Register

What are you baking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What are you baking this week?

Postby Amyw » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:15 am

Thank you Pampy . Yes me and the other lady are due our last covid test results today and as long as they’re negative , I can finish Saturday which will be 13 twenty four hour shifts back to back with no respite !!! Definitely a large gin or two on Saturday

Postby Busybee » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:06 pm

Well done Amy, you will deserve a huge gin by Saturday.

BB

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:04 pm

Fingers crossed Amy! :crossed. Your pud looks lovely.

Wonderful Simnel cake, aero.

Postby Amyw » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:48 pm

Thank you I will let you all know , your simnel cake looks lovely aero

Postby Gruney2 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:19 pm

Tomorrow, I will be making Uschi's Grossmutter Schlupfkuchen - from the old Beeb boards.

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:45 pm

They look great Amy and Aero. Gosh, hope you get some well deserved down time over the weekend Amy!

We are making an apple tarte tatin over the weekend and some rhubarb crumble muffins.

Postby slimpersoninside » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:33 pm

I baked some Hot Cross Buns today. The dough was made yesterday, given a first rise and the buns formed and put in the fridge on their baking tray to retard the second rise. They were removed from the fridge this morning, brought back up to room temperature and allowed to rise before baking.

I don't usually make HCB's we usually buy a pack from the supermarket. Our shopping was delivered Tuesday of last week so we didn't buy any buns as they would have been well and truely stale by now! The only option was to give making some a go. I used Delia's recipe, made the dough a bit wetter and added a bit more friut (I would add even more next time). They are rather nice even if I say so myself. If I were making just for me I would add a touch more spice, but hubby thought them just right.

I think I may have added a cooking tradition!

Here are the beasts. I piped the crosses on, some are a bit wonky but they did improve as I went along.

P1004762 1.jpg
P1004762 1.jpg (307.6 KiB) Viewed 3842 times

Postby aero280 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:28 pm

I made some "Cornish Saffron Buns" and put a pastry cross on them, so I suppose that they are technically HCBs. It's the first time that I've done these in this oven. They are fine inside, and light, but a bit dark on top. The recipe said "Makes 12". They are huge, I could only get 6 in the cooling rack. Next time I'll make 16 from the batch. I had a jar of quince jelly for the glaze.

Postby Rainbow » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:04 am

slimpersoninside wrote:I don't usually make HCB's we usually buy a pack from the supermarket. Our shopping was delivered Tuesday of last week so we didn't buy any buns as they would have been well and truely stale by now! The only option was to give making some a go.

I just buy a packet whenever I am shopping and freeze them! I did think of making some this year but took the easy way out :lol:

Postby scullion » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:26 pm

aero280 wrote:The recipe said "Makes 12". They are huge, I could only get 6 in the cooling rack. Next time I'll make 16 from the batch.

sounds like they should have been described as 'tea treat buns' rather than ordinary saffron buns.

Postby aero280 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:25 pm

That's about right! They are the size of teacakes, but taller.

Postby slimpersoninside » Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:48 pm

Rainbow wrote:
slimpersoninside wrote:I don't usually make HCB's we usually buy a pack from the supermarket. Our shopping was delivered Tuesday of last week so we didn't buy any buns as they would have been well and truely stale by now! The only option was to give making some a go.

I just buy a packet whenever I am shopping and freeze them! I did think of making some this year but took the easy way out :lol:

Part of me wishes I'd thought of doing that but I did enjoy making & baking something I hadn't done before :thumbsup . I also have enough HCB's to make a HCB bread and butter pudding for dessert tomorrow :woohoo:

Postby Suffs » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:37 pm

Cherry and Choc Chip Oat Cookies.JPG

I've just made a batch of Cherry & Choc Chip Oat Cookies from this recipe https://baketheneat.com/cherry-chocolat ... l-cookies/

I've tested one (well you have to don't you? ... it's part of the job), and it tasted very good indeed, crisp around the edges and just a bit chewy in the middle ... but I'll let you have the expert's opinion tomorrow ... he's at work today ...

Postby slimpersoninside » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:22 pm

Ooooh, they look nice Suffs......what did you say your address is?? :D .

Postby Pampy » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:34 pm

Can you pick me up on the way? :lol:

Postby Amyw » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:12 pm

They look lovely . I’ve never been fussed by shop bought biscuits , but I always think homemade ones are very special

Postby Binky » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:02 pm

The HCB and cookies look scrummy.

We are baking lemon drizzle traybake today, with a recipe from Mary Berry and I have concocted a bread-and-croissant pudding after finding stray slices of bread and a couple of croissants in the freezer. If they come out decent I will take a pic and post later.

Edit: that is a ghastly photo of bread/croissant pudding, but I have tasted it in all it's custardy, nutmeggy deliciousness and it's very good.

second edit: the photo has disappeared. What's going on at PostImages?

Postby aero280 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:52 am

I had a bit of a disaster this evening. I tried an apple tart. It was labelled as a Somerset tart and was a pastry flan base, blind baked, then sliced apples and an egg custard poured over it before the whole lot was baked. It looked OK at first sight, but the custard has split an it's ended up with the apples in a pool of liquid. :(

Probably put it in the compost tomorrow. It looks OK(ish) from a distance, but it's not.

Postby ZeroCook » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:23 am

Win some lose some as they say, aero - can't broaden the repertoire without the occasional setback and glad you posted about it! Must be a disaster if it's headed for the compost :lol: I've had a fair few disasters trying totally new or different recipes that are not similar to anything I've made. I had a terrible result a while back from a Claudia Roden apple and walnut cake recipe which really surprised me as she's usually so spot on.

Most recently - another ricotta cake. Always good and not heavy or very sweet. Old t&t'ed Italian recipe from Nick Stellino.

Possible plans for a vegetable tart, torta di vegetali, a favourite that I haven't made in an age.

Postby herbidacious » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:45 am

I made the rhubarb and orange cake recommended by Suelle on the rhubarb thread. (I still have loads of rhubarb to use up :o )

It didn't go smoothly - once again I am struck by the radical difference experience makes when it comes to cooking/baking. We forget how much we use our knowledge while cooking - adjusting things without thinking if they don't seem or taste quite right. I don't have this knowledge when it comes to cake making. (It also take me ages to make simple things!)
Two things went slightly awry. Firstly, the rhubarb did not develop 'sugary juices' even after an hour. But I guess this didn't matter much.
Secondly, the cake started to brown on top while remaining uncooked inside. I ended up baking it for an hour and ten (with parchment on the top) and it's still a bit gooey. (No way I could cut and pick up a slice.) It didn't rise much. Not sure if it was supposed to, and that doesn't matter either.
I baked it in a fan oven, and the recipe didn't give a fan setting, so may have had it on too high. I suspect the oven might be a little hotter than it should be too. Will check this properly in due course. (A digital oven thermometer would be useful.) This would explain partly why 140C fan seems a good temperature to cook most savoury things at.

This all said it is very nice indeed. I really like the texture of the flaked almonds on top (I put loads on). It looked alright if maybe not really quite instagrammable!

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox