Register

What are you baking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What are you baking this week?

Postby PatsyMFagan » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:42 pm

As well as bread, I also baked my Mum's Tea Bread for daughter to take to work for her next 3 day shift .. That one is always a winner.

I also had a go at steaming some mini orange puddings ... I found this recipe while watching one of Kirsty Allsop's programmes about preparing for Christmas (it irritates me that she seems so hopeless/helpless, so gets the experts in to show her how to do it) . Her guest was a GBBO finalist. The idea was to use up leftover HM cranberry sauce. The recipe was 125g each of SR flour, butter and sugar whizzed up with 2 eggs and the zest and juice of an orange. 6 ramakins were greased, a spoon of cranberry sauce put in the bottom, then the mixture divided between them. Then steamed in a bain-marie in an oven for 25 minutes and served with custard.

I decided to try these steamed in my Instant Pot (I thought it would save the cost of heating up the oven)... I also used marmalade instead of cranberry sauce.. I'm not one for steamed puddings, but I was very pleasantly surprised (shame daughter wouldn't even try one :roll: :cry: ) The next day a single pudding microwaved very successfully for a minute :thumbsup

I think I may have a go with some different flavourings .. lemon, ginger, blueberries.

Apologies for re-inventing the wheel ;) :thumbsup

Postby PatsyMFagan » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:44 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:I use a slicing guide - bearing in mind I can’t always tell if a line is straight or not

The one I have is helpful but I think the spaces to put the knife in are too wide and I had to get an extra long knife

I was pretty certain someone would have an answer .... :lol: :bounce: :thumbsup

Postby aero280 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:14 pm

Speculaas Biscuits now made...

IMG_3579.JPG
IMG_3579.JPG (80.49 KiB) Viewed 3606 times

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:42 pm

Nice!

Postby KeenCook2 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:52 pm

They look great, aero :thumbsup :yum

Postby aero280 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:37 pm

Thanks! :)

They taste nice too!

Postby Amyw » Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:31 pm

Pretty pleased with how this turned out . My first attempt at making chocolate bark (with added peanut butter and honeyed nuts )

Postby Earthmaiden » Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:16 pm

Wow!!

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:57 pm

That’s beautiful, Amy!

Postby KeenCook2 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:17 am

Amy :clap :clap :clap :clap stunning!

Postby Amyw » Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:37 am

Ah thank you

Postby slimpersoninside » Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:24 pm

The bark looks good.
I've never had a go at it myself but may need to, I seem to have over-bought on the chocolate I tend to cook with (decent Waitrose stuff) :oops:

When I asked hubby what shall I bake today, my suggestion of millionaires shortbread was declared too chocolaty, he suggested highlander shortbread. It's now baked and in one of the biscuit jars.
Attachments
Biscuits.jpg
Biscuits.jpg (261.38 KiB) Viewed 3455 times

Postby jeral » Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:33 pm

slimpersoninside, you posted at 2.24pm. Please tell me at 6pm if it was worth bothering making washing up by putting them in a container ;)

Same with those parmesan cheddar biscuits linked. Surely gone before the sun sets methinks.

The two things that cause me restraint are either too much bicarb (burns mouth) or too sweet. That type of confection lasts a fortnight. A blessing in disguise?

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:54 pm

The shortbread looks lovely.

I think the parmesan biscuit recipe is one that was shared amongst Wildies at one time. I have made them a good few time as preprandial nibbles and often found that they go exceedingly quickly - sometimes with none left for me :(

Postby Amyw » Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:57 pm

That shortbread looks gorgeous. I love millionaires shortbread too, always looks very special . The back was easy, a friend of mine who's a semi professional baker told me yesterday it's difficult to make , luckily after I'd done it. I'm glad though, I think one of those things where if someone tells you it's difficult beforehand, you end up screwing it up

Postby ZeroCook » Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:36 am

Very nice baking going on here ...

I made a first for me - Italian ricotta cheesecake called Otto, otto e otto. All the ingredients come in quantities of 8. Super quick and simple to make. Been eyeing it up for a while from an old cookbook. Am on a little pre festive count the calories effort (eat anything you want tho) and thought this would be good done with semi skimmed ricotta and half quantities in the 15cm/6" springform that I'm really liking and using a lot for small cakes recently. Comes in at 124 cals per 6th of a cake sized slice - not bad. It's quite light - almost like a pudding but still cake like - not like the usual dense NY cheesecakes that I make. Would probably be a bit denser using full ricotta. Lovely Italian orange zest and and vanilla flavours. I omitted the choc chips. Might add some chopped glace citrus peel instead next time.

Postby Earthmaiden » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:46 am

The flavours in your description sound lovely. Not being a huge chocoholic I think chocolate would ruin the delicate balance but peel sounds good.

You know we'll all be asking for the recipe now don't you? ;)

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:10 am

The speculaas and highlanders look super. And light too.

Amy - that is a showstopper!

You know we'll all be asking for the recipe now don't you? ;)

You read my mind.
That's a delightful looking cake.

And well done on the calorie counting too. I find it the most effective way for me to take control, if I need to.

Postby WWordsworth » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:03 pm

Today I made a chocolate sponge cake, something I have done a thousand times.

Today I burned it.

Humph.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:01 pm

ZeroCook wrote:Very nice baking going on here ...

I made a first for me - Italian ricotta cheesecake called Otto, otto e otto. All the ingredients come in quantities of 8. Super quick and simple to make. Been eyeing it up for a while from an old cookbook. Am on a little pre festive count the calories effort (eat anything you want tho) and thought this would be good done with semi skimmed ricotta and half quantities in the 15cm/6" springform that I'm really liking and using a lot for small cakes recently. Comes in at 124 cals per 6th of a cake sized slice - not bad. It's quite light - almost like a pudding but still cake like - not like the usual dense NY cheesecakes that I make. Would probably be a bit denser using full ricotta. Lovely Italian orange zest and and vanilla flavours. I omitted the choc chips. Might add some chopped glace citrus peel instead next time.

It looks delicious, but I’m often a bit puzzled in US recipes by references to whole milk or to semi-skimmed ricotta. The ricotta we get here is still made from whey, rather than directly from milk; I suspect EU regs would require this but I only skimmed through the very long Wiki articles, which confirms that milk rather than whey is primarily a US thing
Regular Supermarket ricotta is 12-13% fat here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricotta

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox