Register

What are you baking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What are you baking this week?

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:37 pm

This week's bake was a gooseberry tart, made with a crème fraîche custard. The recipe was from a James Martin book. I've made it loads of times, usually either with the new season goosegogs or to use up the freezer stock.

Postby Amyw » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:04 pm

It didn’t actually involve any baking at all but felt most appropriate to go in here . Base was a little too crumbly and you only need the smallest portion but I was very impressed - millionaire cheesecake

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:48 pm

Every since I cam back from Ireland I've been meaning to try to recreate the "brown bread" served at the hotel I stayed in
I found a recipe that seemed likely, I was a bit surprised by the amount of egg, but having some home made yogurt which had soured but not thickened at all, it seemed a good time to use it in place of buttermilk or sour milk

This is the recipe, I included the optional treacle as I was sure it had been used in Clonakilty
http://www.nationalbreadweek.ie/irish-b ... own-bread/

The end result was nice, but a little different to the one I had in Ireland
Edited to add that it was made Friday evening, cut and photographed for Saturday breakfast, cut again on Sunday when it had matured like fruit cake, was much nicer and more like the West Cork version. Very different from ordinary bread

Postby MagicMarmite » Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:43 pm

I didnt get the recipe, or a proper photo but daughter and her boyfriend made a peanut butter and jelly bakewell tart this week.

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:13 pm

That sounds 'interesting' MM! I'm trying to work out what went where!

Amy and Sue, both your offerings look lovely. I was surprised at the egg too, when I read your recipe Sue. With added treacle it's almost a kind of gingerbread (the cakey sort) without the spices.

I'm trying to stop baking now. my figure is suffering. The dark gingerbread I made last week was lovely. This week I've made Nigella's coffee ice cream as mentioned on the dried milk thread. That won't enhance my figure either but it will be eaten sparingly over a period of time.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:24 pm

It definitely has more of a bread than a cake texture - it’s not soft like gingerbread, and of course it’s not really sweet either

But it doesn’t have the crumbly texture of plain scones or the plain white soda bread either, it slices well

Postby Earthmaiden » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:32 pm

I want to try it now!

Postby Badger's Mate » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:48 am

This weekend I made a batch of choc chip cookies using up a bar and a half of cooking chocolate that I found at the back of the cupboard. I've made it before with white chocolate but this was one bar of milk and half of dark.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/user/23650/ ... ies-recipe

Half the dough was baked and the rest is wrapped in the fridge. I expect I'll freeze it, that has worked perfectly well before and makes a handy standby if you've got the freezer space :D

There are some less old bars in the cupboard and definitely some chestnuts in the freezer, I shall make another favourite, the HF-W truffle cake, ere long

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/6464/hug ... -cake.aspx

Postby PatsyMFagan » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:12 am

I made this on Saturday - first for me. Unusually, daughter loved it as it wasn't too sweet. Half of it went to the neighbours so that I didn't have to stuff myself with it :roll: :thumbsup :yum

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/lus ... cheesecake

It lists the zest of 3 lemons and I only had 2 left, so I don't know if that was why it didn't have a strong lemon flavour that would have been more to my taste. Then too late I wondered if I could have added some citric acid that I had bought some time ago and never found a use for :roll: :oops:

Postby Rainbow » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:23 am

PatsyMFagan wrote:I made this on Saturday - first for me. Unusually, daughter loved it as it wasn't too sweet. Half of it went to the neighbours so that I didn't have to stuff myself with it :roll: :thumbsup :yum

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/lus ... cheesecake

Your neighbours must love you - sharing such delicious sounding food :thumbsup

Postby PatsyMFagan » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:29 am

Rainbow, I get my fix by baking, but usually end up eating most of it myself :thumbsup I am a bit frustrated that daughter doesn't want to share much of what I make. She only eats minced beef or chicken breasts, so I can't even get my kicks from cooking something for her. :roll: :(

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:19 am

Shame you're not nearer Patsy, I'd happily share that! Exactly the sort of cheesecake I adore :yum.

Postby Gruney2 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:18 pm

I've just made a load of "parlies" - they're Scottish - a cross between a cake and a biscuit. I bought a book of Scottish recipes when I was last on Skye, and am gradually dipping in. The proper name for them is "Parliament Cakes". We'll see how they turn out.

Postby Gruney2 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:16 pm

They're great!

Postby KeenCook2 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:27 pm

Gruney2 wrote:They're great!

:thumbsup :thumbsup Enjoy :lol:

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:51 pm

I had to look them up. They look lovely, I like that kind of cake.

Postby slimpersoninside » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:32 pm

I looked them up too.....they seem to have crept on my to be tried list :oops: .

Postby slimpersoninside » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:18 pm

I came across a slightly out of date pack of Wright's Ciabatta bread mix on the storage shelf. Not knowing if it would be defunct I didn't want to rely on it come mealtime. I decided to make it as dough in the breadmaker, divided it up, chucked into tins and baked just shy of fully cooked. The 3 resulting loaves will be frozen, to be dedefrosted and slathered with flavoured butter or olive oil and salt and shoved in the oven when needed to go with a meal. Ciabatta come Focaccia style.
Attachments
P1001580 1.jpg
P1001580 1.jpg (192.11 KiB) Viewed 6551 times

Postby slimpersoninside » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:30 pm

I finally got time to make some Brioche Burger Buns, recipe posted in this thread by StokeySue.

Alas I have no sesame seeds so they are naked and are lacking a bit in eggwash (my pastry brush is rubbish and I didn't want to be too rough and deflate them). They look lovely and the crumb appears nice and soft. For the record I made the dough in the bread machine (Panasonic, brioche dough programme).

When I mentioned to hubby I was planning to make them today he said burgers for dinner, I declined incase they were a disaster - really wish I'd gone along with him now :lol: .

Thanks for the recipe Sue, they're a keeper. Good burger buns are really hard to find around here!
Attachments
P1001590 1.jpg
P1001590 1.jpg (186.58 KiB) Viewed 6499 times

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:31 pm

they look lovely!! :yum

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox