Register

What are you baking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What are you baking this week?

Postby ChinchillaLady » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:19 pm

You can add 2 tablespoons of caster sugar with no ill effects.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:02 pm

That looks lovely Herbi! I might try a crumble with my mulberries this year, I've still got jelly left over from last year :oops:.

Sakkarin/Pat - saw the recipe as well as the lovely scone. Still not an egg in sight (what do they know at Buckingham Palace!). I noticed the oven temp on the second reading - I don't think I usually set it quite that high. Whilst I am usually happy with my scones I wonder if that makes a difference to the rise too.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:15 pm

Great to see your notes, Sakk! I always had a feeling my scones were too heavy because of overworking - I have only ever made them in the magimix as my hands won't let me rub in or knead etc.

Herbi, that looks delish :yum
I always make crumble in the magimix, at least the part that rubs in the flour and butter. When I add oats or muesli I stir them in with the sugar so they don't get blitzed and keep some of their shape.

Apple crumble is on the menu again this week as I have some rather interesting cooking apples from my tesco delivery - when I ordered cooking apples I assumed they'd be Bramleys, but they're Jonagold I think - at any rate, not a name I've ever associated with cooking apples. They are huge and rosy.

The last crumble I made I added a couple of handfuls of mixed fruit and the bits of peel really added a great burst of flavour. It was the Tesco one with cranberries as well, and they were good too. I often use frozen berries anyway as I don't have the luxury of growing my own!

Postby Badger's Mate » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:17 pm

I use Delia's recipe for scones, it has always worked for me. There will be another batch on the go soon, we've just had a delivery of clotted cream :yum

Postby PatsyMFagan » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:24 am

Badger's Mate wrote:I use Delia's recipe for scones, it has always worked for me. There will be another batch on the go soon, we've just had a delivery of clotted cream :yum

:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Yesterday it was pear and blackberry crumble using white and WM flour with a large spoon of oats in the mix. :yum :yum :yum .. hard to not finish the lot off by the end of the day :o

Postby herbidacious » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:59 am

Curiously, the loganberries went slightly floral in falvour when cooked.

Postby Suffs » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:04 pm

My go to scone recipe is taken from Tamasin Day-Lewis's Kitchen Bible ...

450g/1lb plain flour
1/2 tsp salt
55-85g/2-3ozs unsalted butter
2 level tsp bicarbonate of soda and
2 level tsp cream of tartar with
300ml/10fl oz soured cream or buttermilk

Preheat oven of 220C/425F/Gas 7.
Sift the flour and salt into a bowl.
Cut butter into little pieces and rub into the flour.
Sift in the bicarb and cream of tartar and mix well.
Add the soured cream or buttermilk and mix lightly into a spongy dough.
Knead lightly to make the dough smooth and roll out to 1-2 cm/ half - threequarter inch thick. (I prefer to make them quite thick.)
Cut with a 5cm/2inch cutter and leave to stand for 10 mins.
Brush with egg or milk (I use milk) if you wish before placing on a greased baking sheet in the middle of the oven. Cook for about 10 mins before cooling.

It's the one I posted on Wildfood a while ago. It makes really light and fluffy scones, just like with a West Country cream tea :yum

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:16 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:I noticed the oven temp on the second reading - I don't think I usually set it quite that high.

I hadn't noticed that! Gas mark 7!

I've settled on 180, my current (fan) oven is very hot - maybe I'll do the next batch at 220 and see what happens. Maybe it'll blow up so huge I'll have difficulty getting it out of the oven...

Postby Suffs » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:31 pm

OH is having the last third of yesterday's moussaka for supper ... the intention was that we would have half yesterday and half today :oops: .... so I've made an Onion, cheddar and sage quiche ... I can have some of this with a salad for supper and there'll be plenty left for our lunch tomorrow ........... won't there? :?

onion, cheese and sage quiche.jpg

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:57 pm

Another beautiful quiche, Suffs!
I don´t think there´ll be much left over for tomorrow.You´ll just have to make more salad!

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:29 pm

Sakkarin wrote:
Earthmaiden wrote:I noticed the oven temp on the second reading - I don't think I usually set it quite that high.

I hadn't noticed that! Gas mark 7!

I've settled on 180, my current (fan) oven is very hot - maybe I'll do the next batch at 220 and see what happens. Maybe it'll blow up so huge I'll have difficulty getting it out of the oven...

I noticed that Suffs shared her scone recipe again which I have used before. I was interested to see that it said 425F or gas mark 7. Yours said 450F or gas mark 7 (which, taken literally is 232C). I'll be interested to see how yours turn out!

Lovely quiche Suffs :yum :yum. OH may be a tad jealous!

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:55 pm

Banana and cinnamon flapjacks, allegedly "healthy" as no refined sugar - a couple of squidgy bananas and a couple of tbs of honey for sweetening.
Very soft, but delicious.
Attachments
Banana and cinnamon flapjacks.jpg
Banana and cinnamon flapjacks.jpg (259 KiB) Viewed 6736 times

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:33 pm

Lovely!

I'm treading a similar path later, a real special "tray" treat, the Hummingbird Bakery book muesli bars, but unfortunately it's banned from this thread as it's no-bake. Everything's weighed out, I've just got lots of chopping to do :-(

I think this no-knead loaf I just made deserves a mention here though, gorgeously crispy crust but soft inside.

3:2 hydration, 25% wholemeal plus a tablespoonful of caraway seeds to liven it up.

Postby smitch » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:38 pm

I think if it is a recipe from a bakery book then it does belong on this thread!

Postby scullion » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:20 pm

agree, especially if you share the recipe!

my partner baked bread and i made bread pudding this afternoon, both baked in (different types of) solar cookers.

Postby aero280 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:45 pm

I have just made a couple of dozen spelt and walnut biscuits from a recipe on Dove's Farm website. Strangely the recipe was featured on the home page, but they aren't selling spelt flour at the moment...

The biscuits are advertised as being "less sweet", and they are. I may try them again, but this lot were over cooked. The recipe says 170ºC fan for 10-12 mins. I checked at 10 mins and they were "well done". I found out afterwards that I had set it to 180... :oops: :oops:

https://www.dovesfarm.co.uk/recipes/walnut-cookies

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:15 pm

OK then - Hummingbird Bakery Muesli Bars:

My changes (minimal) - no light soft brown sugar in the shops, so used 50/50 light brown demerera/soft dark brown, so they're slightly darker than my last batch (ten years ago!). The oats were rather too finely milled for me, very powdery (tesco economy), I'd prefer bigger oat flakes. Also I used pumpkin seeds instead of sunflower seeds as I did the first time I made them, but as my teeth ain't what they used to be, I think I will actually use sunflower if I make them again. Fab coincidence that Tesco were selling dried cranberries at £1 for 150g (see "Bargain Basement").

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:59 pm

Oooooh, they look really yummy!!! :yum :yum

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:05 pm

Unfortunately 9000 calories per slice.

I've managed to only have the one today, I ate six yesterday. :-(

EDIT: Worked out 28.5p each.

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:57 pm

Sakkarin wrote:Unfortunately 9000 calories per slice.

:o they do look nice. Full of very nice things :yum. For some reason, although nothing remotely like them, they've reminded me of Kellogg's Flaky Bars, a very sweet recipe my mother got off the side of a cornflake box. I have a yearning to make them now.

KC2 - love the look of your flapjack too.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox