they have a name?).

it is a loose bottom tin and lined with a reuseable silicone circle. but the cake is so crumble it just all fell apart! I think I'll need to put a spoon in their lunchboxes!

Postby Amyw » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:33 pm

Thanks EM it’s just a shortcrust base , creme patisserie which I added a little cinnamon to , then I glazed the apples with apricot jam .

Hope aren’t GF baked more crumbly by nature ? Sure I read this somewhere . Lovely your sons into baking

Postby jeral » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:29 pm

Hope, is there any xanthan gum in the flour? It helps stop g-f and vegan things crumble, their having no binder from gluten or egg.
In Jamie's recipe, he adds some, but his flour might have had none:
https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/fru ... ia-sponge/

The other thing might be to run a long strip of baking parchment under the cake mix and up and over the sides, then use it as handles to lift the cake out once cooled.

Other binders work, like mashed banana or strained stewed-down cooking apple, grated carrot or courgette, hence often seen in g-f and vegan moist cakes. Mango pulp in tins is easily found (where I am at least, or Ocado "Patak's" brand).

Postby Hope » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:48 am

Amy, Jeral: my flour has xanthan gum in. I did try adding more, but then it made the cake texture gummy and weird. I don't know why this one came out particularly crumbly, but yes GF cakes tend to be more crumbly, vegan ones even more so. We've made this cake so many times. Sometimes it's ok, sometimes not! I don't know why. It turned out beautifully once, but I can't remember what we did!

I suspect, as it's so delicate, that baking parchment underneath it would just make it fall apart!

I might try with some different flours next time.

I have used stewed apple in the past, but the cake ended up really soggy.

Boys have a spoon and a pot of cake crumbs in their lunch!

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:50 pm

Hope wrote:Boys have a spoon and a pot of cake crumbs in their lunch!

Lovely idea - I'm sure they'll enjoy it a lot :thumbsup

What is so odd, Hope, is that one half turned out fine and the other half didn't ... My experience of baking with g-f flour is limited to one apple crumble! Which was fine!

Postby Hope » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:42 pm

KeenCook2 wrote:
Hope wrote:Boys have a spoon and a pot of cake crumbs in their lunch!

Lovely idea - I'm sure they'll enjoy it a lot :thumbsup

What is so odd, Hope, is that one half turned out fine and the other half didn't ... My experience of baking with g-f flour is limited to one apple crumble! Which was fine!

it did end up all crumbling in the end. Very nice with some coconut yoghurt and frozen berries, though! No cake need be wasted!

Postby cherrytree » Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:46 pm

Yesterday I made a tarte Tatin with the rest of the Katy apple windfalls. I used Felicity Cloake’s recipe and I must modestly say that it was a triumph.
Today I’ve made Nigella Lawson’s Old English Chocolate Cake. I always make that chocolate cake now and was saying to my husband that probably all keen cake makers swear by their favourite recipe.

Postby slimpersoninside » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:48 pm

I usually make Michael Barry's chocolate cake but I noticed we have a tub of soured cream that needs using up, think I'll give Nigella's a whirl - obviously on your recommendation cherrytree ;) :D .

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:31 pm

I made the Nigella cake for DD's birthday recently. It was lovely. I didn't use anything like the amount of filling/ icing the recipe made but it was still plenty.

I really love tarte tatin - just the thing to use the excess apples in my possession at the moment :yum.

Postby slimpersoninside » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:57 pm

I made the cake today. It is nice but I prefer the Michael Barry one. I made two thirds of the icing as I didn't want to coat the sides, it was still too much. I prefer this icing to my usual chocolate buttercream.

So, next time I make a chocolate cake (not very often, chocolate isn't my favourite) it'll be M.B's cake and Nigella's icing.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox