Register

What are you baking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What are you baking this week?

Postby Earthmaiden » Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:49 pm

Thanks Suelle and KC2. I was thinking it would make nice individual cakes to have in the freezer rather than being virtuous at Christmas!

I think if you're on a fat free diet then egg yolks are unsuitable - but agree that if you're not that it would be fine to add them. Yes, dates are particularly high in sugar I think. There would certainly be quite a lot of 'natural' sugar in this for anyone avoiding sugar. I'm currently trying to avoid 'treats' of all sorts except for the odd handful of raisins but may try this in due course.

Postby scullion » Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:54 pm

jeral wrote:At the back of my mind, I remember my Cornish ex MIL used to add water, just a teaspoon or three sprinkled on the filling of the big ones she'd make, which weren't dry nor the pastry soggy. Do any of our Pasty Pros do that?

no, i don't.
some people put a knob of butter or some clotted in down here, maybe it depends on the quality/quantity of meat used. as i make cheese ones i think there's probably enough fat in that plus i use a fair amount of onion and other veg (carrot and turnip - and fresh parsley) to potato ratio.
i chip/thinly slice the veg and use swede (yellow turnip) - i don't think i've ever had or seen one made with white turnip - bit up-market for down here!
i have a turnip waiting in the kitchen...

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:12 pm

I did something I don't often do and made a plain white sandwich loaf for a change- not Nigella's, as soured milk is still off my menu

Had some for breakfast, nice, and of course will toast some tomorrow

Postby aero280 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:10 am

While browsing through my unsorted pile of recipes yesterday looking to check for the Dan Lepard stollen one, I came across the recipe for speculatius biscuits. If the spice mix is still OK, I think I’ll make a batch.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... kie-recipe

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:39 am

They look interesting. I thought for a moment that the spice mix was for one batch! I notice they are called cookies, do they make a hard or soft biscuit?

Postby aero280 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:52 am

The biscuits have a snap to them. If you make them 5mm thick, as in the instructions, they can be a bit soft in the middle. I have played with the recipe and roll them a bit thinner and they are crisp all the way through. It really depends on the baking time.

Postby Suelle » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:45 pm

aero280 wrote:While browsing through my unsorted pile of recipes yesterday looking to check for the Dan Lepard stollen one, I came across the recipe for speculatius biscuits. If the spice mix is still OK, I think I’ll make a batch.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... kie-recipe

It is a lovely recipe! :D
Traditional home baking, and more:
http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:47 pm

aero280 wrote:The biscuits have a snap to them. If you make them 5mm thick, as in the instructions, they can be a bit soft in the middle. I have played with the recipe and roll them a bit thinner and they are crisp all the way through. It really depends on the baking time.

Thanks! I like crisp biscuits.

Postby aero280 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:28 pm

You have to watch the bake. They go from cooked to burnt quite quickly, and as they are dark brown it’s hard to tell!

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:15 pm

I was just thinking mince pies and this popped up. https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/n ... ie-recipes

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:21 pm

No, no, no. Chocolate chips and Brownies are a step too far :lol:.

We used to really enjoy hot slices of a large mincemeat plate pie with custard during the cold months after Christmas. I also often did one in the shape of a large Christmas tree decorated with glace cherries etc. It was an idea from a magazine where they called it a Mincemeat Tranche. That was about as fancy as mince pie got in those days!

Postby Amyw » Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:10 pm

I've got nine days off now so am going to do some baking I think . I quite fancy doing something a little bit challenging technically, maybe a bit more decorative .

I did make a quiche at the weekend with some boursin I'd found at the back of the fridge, mushrooms and spinach . I added a bit of cayenne pepper to the pastry which was nice and will do again

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:12 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:We used to really enjoy hot slices of a large mincemeat plate pie with custard during the cold months after Christmas.

We used to have that too
I took a mincemeat lattice tart to my ex's family one Christmas, and his Cordon Bleu trained sister was impressed! She simply hadn't thought beyon the little round things, but it was just what my mum used to do, my grandma's mincemeat in Fanny Craddock's sweet shortcrust, in fact I think the lattice pie concept may have been hers

Postby aero280 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:16 pm

Speculaas biscuits will now be tomorrow. I have the ingredients but, embarrassingly, a couple are way out of date and smell horrid... :oops: :oops: :oops:

Postby PatsyMFagan » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:51 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:I did something I don't often do and made a plain white sandwich loaf for a change- not Nigella's, as soured milk is still off my menu

I am using Kefir instead of soured milk Sue, you really wouldn't know. Daughter had a couple of slices this morning and declared it delicious :yum This was 50/50 white and wholemeal flour, half the salt and the kefir ... I feel honoured that she commented in the positive. :thumbsup

Postby KeenCook2 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:59 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:I was just thinking mince pies and this popped up. https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/n ... ie-recipes

I think the mincemeat traybake with frangipane looks nice, but does Cat/aka Curly really use margerine for the frangipane and butter for the pastry? I'm not averse to using marge in recipes where I think it won't make much difference, that have loads of spice or treacle or whatever, but I would always use butter in something like frangipane.
When she describes the method, she does refer to "butter" when she's making the frangipane itself :? :D

I'm definitely not keen on the idea of mince pies with chocolate chips or brownie mix.

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:10 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:
Stokey Sue wrote:I did something I don't often do and made a plain white sandwich loaf for a change- not Nigella's, as soured milk is still off my menu

I am using Kefir instead of soured milk Sue, you really wouldn't know. Daughter had a couple of slices this morning and declared it delicious :yum This was 50/50 white and wholemeal flour, half the salt and the kefir ... I feel honoured that she commented in the positive. :thumbsup

Your daughter is still resident then Pat? :lol:

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:04 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:I am using Kefir instead of soured milk Sue, you really wouldn't know

If I ever do it I will probably use kefir, as it's cheap and available from the Polski sklep over he road

But at that moment any form of soured/fermented milk is banned from the house as it tastes weird to me, mature cheese and fresh milk are fine but not crème fraiche, or sour cheeses like mozzarella

Postby PatsyMFagan » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:17 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:

I think I need to brush up on my slicing skills ......

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:40 pm

I use a slicing guide - bearing in mind I can’t always tell if a line is straight or not

The one I have is helpful but I think the spaces to put the knife in are too wide and I had to get an extra long knife

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox