Register

What are you baking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What are you baking this week?

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed May 06, 2020 7:11 pm

I meant to take a pic with the burger in situ but was feeling hungry so didn’t
Yes, perfect size for a nice juicy quarter pounder

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Wed May 06, 2020 7:49 pm

There’s a savoury loaf we’ve made before using oil, white wine, olives, cheese, spring onions and ham in the mix. OH mentioned it today so we will hunt out the recipe so we can make it for a garden picnic on Friday.

Postby slimpersoninside » Wed May 06, 2020 8:57 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:I meant to take a pic with the burger in situ but was feeling hungry so didn’t
Yes, perfect size for a nice juicy quarter pounder

Cheers Sue!

Postby PatsyMFagan » Wed May 06, 2020 9:48 pm

I made another loaf today ... I knew I had various different kinds of flour in the back of the cupboard, so thought I would throw them all in. This mix included about a tablespoon of buckwheat, a cup of spelt, the remains of the strong white (only a couple of tablespoons), some blitzed oats and made up to 16 ozs with ordinary plain. This mix with a sachet of instant yeast, warm water, salt, sugar resulted in a very lively dough .. so lively that before I could get it in the oven it had overproved and started to collapse. However, it baked OK and the result is a very tasty loaf. Another success :yum :clap :thumbsup

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed May 06, 2020 9:56 pm

I fully intended to make some bread AND a quiche today. But I just couldn´t be bothered. Oh dear! Pulled some pizza dough from the fridge, and that was that.
Never mind - the quiche will be on the menu for tomorrow.
The bread - I´ve got a neighbour who´s making some, and that´ll resolve that problem!

Postby Seatallan » Thu May 07, 2020 3:14 pm

Lovely neighbour gave me some fresh yeast so I've made a batch of pikelets. Mr S is very partial to them.... :D
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby dennispc » Thu May 07, 2020 4:38 pm

garlic bread.jpg

Garlic bread. Richard Bertinet recipe, adding oven dried tomatoes and roasted garlic cloves. Should've have basil leaves but had to use fennel fronds instead.

His method suggests making a window on the top of each loaf, in order to see the tomatoes and garlic inside. Obviously I didn't do that.

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu May 07, 2020 5:10 pm

Oh :yum my! That looks delicious dennispc!

I made some gorgeous biscuity things yesterday from a recipe cut from 'The Lady' over 10 years ago, which I've never tried. A bit along the lines of Millionaire's Shortbread really. A biscuit base with a topping of a buttery/sugary soft caramel/toffee to which flaked almonds are added. Very sweet so you only want a bit at a time, but very good. The method given was to line a tin with the biscuit mix, then top with the nutty caramel made in a saucepan and then bake together. I think if I did it again I would try baking the biscuit separately and just leave the caramel in the saucepan a bit longer and pour it over afterwards before leaving to set.

Postby Renee » Thu May 07, 2020 5:57 pm

Your garlic bread looks fabulous Dennis! Waitrose has bread from the Bertinet Bakery.

https://bertinetbakery.com/bread/

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu May 07, 2020 6:03 pm

The shortage may be easing - I went to Morrison’s today, they have had a massive delivery of McDougall’s flour in 1.5 kg packs, plain and SR :thumbsup

Postby halfateabag » Fri May 08, 2020 11:29 am

Yesterday I 'lit' my oven and baked a pineapple upside-down cake, this recipe with a few tweaks....https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/o ... am-charles I used slices of crystallised orange chopped up instead of the cut peel as I did not have any. It turned out very well and tasty. Also did not have Guinness so added 80 mil of white rum..... While oven was on used some lorne slices with puff pastry for 'flat' sausage rolls, they worked well as well. A late lunch of monkfish tail with herb pesto in the middle and wrapped in prosciutto together with some green beans & leek rounded it all off.

Postby smitch » Fri May 08, 2020 7:30 pm

Just baked a batch of cheese scones based on Felicity’s Guardian article https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2016/oct/06/how-to-make-the-perfect-cheese-scones

I used a mixture of extra mature cheddar and some sheeps’ milk cheese I got in a mystery box online. I used chopped parsley instead of chives, added spicy smoked paprika instead of mustard and also chucked in some chopped sun blush tomatoes that needed using up. Really, really good, would definitely do those tweaks again

Postby PatsyMFagan » Fri May 08, 2020 9:32 pm

They sound lovely Smitch :thumbsup

I made Spinach and cheese muffins from the Hummingbird Bakery cookbook today, with mixed feelings .. I had to add more milk to the mix that was so stiff, I had a job mixing it with my electric hand whisk as instructed and adding the baby spinach leaves was almost impossible :roll: So, not sure how they should have turned out - they are a bit chewy, but nice taste.

I also made pastry using some leftover potatoes (using a recipe). I remember in the early days of Masterchef, that one of the winners (it wasn't Joan) made a lovely pie and I had made it a few times, but that was years ago .. I was pleased how it turned out - the potatoes made a soft, chewy pastry, but not tough.

Postby Badger's Mate » Sat May 09, 2020 12:04 am

Had a go at the Betty's tea loaf today. In the flour shortage we'd been given a bag of rice flour.There were just enough dates and no sultanas in the cupboard but a packet of raisins instead. It was pleasant enough, the batter was quite runny so the fruit was concentrated in the lower half, but that didn't matter too much. We had a couple of slices buttered with our tea as we sat in the front garden this afternoon. I'd make it again if I had a few dates to use up. They're generally bought to make STP, there can be spares at this time of year.

Postby ZeroCook » Sat May 09, 2020 5:23 pm

Sakkarin wrote:If you can't find Strong Flour, Tesco's "Stockwell" plain flour (45p for 1.5 kg) makes excellent bread, with a protein level of 10%. I currently have a pack of their their normal plain flour (60p - they were out od Stockwell), which has slightly less protein at 9.9%, but that still seems plenty to make bread. I'll make a test batch today and post a pic. I've also been augmenting my bread with 20% Atta flour recently, and to be honest I prefer it, as it is tastier than plain white bread.

Lidl's plain flour does the job too.

I had read about adding vital wheat gluten to flour on the King Arthur flour site a few years ago, never tried it tho. Recently got a very (very) large bag of 12% flour which is a good all round flour and decided to get some vital wheat gluten for when I need a bit of extra oomph. 1 teaspoon has about 1.75g of protein/gluten so used 3 tsp to bring 500g 12% flour to around 13%. Worked well in my first test.

Postby Uschi » Fri May 15, 2020 12:30 am

I held a bake-athon today. I started a seedy brown bread and a fluffy breakfast loaf with dried apricots, figs and orange peel.
And to make the best use of the hot oven I also made ginger biscuits.
The biscuits worked well, although some are a bit dark, the breakfast loaf is lovely and the brown bread looks OK, but I've not yet tried it.

Postby Rainbow » Fri May 15, 2020 2:03 am

Uschi wrote:I held a bake-athon today. I started a seedy brown bread and a fluffy breakfast loaf with dried apricots, figs and orange peel.
And to make the best use of the hot oven I also made ginger biscuits.
The biscuits worked well, although some are a bit dark, the breakfast loaf is lovely and the brown bread looks OK, but I've not yet tried it.

Your breakfast loaf sounds good, Uschi.
Can you post the recipe, please?

Postby Uschi » Fri May 15, 2020 11:46 am

Rainbow wrote:Your breakfast loaf sounds good, Uschi.
Can you post the recipe, please?

Ouch, Rainbow, you got me there. It was a case of having these soft dried fruit and a few other things that should have gone into the Easter loaf sitting about and needing using up.

The basic recipe calls for 500 g of plain flour (and enough yeast for the 500 g of flour), 250 ml of liquid (I mixed some creme fraiche with water) with a teaspoon of honey or sugar, pinch of salt, sugar to taste, 2-3 tblsp oil or butter.

1 egg and slosh of cream for egg wash.

As for the non-essential things:
I used sunflower-oil instead of butter, then chucked in a good handful of mixed and diced dried figs and apricots (soft dried - I would have let them soak in water a bit otherwise), a small handful of orange peel and a handful of chopped almonds.
I also leftover lemon and orange zest, so they went in as well, and a hint of cinnamon, vanilla with a drop of rum aroma.

Mix the warm, but not hot liquid with honey or sugar and add the live yeast (for dried yeast, use according to satchet) and a little flour. Allow this to "breed" for a while.
Mix flour, salt and other ingredients, except butter/oil and then add the liquid/yeast mix and oil and knead well. Leave in a warm place until well-risen. Then knead again and place in a tin. Allow to rise again, then give it an egg wash and bake at 180 - 200 °C.
The recipe said for 35 minutes ... I had to cover it after a quarter of an hour as it had browned nicely, but in the end it spent nearly an hour in the oven.

Postby Badger's Mate » Fri May 15, 2020 3:39 pm

We've managed to get a couple of bags of SR flour recently, I made a batch of scones yesterday. With malice aforethought I had organised a tub of clotted cream on the last delivery, really nice with HM blackcurrant jam. :yum

Postby slimpersoninside » Sat May 16, 2020 6:05 pm

Today I baked Brownie Crinkle cookies. They are really good, if you like brownies of course. They are a brownie in cookie form.

P1001546 1.jpg
P1001546 1.jpg (360.69 KiB) Viewed 8870 times

Brownie Crinkle Cookies — The Boy Who Bakes
https://www.theboywhobakes.co.uk/recipe ... wsc4usi7ss

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox