Register

What are you baking this week?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What are you baking this week?

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:19 pm

Come to mamma! That cheese cake looks gorgeous.

We've still got blackberries begging to be picked everywhere we walk along the hedgerows.
I'd rather make a crumble but Tony wants apple and blackberry pie. I've only got a quiche dish to hand, but that's fine for a pie. He has his with yoghurt, I have mine plain.
Our south facing garden is glorious in the sunshine.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:58 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:Come to mamma! That cheese cake looks gorgeous.

We've still got blackberries begging to be picked everywhere we walk along the hedgerows.
I'd rather make a crumble but Tony wants apple and blackberry pie. I've only got a quiche dish to hand, but that's fine for a pie. He has his with yoghurt, I have mine plain.
Our south facing garden is glorious in the sunshine.

Any time, Gill :) That pie looks pretty yummy :yum

So glad to hear your new place/garden is lovely - I've been wondering how you're settling in :thumbsup

Postby PatsyMFagan » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:03 pm

I got a request from daughter to make a carrot cake for her to take to work tomorrow .. this is a HB version . So today I made this and also Apple Amber - like lemon meringue pie, but using apples instead of lemons as I had been given a bag of apples in the week.

Postby slimpersoninside » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:23 pm

I made some shortbread biscuits.

Recipe had the choice of a bit of rice or corn flour. I haven't got any rice flour so used cornflour. A touch of serendipity, it turns out that's what makes them of the melt-in-the-mouth variety, my favourite! :thumbsup . I've used rice flour in the past and that makes the gritty style, still nice but not my favourite.

Glad you mentioned apple amber Patsy, used to make it years ago then lost the recipe and forgot all about it. Guess I'll have to remedy that soon.

Postby Earthmaiden » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:41 am

Nice pie Gill! So many lovely blackberries this year and I find that people are giving away windfalls by the ton too.

The shortbread with cornflour sounds lovely, as do the carrot cake and Apple Amber - I've not seen that for years.

This was Nigella's Old fashioned Chocolate cake made for DD's birthday. It is quite a dense cake which has been well-received by all but I thought seemed even better after a couple of days. I would use the recipe again for sure although I didn't use all the icing suggested. https://www.nigella.com/recipes/old-fas ... olate-cake

Nigella Birthday Cake.jpg
Nigella Birthday Cake.jpg (123.58 KiB) Viewed 4598 times

Postby smitch » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:14 pm

I made a plum frangipane tart last night based on the recipe using blackberries in 'One Tin Bakes' by Edd Kimber https://www.refinery29.com/en-gb/one-tin-bakes-edd-kimber-cheesecake-cookie-bars#slide-2

It was really good, although I probably should have left it in the oven a bit longer than I did as it was a bit soft in the middle. The plums from my veg box were lovely.

Postby KeenCook2 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:28 pm

EM, what a triumph, looks fab!!!

Postby Amyw » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:57 pm

EM that looks a very luscious naughty cake . I always think Nigellas very reliable when it comes to baking

Postby scullion » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:23 pm

looks like there's going to be a second wave of banana bread and sourdough...

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:42 pm

:lol: :lol: managed to resist both so far.

Plum frangipane tart sounds lovely.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:01 pm

slimpersoninside wrote:
Glad you mentioned apple amber Patsy, used to make it years ago then lost the recipe and forgot all about it. Guess I'll have to remedy that soon.

Same for me ... it was only having so many apples that I was reminded about this recipe- I couldn't track down the book the recipe was in. A quick google found one that fitted the bill though.

Postby Amyw » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:03 pm

https://www.one-more-slice.com/2020/05/ ... cakes.html

Bit of a fail tonight . Made these cupcakes from Ottolenghi’s “Sweet” which state they take just over 20 minutes to bake . 50 minutes later they were still raw in the middle . At the same time , I made the lemon, almond and blueberry tea cakes from the same book , cooked in the same oven and the timings for those were spot on with the book

Postby Earthmaiden » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:55 pm

What a shame, Amyw. The flour/sugar/fat ratio looks a bit odd to me. The tea cakes sound lovely though!

Postby dennispc » Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:31 pm

That cheese cake would do me and apple and blackberry in any form. Lots of blackberries around here, the hedgerows that were left after the new estate was built seem to have decided to make up for the many that were lost in the build.

The marmalade cake I asked about in the Healthy Eating section was a great success, thanks for you help especially Suelle. Started with 80g of veg oil, probably could’ve coped with less, eventually needed 50 mins in the oven. After 30 at 165C it was still very wet, increased the heat to 180C for ten minutes and then another ten. Next time I’ll try 50min at 180C.

My biggest problem was trying to line a 1lb tin, I find such things difficult anyway.

The loaf is Spelt - 300g spelt, 100g strong white bread flour as an overnight mix.

bread cake.jpg

Postby Pampy » Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:34 pm

They look lovely - very professional! :yum :yum

Postby Amyw » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:23 pm

Earthmaiden wrote:What a shame, Amyw. The flour/sugar/fat ratio looks a bit odd to me. The tea cakes sound lovely though!

http://alicebakesacake.blogspot.com/201 ... s.html?m=1

They’re not actually teacake as you and I would know them , but quite cute looking little mini cakes . Really nice and light and the flavours work well together

Postby aero280 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:15 pm

On Sunday, I will be baking bread and shortbread with my granddaughter. :)

Postby dennispc » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:23 pm

Lucky you, had many a happy hour with grand children over the years.

Pampy, the back and far end of the cake wasn’t quite so professional. :lol:the creases in the linings did their thing.

Postby aero280 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:16 pm

The last bit of bread in the bag had gone off. So we had nothing to go with the soup for a late lunch. So I made some of the yogurt flatbread. It turned out well. I will make some more. :)

Postby aero280 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:49 pm

Today I made some white bread rolls and Delia's shortbread with my granddaughter. We made some bread a while back, and she enjoyed it. But this time she decided that she didn't like having sticky hands! :(

We got there in the end, though. Bread is difficult for a small person, it's quite tough to knead, but she was happy to do a bit of that when the dough was floured and felt silky.

I don't know what Cadbury's milk chocolate is made of these days. Granddaughter wanted the shortbread to have chocolate on it, so, once baked, I put a couple of Cadbury's chocolate buttons on each piece and put them back in the oven. Even after 10 minutes and the oven at 200ºC, the buttons had not melted. not even softened enough to stick to the shortbread.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox